Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First Harley- what to buy!?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2011, 02:17 AM
aquaelvis
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Harley- what to buy!?

I am looking at buying my first Harley tomorrow and need some help. I have found 2 that I am interested in but don't know which I should get. Please feel free to add your opinion.

Bike #1: 1992 heritage softail. 28k miles, nice original condition, well taken care of. (older guy owns it) It has new tires, new batt, air filter. I can get this bike for $6600. (pretty good deal for what is around here)
I like this bike, color is good. I don't like all the trim, bags etc but that can change. I'd also like to add pipes. It doesn't "need" much. (I might be able to sell off the bags and seat to off-set some of the stuff I want for it)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Bike #2: 2004 fatboy, second owner, 6000 miles. Very clean, extra chrome, S.E. pipes, etc. I can get this bike for $8900. ($2300 more than the older EVO)
This one is the newer motor, fuel injected, etc. It is very clean. The downside is the front fender has to go and the rims. I'd be fine with the stock heritage whites and spokes and a heritage front fender. ($500 on ebay for all?) I'll probably do beach bars on either bike and new pipes- I want the samsons fishtail style.
So the fatboy needs some stuff to make it what I want. (rims, tires, fender, etc. - pipes and bars I'd do on either) It is $2300 more plus the money I'd put in. I am also not too keen on the color. Paint would not be a huge deal as my bro-in-law does that but it would be a pain and he doesn't work for free!

The fatboy is more cash and needs more money- $800 to $1000? It is new, less miles.

I can afford both, I guess. I'd rather spend $6600, that fits the budget better. Almost $9000 for the fatboy would stretch the budget and hurt a bit, but could be done.

I don't mind doing some work, in fact I'd kind of like to learn to wrench on these. I have heard it isn't hard to make an EVO scream. (I work with a guy who did heads, cam and carb and it will eat any twin cam I have seen. (and he did the work himself, not the head work)

So which one is the better bike? I haven't owned a Harley before so I can't say for sure what kind of riding I will do. I assume a lot of around town and some 40-60 mile runs to local areas. (not over night, just a trip through the canyons for a beer and lunch, then back home)
I am 6 ft tall, 230 pounds.

All your opinions are welcome. Please say why you feel the way you do though, so I know where your coming from.

Old 02-24-2011, 03:10 AM
HoggyMtnBreakdown
Elite HDF Member
Received 121 Likes on 87 Posts

I don't know. Those are both really nice bikes and you couldn't really go wrong with either. It's a very personal thing. Do you want that classic Harley "potato-potato" sound at idle. If so, the Heritage will be the bike to have. Do you want it to start every time, even in the cold? The EFI Fatboy will do that. Most old-school H-D lovers like carbed bikes better - they're easier to wrench on, especially for beginners. EFI bikes are more of a "maintenance free" bike, but can be more of a pain to wrench (depending on the project). It really comes down to which you think will be better for you after weighing all the pros & cons of both bikes.

Old 02-24-2011, 05:31 AM
FatBoyVeteran
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can't go wrong with a fatty.

Get the bike that fits. The Heritage and Fatboy are very similar bikes in general. But the 2 you are looking at will be worlds apart. Not only the year difference but the options as well. Both of them will ride different.

Let the bike decide if its right for you.....not the other way around. I would go to a dealer first and do demo rides. You may find that neither model is really the perfect fit for you.....

Old 02-24-2011, 05:49 AM
dbell66253
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Go with the one that your heart tells you to. Both are good bikes. Almost seems like you'd go with the first one, you already like it, has a few extras, and save some $$$$, well good luck with your decision.

Old 02-24-2011, 06:01 AM
KeeBee
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would find a local HD dealer that has a test ride event where you can test ride a bunch of different bikes. Hard to say until you ride both. I rode my dream bike a Night Train and a Deluxe. Ended up with a Deluxe.

Old 02-24-2011, 06:57 AM
nikonf8
Supporter
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Default buying

i think 6000 miles as opposed to 28 thousand miles is huge I do not know what type of riding you will be doing but even at 6000 miles a season that would mean over three years of riding before you hit the 28000 on the fatboy. Other option is keep looking there are some good deals out there right now its a buyers market. dont rush look for some other bikes I am sure you will find one with every thing you want be patient

Old 02-24-2011, 07:07 AM
knewt5
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by nikonf8
i think 6000 miles as opposed to 28 thousand miles is huge I do not know what type of riding you will be doing but even at 6000 miles a season that would mean over three years of riding before you hit the 28000 on the fatboy. Other option is keep looking there are some good deals out there right now its a buyers market. dont rush look for some other bikes I am sure you will find one with every thing you want be patient
I think I would keep looking. There are lotsa bikes out there and many with the mods you are looking for already on them. It doesn't seem to me that you love either bike and I'd be willing to be the one you love is out there

Old 02-24-2011, 07:25 AM
hdgzr
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,805 Likes on 809 Posts

You indicate you'll be stripping the Heritage down, and changing bars, pipes, etc. on either bike...it seems to come down to mileage and motor.

I'd go with the Fatty...

Old 02-24-2011, 07:46 AM
jdsmitty10
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I def be going with the newer model less mileage bike for the price difference. The question is, are these bikes the style u always wanted in a Harley? When I was lookin, I saw a perfect standard with less than 1000 miles, good price, and all that, almost bought it. Didn't which now I am really glad I didn't since my dream Harley was always a deuce. Months later came across a low mileage good price 07(rare) deuce on eBay and couldn't be happier. Just make sure it's what u really want before spending the cash money

Old 02-24-2011, 08:54 AM
KumaRide
Elite HDF Member
Received 187 Likes on 148 Posts

Sounds like you can spend ~$10k on a bike. Keep looking for an 02+ that has the stuff you want - color, low miles, Heritage fender. Lots of used bikes out there.

Quick Reply: First Harley- what to buy!?