Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chrome mastercylinder

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 03:39 PM
thelawnmowerman
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Chrome mastercylinder

Looking for some advice on which way to go on this, I want to put chrome mastercylinder and clutch bracket and lever as well as the switch housings, and I cant make my mind up on whether to go with the genuine HD items or some of the many rechromed items available on fleabay,
Whats the chrome quality like of the Hd ones ? .
The other option suggested to me was to get a dress up kit for them, but although I havent seen them in the flesh I figure they might look crap.
I have to do something as my M/C has been leaking from the top and blistered the paint.

Old 02-22-2011, 03:45 PM
Fatboy Brian
Grand HDF Member
Received 467 Likes on 192 Posts

Most of HD chrome plating is high quality. I went with several aftermarket chrome controls with very poor plating and 2 master cylinders that did not work correctly. Ended up going to the HD brand and no problems since.

Old 02-22-2011, 03:48 PM
Busch80
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by thelawnmowerman
Looking for some advice on which way to go on this, I want to put chrome mastercylinder and clutch bracket and lever as well as the switch housings, and I cant make my mind up on whether to go with the genuine HD items or some of the many rechromed items available on fleabay,
Whats the chrome quality like of the Hd ones ? .
The other option suggested to me was to get a dress up kit for them, but although I havent seen them in the flesh I figure they might look crap.
I have to do something as my M/C has been leaking from the top and blistered the paint.
I bought my chrome levers and housings on J&P and saved a good bit of money over HD.

From my experience, HD shops are convenient, but you pay quite a bit extra for that convenience.

Old 02-22-2011, 04:10 PM
creatv1
Tourer

ditto on Fatboy Brian's experience. I would go with the HD chrome or get yours chromed at a good shop. The aftermarket ones are Taiwanese crap unless you get into the namebrand stuff (Jaybrake, PM, etc). If your current MC isn't busted you might get away with a new gasket?

Old 02-22-2011, 04:21 PM
thelawnmowerman
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks guys,
Mines not broke, it probably would fix with a new gasket, but I'd have to take it off and paint it, the ones I've seen on Ebay are genuine HD item rechromed by a company called Pacific chromes, i wouldnt get my own ones chromed as I'd rather do a point for point swap all at the same time,

Its all new to me this as its my first Harley, an 07 deluxe and there is so many items on the market, so many costly mistakes to make too.

Old 02-22-2011, 04:29 PM
harleyheaven
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had my HD ones chromed. This was the cheapest way I could find. I actually think they look better than several HD ones I have seen. The chrome looks better to me.

Old 02-22-2011, 04:34 PM
jlasoftail
Road Warrior
Received 97 Likes on 53 Posts

I bought a cheap set off ebay and had nothing but trouble with it. I'm not saying they're all bad, but the one I got sure was... In the end, I went with the dress-up kit. It looks good IMO, and was half the price. Someday I might get the true master cylinder, but I don't regret the dress-up kit at all.

Old 02-22-2011, 05:32 PM
LFTD1
Cruiser

Drag Specialties sells a kit for everything and it is about half the price of HD.

Old 02-22-2011, 05:41 PM
tampachris
Novice

Same problems here with ebay.

Old 02-22-2011, 06:05 PM
jlasoftail
Road Warrior
Received 97 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by LFTD1
Drag Specialties sells a kit for everything and it is about half the price of HD.
I've always had great luck with Drag stuff. Good chrome and a great price.

Quick Reply: Chrome mastercylinder