Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about HD oil cooler

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 01:13 PM
pops2ride
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Question about HD oil cooler

I'm thinking about installing the newer HD oil cooler on my
'04 Heritage Softail. Part# 26157-07. HD's website says it
will fit with HD engine guard. I have a Lindby engine guard
and am wondering if anybody has used the Lindby guard with
this oil cooler. Thanks in advance. Pops.

Old 02-21-2011, 04:18 PM
fdb2007
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Funny you ask. I was at the stealer today and ask the parts guy about an oil cooler and he told me he tries to steer people away from them. I was debating between a Fuel Moto PCV or an oil cooler as a way to cool my bike down. I have definitely crossed the HD oil cooler off my list of potential mods. That said, I can't answer your question about fitment, but I can say there are a lot of folks on this forum that can steer you towards other oil coolers and they have some pretty solid things to say about them. I'll be watching to see what they say.

Old 02-21-2011, 04:25 PM
RocketRocker
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

fdb2007- so how did the stealer push you away from the oil cooler?

Old 02-21-2011, 04:34 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,608 Likes on 2,727 Posts

Well, if he's honest, lol. I haven't been terribly impressed with mine.

Old 02-21-2011, 05:10 PM
George C
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Oil coolers are a waste of money. They don't give temperature relief when you need it the most, while sitting in traffic.
Run a Synthetic oil. Syn oils do not break down or lose viscosity at high temps.

Old 02-21-2011, 05:11 PM
fdb2007
Road Master

Originally Posted by RocketRocker
fdb2007- so how did the stealer push you away from the oil cooler?
He also smirked at synthetics as the cure, but said nothing other than a hmm and a nod at the Fuel Moto idea to richen up the fuel mixture

Old 02-21-2011, 05:23 PM
TNB
Road Master

Originally Posted by fdb2007
He also smirked at synthetics as the cure, but said nothing other than a hmm and a nod at the Fuel Moto idea to richen up the fuel mixture
So does it void the Harley warranty?

Old 02-21-2011, 05:44 PM
fdb2007
Road Master

I don't know, he didn't say and I am guessin' that may be why I didn't get an out and out endorsement. I have done business with these guys for several years and bought a couple of bikes from them. They have always taken pretty good care of me. From what I understand the unit piggy backs onto your ECU or whatever it is called and can be removed while returning your bike to the previous configuation if you needed to take it in. There are a lot smarter guys on this forum when it comes to these, so please correct me if I am mistaken. I am headed in this direction though, as I don't trust compression releases--no good reason other than it seems like another component to fail. My bike is a 103 and it has never not started, but there are times when it is hot, just burned a tank of gas without stopping and it is not does not inspire confidence when I hit the starter.

Old 02-21-2011, 06:26 PM
TNB
Road Master

Next time I am at the dealer, I'll try to remember to check out the employee bikes and see if an HD cooler is installed as well as ask about it.

Around here it is 120F+ in the summer though I avoid the strip and try not to sit in traffic. It's also another reason I purchased a detachable windshield and one of those hydrovests--you soak them in water before putting them on. Otherwise, it is like riding in a blast furnice.

I am running synthetic without an oil cooler. Did the same thing with a C4 Corvette I owned, but I installed additional fans to keep it cool in traffic, especially when it comes to strip traffic on a Friday night before a holiday weekend. Anyway, when it came for the 1K check-up, I asked the guys at the service counter who was running what. Majority was synthetic. One guy did say that he didn't run synthetic, but that he had an older bike and changed the oil twice as often as the recommended service compared to my bike.

Old 02-21-2011, 06:44 PM
fdb2007
Road Master

I ran synthetic in my other bikes, but have stuck with dino oil on this one so far, but am changing it every 2500 miles. The service guy steered me away from the synthetic, although he liked it in the other 2 holes, counter to a lot of advice out there. I think I will go back to synthetic this summer though. I rode my RK--mostly stock 96 with syn, out your way a few years ago in Jun, wasn't quite Aug hot and I had no issues with it, but the Heritage would struggle out there in the summer. Sorry Pops2ride, didn't mean to hijack this, but I hope you got some insight into oil coolers even though your original question is still dangling as far as an HD cooler fitting with your bars.

Quick Reply: Question about HD oil cooler