Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

my bike is making a noise

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2011, 06:59 PM
caletcb
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default my bike is making a noise

Ok my 09 deluxe is making a tinging type sound when its in a slight bind. Say for instance, if im running along in 6 th gear and go to pass someone if i give her a lil throttle or a pretty good bit of throttle it makes a ting ting noise. Kinda like the noise you hear when your exhaust is cooling down. Is this normal?

Old 02-20-2011, 07:22 PM
cpiad
Account Closed
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by caletcb
Ok my 09 deluxe is making a tinging type sound when its in a slight bind. Say for instance, if im running along in 6 th gear and go to pass someone if i give her a lil throttle or a pretty good bit of throttle it makes a ting ting noise. Kinda like the noise you hear when your exhaust is cooling down. Is this normal?
When u added throttle in 6th gear....then it "tinged"....might be pinging....predetonation. To verify... get into 5th...slow down to about 40mph...at about 1500 rpm roll hard on the throttle....if it replicates the ting...or sounds like a can full of marbles being shaken up...then its pinging.

I've also noticed a pinging sound when I cross a bridge or go through a tunnel....or get too close to a retaining wall....I've ridden other big Harley and they did it too. We figured it is some sort of resonance from the belt echo... or some other moving or rotating part....this is more of a zing....zing....zing....and....this is not a problem.

If its pinging...and you confirm it...throttle up under load at low rpm in higher gears...then post back and we can work on that for you. Pinging....if its really bad....can ruin your day...and a couple of paychecks.

Old 02-20-2011, 07:27 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

Are U running middle grade fuel.?? if so go to 91oct or better.
winter gas is different than summer mix.. Worse
could be timing caused..

Old 02-20-2011, 07:43 PM
caletcb
Tourer

I guess it is pinging. It doesnt do it when gearing up and accelerating hard, say when leaving a red light. Just when you throttle up pretty heavy in a higher gear

Old 02-20-2011, 07:58 PM
caletcb
Tourer

Today i put the 87 octane in it

Old 02-20-2011, 08:05 PM
cpiad
Account Closed

I guess it is pinging. It doesnt do it when gearing up and accelerating hard, say when leaving a red light. Just when you throttle up pretty heavy in a higher gear
I agree...have you stuck on a free breather-big sucker? How about fuel? These newer bikes do not like the cheap stuff...and the hate ethanol. If you have installed a free-ed up breather...the factory computer can't compensate enough for it...and the factory is running these things lean and timing advanced.

First thing....fuel. Go premium...if u have it available...see if nearby SUNOCO station is selling CAM2...get a thankful for grins...if no pinging..then its fuel. If you opened up the intake and or exhaust (stage 1)...then u need to think about an aftermarket computer so you can adjust afr and timing. For now....if u can ...throttle and gear in such a way so as to avoid what you already know is gonna happen....a little warning ping ok...lots of ping ...bad.

Old 02-20-2011, 08:09 PM
cpiad
Account Closed

Today i put the 87 octane in it
Just read that...no...no...no.....u got to use premium. Man..I even spring for CAM2 from time to time just to boost the octane up....matter of fact...use up that 87 soonest...and if u can find it fill up with CAM2....problem solved.

Old 02-20-2011, 08:09 PM
Crazylegs
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Try adding octane boost to your 87 to see if that helps.

Old 02-20-2011, 09:44 PM
caletcb
Tourer

Originally Posted by Crazylegs
Try adding octane boost to your 87 to see if that helps.
i will try that tomorrow and pray that it helps. i was told by a mechanic that i didnt need to run a high octane gas so much for that loosers opinion, huh. thanks guys i will let yall know the outcome.

Old 02-20-2011, 10:00 PM
cpiad
Account Closed

i will try that tomorrow and pray that it helps. i was told by a mechanic that i didnt need to run a high octane gas so much for that loosers opinion, huh. thanks guys i will let yall know the outcome.
....I'm not a mechanic...just been around motors most of my life...try and stay away from stuff you buy at pep-boys, etc. Your best bet is to either find a SUNOCO station that sells CAM2 or ride to a nearby racetrack and see if someone will feel bad enough for u and sell you a few gallons of CAM2. U really don't know what's in those bottles they sell at Autozone etc....probably napthalene...can do more harm. Just try and use up that 87 without pinging the engine ....and at 1/4 full...and from then on...nothing but premium will do..and if u can find fuel without ethanol much the better.

We all live and learn.

Quick Reply: my bike is making a noise