Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OK, One more Fatboy question.

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 07:25 PM
CJinNH
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I started looking for my bike I started at 07 and up, I wanted newer figuring that things would be better. My preference was for a more classic looking bike and IMO the fat 200 tire did not look retro to me. I also hated the tank graphics as others have stated...I mean hated. I like the 150 tire on my bike, seems to fit it better IMO...and love the tank badge. I love my bike, it has 10,000 miles on it and I know I'll have to deal with the cam tensioners in a bit, but I can deal with it. I don't know what 6 speeds are like, so I have no input there. My thoughts on choosing the 05 are only becuase of my personal preferences, that's why I got my 03...also found it for less than $9k, which made the decision even easier.

Old 02-22-2011, 10:30 AM
Deadwood Dick
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You guys aren't making this any easier for me.
It appears that everyone prefers the bike that they own. That's a good sign, so I guess any fatboy I get I'll be happy with.

Old 02-22-2011, 11:19 AM
Shakeydeal
Outstanding HDF Member

If the cosmetic mods float your boat, go for the 05. But if you plan on changing stuff out to make it your own, you are talking more $$. Custom wheels are expensive, so if you like the ones on the bike now, that's a helluva plus. And contrary to what's been said here, that 95 build will absolutely kill a stock 96. My vote is for the 05, IF, you like the way it looks.

Shakey

Old 02-22-2011, 12:57 PM
ngoti8tor
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Deadwood Dick
Been driving myself crazy about what to buy in about a week. At least I narrowed it down to the Fatboy. I'm basically deciding between two choices, a friend's '05 and a later model ('07 to '09). The cost will be very close.

First, details about the '05. It has the 95" upgrade with Power Commander. A little over 4,000 miles. It has a crapload of add-ons, such as Vance & Hines pipes, custom wheels, detachable sissybar & windshield, chrome all over the place, speedo w/tach, lowered, and a custom paint job. I know the history of this bike, and it is in impeccable condition.

Next, I was considering a later model, '07 to '09. I've been seeing alot around with low miles. They tend to be mostly stock and have after-market pipes. Of course I would not know the service history.

Like I said, the cost will be very close. I understand that the '05 with the 95" kit would run circles around a stock 96". So, with just this information, which would be the best way to go, also considering resale value. Although I tend to get attached to a bike, so I'll have it for a long time. Thanks for taking the time to read all of this stuff.
I'm not going to tell you which to buy, but if you decide on a '07 - '09, I would stay away from the '07 because of the offset of the wheels. A lot of people that own them aren't happy with the offset and Harley won't do anything to correct the issue.
The offset was addressed and corrected in the '08 model, which I have and I love it.

Old 02-22-2011, 01:00 PM
JIMSFBL
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by deadwood dick
you guys aren't making this any easier for me.
It appears that everyone prefers the bike that they own. That's a good sign, so i guess any fatboy i get i'll be happy with.
exactly!!!!!!!

Old 02-25-2011, 08:48 PM
Deadwood Dick
Cruiser

Alright..one MORE question for you guys. I was looking at a couple 2009's with higher miles, about 29,000-ish. Do these later models still have the cam chain tensioner issues?

Old 03-01-2011, 07:17 PM
ngoti8tor
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Deadwood Dick
Alright..one MORE question for you guys. I was looking at a couple 2009's with higher miles, about 29,000-ish. Do these later models still have the cam chain tensioner issues?
No, they do not.

Old 03-01-2011, 08:55 PM
FroggyFatBoy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by ngoti8tor
I'm not going to tell you which to buy, but if you decide on a '07 - '09, I would stay away from the '07 because of the offset of the wheels. A lot of people that own them aren't happy with the offset and Harley won't do anything to correct the issue.
The offset was addressed and corrected in the '08 model, which I have and I love it.

what offset and what issue with it ?

Old 03-02-2011, 12:50 AM
tunaman
Road Warrior
Received 309 Likes on 203 Posts

There is an offset, but there is no issue... it is what it is. Unless someone brings it to your attention you'd never even notice it, but some just have a bug up their **** about it. Funny how some people will complain about anything if you give them a forum.

Roger

Old 03-02-2011, 07:08 AM
tacoma5432
Tourer

while we are on the pre 07 fatboy talk... I got a 06 carbed and can you all gimme some ideas to beef up my motor a lil bit... Just want to have some more ***** to the bike if ya know what i mean. HELP!!!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: OK, One more Fatboy question.