Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OK, One more Fatboy question.

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2011, 04:29 PM
WARG
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I would go with the 05, but I simply prefer the styling of the pre 07 bikes. Both will be great bikes so you need to decide if you want a turn key bike or a blank canvas.

Old 02-20-2011, 05:56 PM
FatBoyVeteran
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tunaman
Spoken like true owners of pre-'07 bikes... until you've ridden the 96 with the six speed you just can't appreciate it. Sure, the 96" displacement isn't much more than the 88, but the transmission and other advances are well worth it, as is the wider rear.

Knowing what I know, I'd never go for a pre-'07 bike myself, nor would I recommend one.

To each their own, though...

The other thing is whether you want to make it your own, or settle for someone else's vision and upgrades. Some don't care, others do... which are you? In the end, you have to be happy with whatever it is you purchase, so think it through and the decision should come clear.

Roger

Engines aren't much different. You may get more outta the 88 upgraded to a 95 but not if you take a 96 and upgrade it to a 103.

Is your buddy's a carb or EFI? A lot of guys like the carb.....but bottom line is EFI is the future of the bikes. Whether you want to admit it or not, it is. Sorry, it is what it is.

The transmission is key. That 6 gear transmission is nice to have, especially at highway speeds. I have also found that when I ride with my buddy who has a 5 speed down the twisting turning backroads in the foothills, he spends a lot more time shifting thru 3rd, 4th, and even 5th while I can stay in 4th most of the time....with an occasional switch to 5th for a longer straightaway.
This will allow you to be better prepared and concentrate on the road and not the gear selection.

And the blank canvas vs. someone's dream. Get a newer one and make it your own.....or buy the older one and deal with it. And remember, upgrades are nice....but they don't always make the bike worth a whole lot more.

And if you want to consider resale....the '05 is gonna lose a lot of resale value once a dealer can no longer offer an extended warranty on it. So unless you do private sale....your gonna be stuck between a rock and a hard place. But even with private sale, you will still need to compete with newer bikes all over the place.

Old 02-20-2011, 10:05 PM
4-Banger
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd go w/the '05; don't like wide wheels on most bikes & now find the Deluxe to be the best looking bike in the showroom (have 04 F-boy so could be biased). Can't warm up to the new F-boys & prefer bobbed fenders on wide rubber - just my opinion...but all good, no wrong choice

Old 02-20-2011, 10:31 PM
HoggyMtnBreakdown
Elite HDF Member
Received 121 Likes on 87 Posts

For looks, the pre-'07 FB's win IMO. Sound, too. Especially if it's carbed, which it most likely is. For reliability and riding comfort, however; the '07-'11 EFI 96Bs w/6 speed transmission are where it's at.

Old 02-20-2011, 10:34 PM
FatBoyLarry
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Buy a brand new bike.

Life is real short my friend. Get a 2011 with warranty and all the latest & greatest.

Old 02-21-2011, 12:25 AM
tunaman
Road Warrior
Received 309 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by FatBoyVeteran
Engines aren't much different. You may get more outta the 88 upgraded to a 95 but not if you take a 96 and upgrade it to a 103.
...or beyond...

The transmission is key. That 6 gear transmission is nice to have, especially at highway speeds. I have also found that when I ride with my buddy who has a 5 speed down the twisting turning backroads in the foothills, he spends a lot more time shifting thru 3rd, 4th, and even 5th while I can stay in 4th most of the time....with an occasional switch to 5th for a longer straightaway.
Precisely... my buddy has an '05, and we've swapped a couple of times on runs, once on Angeles Crest Highway in So Cal, and the 5 speed absolutely spent most of the time shifting while the 6 speed was mostly in one gear. Yet when getting on it, the 6 speed goes through the gears great because of the spacing.

Ane while I personally love the fatter rear tire, the only time you see it is when you're looking at it from the rear... don't quite see why anyone would be that biased one way or the other, but to each their own and that is why there are different models and different mods out there.

Roger

Old 02-21-2011, 04:06 PM
cpiad
Account Closed
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

.... having owned various carb'ed and EFI machines over the last 40+ years ... if you live in the south ... and u don't have strict emissions checking ... carburator wins out anytime ... everytime ... and I say this riding a 2010 Fatboy ... from which I had to pitch out the factory ECM to get the thing to start up correctly and run with some guts ...

Last edited by cpiad; 02-21-2011 at 04:11 PM.
Old 02-21-2011, 05:25 PM
Dixie Dreg
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yep, 05. Don't get the potato with EFI.

Old 02-21-2011, 06:12 PM
sal5429
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

agree with Tunaman , had an 02 fatboy replaced it with an o7 , it's like night and day , some bugs had to be fixed , but man I love it now.

Old 02-21-2011, 06:14 PM
spydyr
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Sounds like you don't have the "07 to 09" option narrowed down yet, so I'm guessing you're still in shopping mode.

Shop around and decide what you want out of the bike. Oh yes indeedy, the wheels & paint & options he has on his are worth some serious $$$, it's still an '05, and getting worn down. Probably needs some engine work done in the near future. You also got to look at whether or not you're completely happy with those aftermarket parts... otherwise you'll be getting it repainted anyway!!

With a newer (or BRAND NEW) bike, you gotta fork out all that cash for paint & rims & such, but it will definitely be YOUR bike and it will mechanically last longer. I got an '09 and I LOVE that wide 200mm rear tire!!! No small amount of rocks/gravel will control my destiny!

So...... go with what makes you happy. (I'm hoping you'd do that anyway, no matter what us jokers on here say.)

Quick Reply: OK, One more Fatboy question.