Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To Buy Or Not To Buy...

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2011, 08:21 AM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 10,363 Likes on 5,501 Posts

Originally Posted by The_Prospect
So I am currently deployed, and have the opportunity to take advantage of the military car buying program... with that being said I am being offered a 2011 Fatboy Lo for 18K (security/abs, delivery, 5 yr extend included). I have been here for nearly a year so I'm not to sure if I should just wait till i get home to purchase my bike... or have it waiting for me when i get there... what does the HD Family think?
First thing I tell all soldiers is hang on to your cash.
Way to many cases I see service members that got ahead of the game while deployed end up blowing it.
That said if you know what you want and other bill s paid go for it.
The new program is a good one. I would wait until the last minute to make the deal.No sense spending the money until you need to.
Do go nuts on the mods and jack the price way up.
Check and make sure you understand the reg regarding motorcycles. Many Unit commanders add other restriction for a period of time when first returning home. And requiring return rider to complete a current Riders course is starting to become one of them.
I know this may **** some off trust me I heard enough of it.
Fact is across all branches of the services we lose way to many on motorcycles when the first return home.
keep your head in the game enjoy the ride when you return.
The plan you can get while deployed is not the same one offered state side so if you 100% sure make the deal while deployed.
TOP out

Old 02-20-2011, 08:32 AM
fdb2007
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know about infantry leading the way, but Smitty901 just posted the best advice on this whole thread particularly: Fact is across all branches of the services we lose way to many on motorcycles when the first return home.
keep your head in the game enjoy the ride when you return.

Old 02-20-2011, 11:57 AM
RANGER73
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,335 Likes on 3,183 Posts

Wait untill you get back. This way there's no BS. And you can try differant bikes. JMO.
Stay Safe. What's your DEROS?

Old 02-20-2011, 12:20 PM
The_Prospect
Novice

Well I have had the opportunity to get on here and see what everyone has had to say, couldn’t be more happy with the results! I still have some time however so please feel free to continue to speak your minds… not to sure what DEROS is but with out changing the topic of my initial post ill go ahead and assume he was asking me my job… I’m an Assault man, in the USMC Infantry. Until next time… Keep the painted side up my friends! Cant wait to join everyone back home.

Old 02-20-2011, 12:30 PM
RANGER73
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,335 Likes on 3,183 Posts

Sorry Marine. Date Elegible to Return from OverSeas. (old school I guess)

Old 02-20-2011, 12:38 PM
richmac64
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought my HD through the AAFES program but took delivery overseas in Korea. I bought it through them because the price compared to the MSRP was about $2000 less. I have also bought a car before coming back from Germany and ran into a dealer who was a jerk. I forget what it was called but he dealt with sales to rental car places and stuff like that, not the usual salesman. It was a Friday and he wanted to leave so he was of no help. Although since I bought it through AAFES they helped us and made it good.

Bottom line, know the MSRP and determine if you think you can get a better deal from a dealership. I'm know the local dealers aren't thrilled about these deals because they don't make much money, but that money is in your pocket. If you plan on doing mods before you get it that will make them a little happier because then they make some money.

Old 02-20-2011, 12:56 PM
Airborne350G
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Also if a dealer beats the AAFES price get it in writing and show it to AAFES and they will match the price.

Old 02-20-2011, 01:18 PM
kromdom
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

+100 to advice from smitty901 above

Bought my 1st Harley ever (95 FLSTC) via the Overseas Car Sales Program while I was stationed in Guam back in 93-95. Had the bike titled/registered/plated while still in Guam and had the bike delivered to Vegas.

Paid the dealer about $15 in some transfer fee then rode the bike home to Long Beach, CA. Saved a ton in sales tax and around $3K in purchase price.

Old 02-20-2011, 05:12 PM
cpiad
Account Closed
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by The_Prospect
So I am currently deployed, and have the opportunity to take advantage of the military car buying program... with that being said I am being offered a 2011 Fatboy Lo for 18K (security/abs, delivery, 5 yr extend included). I have been here for nearly a year so I'm not to sure if I should just wait till i get home to purchase my bike... or have it waiting for me when i get there... what does the HD Family think?
I think you are doing ok ...not great ... but not bad all. I picked up a 2010 Fatboy Lo last year for about 17.2k stateside in Florida, but I got soaked in the trade ... not a lot of people buying these things nowadays ... but .. if you add the ABS and other smaller cost goodies ... you are getting a pretty good deal at $18k and you don't need to be scrounging around from dealer to dealer like I did ... plus .. it'll give you something to look forward to ... "Mary-Sue" and a new bike!!!!

No matter how you get it ... you will enjoy the Fatboy Lo ... I've put about 10k on mine this year ... and I still enjoy the crap out of it. Save some $ for mods ... good luck and be safe.

PS: My nephew is over in Afghanistan ... he is gonna want a Harley when he gets back

Old 02-20-2011, 05:19 PM
shadechaser
Intermediate

I bought my 2011 Lo thru the AAFES. It was delivered in Dec 10. I still havent made it home to ride it yet, that has been the worst part of the whole deal. As far as the deal itself went, well the price was better than my local HD shop and since it they deal with the military alot they were very helpful and nice. As far as AAFES, they sent the wrong bike at first which caused my bro some problems, then they messed up the next delivery date again. Also some crap with them sending me money and then wanting it back, right lol. it allready was spent on a mod and still in the package in my garage. All in all they were a really sh!tty company to deal with and it was alot of hassle but the price was good so it is still a toss up if I would recomend them. Like another poster stated check your local dealer they might make a deal with you.

Quick Reply: To Buy Or Not To Buy...