Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Riding Gear Questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2011 | 06:20 PM
Timmy B
Outstanding HDF Member
From: 12 year, Colombia, 4 years Mexico, currently In Kuwait, but Boston is HOME!!

Originally Posted by kzoo
OK folks, just took delivery (to storage) of my 04 Heritage. Now I realize I should have kept my gear from years ago, but didnt.

A few questions, and I know a lot of these are preferences, but I figured I would ask experienced riders. I need to "gear up" before spring.

Most of my riding will be commuting about 40 miles each way on the highway and city streets...and a lot of pleasure cruising, nothing too long.

Helmet - full face, half, open face?
Jacket - Leather, fabric ?
Boots - High, low, zip, lace etc.
Gloves _ I will only ride with full finger after prior experiences a long time ago.
Any suggestions are appreciated, as well as opinions. I am trying to do this on a budget of about $350 total, so please keep this in mind.

Thanks

Dude,
#1. Quality of whatever you buy should be the best you can get. You do not have to run out and get all the best stuff rigth away. It makes no sense to buy a cheap product that you will only replace when you get the money for soemthing that you really wanted months later. Use what will suffice and save for things that are nice.

#2 Helmet: I have three: a full facer for the rain HJC 375.00 HJC Half helmet 150.00 on sale, and a 25.00 skully.
they are all Nice helmets but I do not like to wear them, I know, WTF your trying to be bad ***, it bothers the chit out of me. I wear the old skull cap with a bandana under it and it still bothers me. I have the full facer and a halfy in the trunk if I get pulled over, which I never do, but you never know. Sometimes I will switch to the shorty on the interstate, not that it matters if I dump. I live in a helmet state if you get pulled over and if you dont have a d.o.t your walking.

jacket: KERR Leather 300.00 and change 14 years ago still looks new. Very heavy with vents.

Boots: Free I have a pair of old motorcyle boots they were my dads, super comfortable, I know bad karma wearing someother guys boots, but they were my dads so it was not just some other guy

Gloves: Kerr Full fingers 75.00 bucks had them for years as well.

Good gear is expensive. Buy quality first, you will not regret it.

Old 02-18-2011 | 06:31 PM
Timmy B
Outstanding HDF Member
From: 12 year, Colombia, 4 years Mexico, currently In Kuwait, but Boston is HOME!!

Originally Posted by hdgzr

WOW!!!!!! Well.... I guess back when I was 12 or 13 when I got my fisrt Dirt bike and my dad bought me my first Scott gear: pants, shirt, helmet and gloves I was the same way.

Buddy might want to take off his gloves when putting on his brain cap, I guess over time he will learn to do it with them on,

But I sure do not want to be riding near this guy on the road. His friend sure thinks his transformation is funny. Well.. it takes all kinds I guess.

Last edited by Timmy B; 02-18-2011 at 06:33 PM.
Old 02-18-2011 | 07:02 PM
Rakthi
Road Warrior

I get most of my stuff from these guys:

http://www.motorcyclegear.com/

Check out their close-out section for good quality gear at discount prices ...

And for gear ... I live in the tropics and wear a Shoei full face helmet, boots, armored jeans with protectors, leather gloves with vents and a mesh riding jacket. Might be hot from time to time, but a couple of accidents 25+ years ago was enough for me to never ever ride without the proper gear ...

Last edited by Rakthi; 02-18-2011 at 07:09 PM.
Old 02-18-2011 | 07:10 PM
RocketRocker
Road Master

Bad Boy Brad!!! Funny chit! I had to watch a few of them and ran across this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cs22KAw8Woo

Old 02-18-2011 | 07:49 PM
Raddazzz
Road Captain

I live in Michigan also and say leather head to toe works the best. It can be hot as hell when you take off and you can freeze your *** off all the way home when it gets dark. Plus it rains alot ....Just unzipp the jacket on warmer days..

Old 02-18-2011 | 11:22 PM
BassCatcher
Grand HDF Member

It's tough to do what you want for under three bills.

Mine:
Helmet: I have three. 1/2, 3/4 and FF modular. I wear all three depending on the weather. Estimate all three ran about $350.

Jacket: I have several of these as well. Heavy leather for cold weather, $100. Chaps, $90. Lighter motorcycle jacket with zip out liner for mild days, $100.

Boots: I wear Sears leather steel toed boots. $80.

Gloves: I have three sets. Heavy ski type for when it's cold. $15. Light lined leather gloves and super thin deer skin gloves. $20.

I guess you can start out spending less and having just one of each but in the midwest you can't do that if you want to ride year round.

Old 02-19-2011 | 12:15 AM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army

Open face helmet. Might as well drive a cage if you are wearin a full face.

Jacket, either leather or denim.

Boots. Higher the better. Lace so you can make them nice and tight.

You asked, that's my answer.

Old 02-19-2011 | 12:52 AM
Rubbit
Road Captain

Helmets, if your not going to ride when its cold, half helmet(daytonahelmets.com) about $150.
Jacket, I wear a Alpinestar ive had for years, but a HD one for summer, leather forever though. Mesh, you might as well wear a t-shirt.
Boots, i wear HD zipper leather, its easy however i do wear DocMartins as well and there more comfortable to walk in.
Gloves, fingerless in the summer (leather) but otherwise full finger rest of the year.
As said before, it is personal preference but i have a lot of different gear for different riding for different times of years.

Old 02-19-2011 | 01:53 AM
Recon Dad
Cruiser

Helmet - I use full face in winter go down to 1/2 in warm weather
Jacket - Leather in winter, long sleeve shirt in summer
Boots - Need to cover ankles
Gloves _ Full finger always.

Buy USA made products. I have been riding for 50 years, just my two cents.