Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

line of sightdeluxe windshield heights

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2006, 01:38 PM
mrsnipy
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default line of sightdeluxe windshield heights

The wife changed her order from a std softail to a deluxe, she wants a windshield installed when she gets the bike.
she has been riding my dads heritage for a while now and the windshield edge is directly in her line of sight. does the std heritage winshield fall in the same location on the deluxe? any 5"11 or 6' riders have any suggestions. WE see they list a mid high in the catalog but dealer doent stock anything but heritage std all else is a special order. My brother has the low profile on hid fat boy and it is way to low and there is tons of buffeting on that one.
Bob

Old 10-07-2006, 03:13 PM
Luxe
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: line of sightdeluxe windshield heights

I bought the Deluxe Nostalia tall windshield for my Deluxe. I found it to be too tall. I had a glass shop trim it by 1.5" now it's perfect. The short windshield is 3" shorter that the tall. I am 5'8". If your wife is taller than 5'6" the short Nostalia winshield will likel;y be too short to be affective. Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Luxe.
Name:  100_2805.jpg
Views: 13
Size:  163.0 KB

Old 10-07-2006, 03:42 PM
mrsnipy
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks, Luxe. Maybe that windshield will be ok for her, she is 6ft maybe the top edge will be low enough. the delux does sit lower than the heritage but I think the forks are the same height so the winshield will be different on the deluxe.

Thanks, Bob

Old 10-07-2006, 03:48 PM
Rhubarb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I like mine much lower. But its all personal preference.
Buy it as high as you can get, and take away until you are happy with the height.

You can always remove, but you cant add... Same price either way.

Also, the installation is so simple, i wouldn't pay dealer rates to do it.

Old 10-07-2006, 03:55 PM
atomic
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I actually put a the Standard size windshield on my deluxe this morning. I am 6' 1" and if I sit perfectly upright I can see over the top. In my normal riding position I look through it. I only road it for a couple of miles because it is cold and rainy.

Old 10-07-2006, 10:35 PM
Jersey
Intermediate

At 6-1, I can see over the top of my standard size windshield and thats ok because I only use the windshield in the colder months.

Old 10-08-2006, 01:16 PM
sfcmo357
Road Warrior
Received 152 Likes on 60 Posts

I look through mine at 5'11"............but I had my seat reworked to put me back and down an inch. If I sit up very straight; I can see over it. If I offset my head to the right or left a little I can see over the right or left edge. Most here say to look over it because of rain or at night. But most here in Fayetteville look through theirs. They have no problems even when caught in the rain or at night. This confused me a little....but I decided to go with what works for me. I see through mine fine although I haven't gotten caught in the rain yet. For only cold weather riding---I'll leave mine as is (lookin through it) until I feel otherwise

Old 10-08-2006, 03:23 PM
XARAN
Stellar HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

I'm 6'2" and have a C& C seat that lowers me about 1 inch. I bought the HD Low Profile Tinted Windshield for my FLSTFI , I understand that it is 3" shorter (18) that the full size (21). I look over it the top is just between my chin and tip of nose. It works great for me , no buffeting, a little wind in the face, If I lean it blocks almost all wind from the face. I dont like to look through the windshield because of the distortion.

Old 10-10-2006, 02:28 AM
atomic
Road Warrior

Well I just drove to work today with the windshield on. I don't really like it at all. I pretty much have to look through it. It was quickly covered with bugs. On the ride home the sunlight was hiting it and I pretty much drove blind for a few seconds. Plus in the turns you are looking outside the windshield and then back throught the windshield.

At 6' 1" I am probably on the taller side of Deluxe riders and if I am forced to look through it most other people are going to look through it. Didn't get much wind at all. Even my hands weren't getting too much wind.

It was nice in the morning (45 degrees) not to be cold, but I really didn't enjoy the ride home without the wind hitting me. I like the look of it. I am thinking about seeing if I can return it. I also bought the windshield bag...so I will be out a bit of money if I can't ...even with the 20% discount I got.

Old 10-10-2006, 09:45 PM
Bluerose

I'm 5' 8". I also looked directly at the top edge of the Heritage Windshield.

I have (had) the King Size Nostalgic on my Deluxe. Like sfcmo357 I had my seat reworked and I was put back and down so I was looking through the windshield. Mostly it was a problem at night where the lights got somewhat distorted and on turns where the sheild edge got in my way for seeing around the turns (not so good for a somewhat new rider). I did not have a chance to try the rain.

I ended up cutting mine down about 3 inches which puts my eyes above the shield. I actually like it alot better and it gets the edge of the sheild out of my line of sight on the turns (I have a lot more confidence when I can see around the turn...go figure). They sell a sort Nostalgic shield but is is smoked and not clear. Cutting it down to what suited me was the best way to go. Also lets a bit more of the wind through

Quick Reply: line of sightdeluxe windshield heights