Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2 Part Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2011, 07:32 PM
Rakthi
Road Warrior
Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by jasonleahey
... but if i move back overseas it'll get costly to pay for a dyno every time i move between states and europe
Moving the bike between EU and US is going to be costly too! If you plan on doing this regularly as you make it seem, would be cheaper to just have a bike in EU and one in US.

And unless you airfreight it back and forth ($$$) takes minimal 5-6 days by ship, and then the hassle with customs ... Oh, and riding in EU with US plates, better be prepared to be stopped a lot by the local police who will want to check your ID, license and insurance.

All this aside, get a Power Vision with 2 programs, one for the US and one for EU ... hook up the thing and download the map you want. You'll probably become an expert in swapping exhaust pipes and airfilter. (To be totally confirm with the EU laws, you will also need to install the flapper valve in the air filter and get hold of a stock EU exhaust with the valve and actuator. - And yes, they can be very strict in Germany!)

Old 02-27-2011, 10:29 AM
cpiad
Account Closed
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jasonleahey
ok .. sorry been on travel ... so after reading all this it seems the auto tuner is a gimmick and a waste of time and money ... so my next question would be if i buy the main computer ( tmax or power commander, etc) is there one that i can dyno on stock save it and then redyno with the upgrades save that and be able to switch back a forth between the 2? again my concern is i would love to get new pipes and a ness big sucker but if i move back overseas it'll get costly to pay for a dyno every time i move between states and europe
Saying auto-tuner is a "gimmick and a waste of time" is a stretch ...you set a baseline set of curves and you have wide band O2 sensors ... and a preset most efficient AFR and it tries to adjust the curves as best it can with the auto tune module to hit that AFR. Is it necessary ... I don't think so .. can it be over-reactive and counter-productive on a specfic application yes ... but most people are not going to spend as much time as others ... trying to understand how EFI works ... how the ECM tunes ... and how to tune the engine yourself ... it takes an above average level of technical capability and degree of effort to get the curves just right ... and the autotune makes it easier for most people. There is no reason for multiple dyno runs in any event.

Only recommendation I can give is to stay away from piggy back units and add on chips and go with a complete replacement ECM. You might want to call Zippers and FuelMoto and tell them your situation and then decide what is best.

Zippers/Fuelmoto can address your most basic requirements. If you are concerned about meeting stringent EU and US Federal emmissions testing ... you are better off leaving the bike stock.

Old 03-06-2011, 03:58 AM
jasonleahey
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok so sounds like power vision is the best thing goin now ... allows me to save the stock config and the new dyno'd config with the pipes and air cleaner upgrades and will allow me to switch back and forth ... so hopefully my last question to all of you is does this thing flash the stock comoputer or do i need to buy a aftermarket cpu too ? or is the stock cpu good enough to flash with upgraded pipes and air cleaner

Old 03-06-2011, 04:27 AM
Rakthi
Road Warrior
Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts

The stock computer is perfectly OK. No need to exchange if you go with the Power Vision. There is nothing wrong with the stock ECM, only the stock software that runs on it "stinks" because it has to be EPA compliant.