Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tuner and factory warranty

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2011, 11:17 AM
Youngneg
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tuner and factory warranty

Hello, this is my questions and situation, I have a 2011 fat boy lo, and I'm looking at having a set of Vance and Hines big radius 2-1 and a SE heavy breather installed with either a TTS mastertuner or a Seprt. My motors stock for now, I only have 600 miles on her. Situation 1.... If I go with Seprt I would be done and tuned by the dealer.. With no warranty issues...Situation 2.... The TTS would be done by an Indy, who is recommended , is very comfy with the tuner, and he says it will not affect the factory warranty.... I understand if he screws something up he's responsible, but IF there was a warranty issue would MOCO turn there head because it's a TTS tuner.... I still have time to think about and digest any responses ... Because I like to do this after my 1000 service.... I'd like to get a good relations with a good wrench, and the Indy seems to be the answer....and the dealers is good.... But there well........ A dealer...... Thanks

Old 02-10-2011, 11:34 AM
watchluvr4ever
Road Captain

The dealer tries to scare you into using "their tuner" and will tell you all kinds of crap to keep you from buying elsewhere. The short answer is NO, it will not void your warranty to install an aftermarket tuner unless they can prove that it damaged your bike. Dealers look at people as sheeple, meaning that you will just do things the way they tell you too, but if you stand up to them they usually back off.

Old 02-10-2011, 12:26 PM
SMF
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what he said

Old 02-10-2011, 02:29 PM
Phatboy2010
Tourer

I was told the only thing that voids the warranty is a trailer hitch !

Old 02-10-2011, 06:13 PM
Rubbit
Road Captain

Was at a dealership a while back near where i live, not the one i bought my bike from. They were selling the Power Commander V there in parts and asked if they install, will it void the warranty. He said technically yes if the PCV causes it. Then he said that basically so does the SERT because it's for offroad use or something. Maybe it depends on the dealer, or there all just full of sh$t, it just matters how full of sh$t they are. Either way i put what i want on the bike, it's mine!

Old 02-10-2011, 06:53 PM
FXBadass
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unless you got the 5 year extended, then cross your fingers for 2 years

My dealer is good and no issues. I let them do the stage 1 before taking it, and they let me do the rest.

Old 02-10-2011, 06:54 PM
LAC187
Former Sponsor

The Magnuson Moss Act was implemented to prevent OEM's from pulling that card. Unless your aftermarket product is directly responsible for the failure they have to warranty the bike. Google it and read up on the specifics, and then tell everybody you know!

Old 02-10-2011, 07:07 PM
jlasoftail
Road Warrior
Received 97 Likes on 53 Posts

My dealer said that "there are ways around that". Simply put, I've spent enough money there that they are not going to tell HD that I put it in. They get paid, I get free work, and HD has enough of my money already. I guess they could give you a hard time if they wanted to though.

Old 02-10-2011, 07:12 PM
Gunfighter13
Cruiser

My Low Rider got cams, AC, exhaust and tuner at the 1000 mile service. My copy of the service paperwork says in the remarks block "all above dealer installed parts are covered by HD warranty".

Old 02-10-2011, 08:11 PM
Blk and Chrome
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by LAC187
The Magnuson Moss Act was implemented to prevent OEM's from pulling that card. Unless your aftermarket product is directly responsible for the failure they have to warranty the bike. Google it and read up on the specifics, and then tell everybody you know!
That is totally correct, it has to cause the failure for them not to cover it. I have seen it where it has happened but in most cases they just fix the bike and return to the owner

Quick Reply: Tuner and factory warranty