Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ape Hangers on Fatboy Lo question

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2011, 11:42 AM
jbg
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got the Wild 1 Chubby's...but mine come to me instead of over me.

Old 02-10-2011, 11:59 AM
tlb
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

It was about 5 years ago, I do not wish to state where for personal reasons. A a retiree, I do not have to worry about all of that stuff. I just wear the appropriate gear, show my ID (course is not required for retirees, if you do not work on post), and have a sticker.
I am not in the Army anymore, so I have no real opinion. However, reading posts on here, it seems many installations are getting stricter on motorcycle safety.

Originally Posted by sBender
Do you mind me asking where that was and how long ago? I'm a contractor currently on a MCB. They used to be really rigid here - to the tune that you could not ride on base without producing a rider safety coarse cert, base sticker, etc... but they have way relaxed it. Right now the only stipulation is legally registered bike, inspection sticker (for VA residents only), long sleaves, full fingered gloves and boots above the ankle (and of coarse the M designation on your license - but no one ever checks my license since I've got a green badge).

Old 02-10-2011, 12:13 PM
sBender
Tourer

tlb, it's interesting that you've observed that. I've observed the opposite but it sounds like you make it around to more places than I do. Honestly, I've never had an issue getting on base on a scoot. I did get turned around once for not displaying an inspection sticker. I'd taken the plate off when I was doing the brakes and forgot to but it back on. I also did have a nice young corpsman give me a what for because he thought my bars were too high. I just listened and nodded myhead and he waved me through.

Old 02-10-2011, 12:37 PM
tlb
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Don't you love those lectures? I had one gate guard demand that I present my safety card at the gate, a couple of years ago. I am just sitting there telling the guy, I do not work on post. It took 15 minutes for them figure out it was not required. I was not upset at the guy, he was just doing his job.
I keep reading, on here, about some installations, maybe all, requiring all riders attend a safety course when they return from a deployment, before they can ride.
I am not sure I disagree with having some adjustment time, before young guys jump on a bike that goes 150+.
Anyway, I just think the OP should stick with the state's legal height because he is in the Army. He has an extra check, the rest of us do not have to worry about.

Originally Posted by sBender
tlb, it's interesting that you've observed that. I've observed the opposite but it sounds like you make it around to more places than I do. Honestly, I've never had an issue getting on base on a scoot. I did get turned around once for not displaying an inspection sticker. I'd taken the plate off when I was doing the brakes and forgot to but it back on. I also did have a nice young corpsman give me a what for because he thought my bars were too high. I just listened and nodded myhead and he waved me through.

Last edited by tlb; 02-10-2011 at 12:39 PM.
Old 02-10-2011, 01:20 PM
Lucky22
Tourer

Carlini 1,5" for sure. I'm 5,7 and run 14" the top of my hands are slightly above the shoulder.

Old 02-10-2011, 01:38 PM
SMF
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tlb
I am not debating with you, but the last riders course I had to attend, the instructor would not let you start the class if your bike did not meet the legal requirements. We had a guy who did not want to put the correct air pressure in his front tire. They kicked him out, notified his CoC, before we ever even started the bikes.
Personally, I would not want to waste the money it cost to change the bars and cables.
LOL HAHAHAHAHA IT HELPS IF YOUR SMOKING THE GUYS ON THE SPORT BIKES ON THE TIGHT TURNS ON A BIKE WITH 16" APES AND 39" PIPES ONLY GRUFF I GOT WAS THEY SAID MY HELMET DIDNT LOOK DOT APPROVED BUT THE STICKER SAYS IT IS. PLUS MY CO LOVED THE SLED BECAUSE I LET HER SIT ON IT

Old 02-10-2011, 01:42 PM
BPlo
Novice

Im at Offutt AFB in Omaha, about to put 14" on my lo. My best friend is rocking 16" with his arms way above his shoulders with no problems. Ive got numerous friends that are cops, and the only things the gate guard wants to see is your MSF card/Base motorcycle card and appropriate attire.

Im 6'4, and for me the 14" with a 1"inch riser was what was comfortable to me.

Old 02-10-2011, 01:44 PM
Lucky22
Tourer

Originally Posted by BOBBEREVO88
PLUS MY CO LOVED THE SLED BECAUSE I LET HER SIT ON IT
She sat on the bike or .....? LOL

Old 02-10-2011, 01:52 PM
SMF
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What happens on deployment stays on deployment