Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Inner Cam Bearing Failure! Engine toast! Important Question - Help

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2011, 02:10 AM
radcastle
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Inner Cam Bearing Failure! Engine toast! Important Question - Help

An inner cam bearing (top cam) failed on my '04 Fatboy. Gail's HD in Kansas bult it to a SE 103 at 1400 miles. 264 cams, CNC heads, pistons, SE fly wheel, tappits, but NO CAM BEARING UPGRADE (probably not available) and NO ROLLER ROCKERS. No one bothered to tell me to check the condition of my cam bearings due to the poor design of Harley's cam chain tensioner system etc. So after 10,000, or who knows, miles of my upper cam spinning in the bearing seat of the case with a disintegrated bearing, my entire engine is toast. The seat in the case is warbled out so bad the cases have to be replaced. The pistons are galled to the max, the oil pump is crap, the cams are shot, the cylinders are scared, the tappits are gone etc. etc. etc.

So here's my question:

With all that metal in my oil, and the fact that the same metal laden oil lubricates the bearings of my $1,300 flywheel, would you chance putting the same flywheel back in the new rebuild?

Regards,

Brent

Old 02-10-2011, 07:34 AM
RHillbilly
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

you need to talk to Larson he is in Belton you have to take the motor out and take it to him but he can tell you if he can fix it sorry I dont have his #

Old 02-10-2011, 07:58 AM
Gibbs Custom Leather
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im no expert here, but I would bet you would be fine rebuilding the flywheel. You may be able so save a little this way.

Last edited by Gibbs Custom Leather; 02-10-2011 at 08:02 AM.
Old 02-10-2011, 08:04 AM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

The upgraded cam bearings (torrington b-148's are available numerous places. That is a shame that happened. Keep us posted. I would never do a set of cams without upgrading to the torringtons.

Drew

Old 02-10-2011, 11:27 AM
Northside
Road Warrior
Received 142 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by Gibbs Custom Leather
Im no expert here, but I would bet you would be fine rebuilding the flywheel. You may be able so save a little this way.
The flywheel assembly in Twin Cams are essentially "throwaways." The crankpin is a press fit between the flywheels. It doesnt unbolt like previous Harleys. They can be pressed apart, but it would require a BIG press. It would probably cost more to try to press the flywhells apart, replace the race and hone it to fit the rollers rollers, press it back together, then retrue it, than to spring for the new flywheel assembly.

Increased valve spring pressures make it mandatory to up grade cam bearings in a Twin Cam. The builder should have know that!

Old 02-10-2011, 12:06 PM
djl
HDF Community Team
Veteran: Army
Received 2,232 Likes on 1,614 Posts

Send the crank to Hoban brothers for inspection and recommendation. They can service the crank, true/balance/plug. Call them and talk to John Dahmer and check out the website for prices. I would not run that crank in a new build without someone like Hoban's guys taking a look.

Old 02-10-2011, 08:23 PM
Blk and Chrome
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Did you price a new motor. I would think you could get a new motor for what it will cost you to repair that one. Just a thought. Maybe a JIMS 131 or something like that

Old 02-10-2011, 09:54 PM
Ockam
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The bright side is that you have a perfect opportunity to get an engine upgrade. I like the look of the Crazy Horse motors, but they are still limited to 100 cc builds ( and I am not sure of fitment).

S&S makes a good engine, and only reason to not get one is because they are so popular in after market builds that its expected.

Just my two cents though, I don't know enough about em to really make an informed opinion.

Old 02-10-2011, 10:48 PM
arealinvestor
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Like previously stated i would send the crank to John at Hoban's & let him inspect it.Let him tell you if its worth rebuilding & truing.You could also get Harley's new 120ci motor for about $5,000.That might be worth it!!!

Old 02-11-2011, 08:45 AM
cwsharp
Stellar HDF Member
Received 152 Likes on 112 Posts

Redcastle - check your PM's.

Quick Reply: Inner Cam Bearing Failure! Engine toast! Important Question - Help