Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

which apes on my night train

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2011, 07:37 PM
07ntrain
Tourer
Received 45 Likes on 23 Posts
Default which apes on my night train

I always liked drag bars but i have a bad back and am looking at apes, im 6'4" and 260lbs and fairly wide shoulders, i dont want them really high, maybe right at shoulder height, i really like the carlini evil apes and the RSD vintage apes but they are pricy, especially with all new cables, any ideas on what size, ive never rode or sat on any with 16" but they look really tall in the pics ive seen, any ideas?

Old 02-09-2011, 07:46 PM
CountryD
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Sup 07train, Im 6'6'' and 260, I have Carlini Gansters 18inchers on mine. Yes, they are pricey, but the quality is second to none. Period. The evil apes would look sick on your scoot, Id say go with either 14s or 16s. The 16s would be at shoulder height, and 14s would give you alittle bend in the elbow. Since your 6'4'', Id go with the 16s, you wont be disappointed. Carlinis are some of the best bars you can buy. Alot of guys on here run em.

Old 02-09-2011, 07:50 PM
shooker
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CountryDeluxe
Sup 07train, Im 6'6'' and 260, I have Carlini Gansters 18inchers on mine. Yes, they are pricey, but the quality is second to none. Period. The evil apes would look sick on your scoot, Id say go with either 14s or 16s. The 16s would be at shoulder height, and 14s would give you alittle bend in the elbow. Since your 6'4'', Id go with the 16s, you wont be disappointed. Carlinis are some of the best bars you can buy. Alot of guys on here run em.
I agree with all of that.

Old 02-09-2011, 07:51 PM
Wizid
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Classic Apehangers are 12-16". Less than that they are comfort touring bars. Taller than that they make a radical style statement.

Old 02-09-2011, 07:51 PM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

there is a set of RSD's in the classifieds, I think the sporty section with all cables and everything.
Here they are.
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sport...sd-risers.html
I can get you any brand of apes and cables and stuff except the Carlini bars.

Drew

Old 02-09-2011, 08:39 PM
rowdy82
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm 6'1" and my 16's hit me about shoulder height. I wouldn't go any shorter than 16's. They look taller in the pics but in person fit the bike just about right i think. Good luck

Old 02-09-2011, 08:44 PM
07ntrain
Tourer

Do. The carlinis come with all the risers and ready to install besides cables, and I heard that with taller apes on the highhway at higher speeds thhe bike gets pretty unstable with the wind, any truth to this because I like to ride fast,

Old 02-09-2011, 08:54 PM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by 07ntrain
Do. The carlinis come with all the risers and ready to install besides cables, and I heard that with taller apes on the highhway at higher speeds thhe bike gets pretty unstable with the wind, any truth to this because I like to ride fast,
If you bike is unstable on the highway you better check it out. My bike with 16" Carlini's is stable to as fast as I have taken it. Instability can be caused by low tire pressure, loose spokes, loose steering head bearing and any other number of issues but I don't see how a set of ape hangers would make it unstable.

Height on apes is really a personal thing. I run Carlini 16"'s (more like regular (18"'s) at 5'9" without issue. People who have not run apes say all kinds of crazy stuff about how you can't ride as fast blah blah blah. Having apes is like having power steering. A very minimal amount of input is needed to turn the bike.

I can get you all the cables you need as well. I can't remember if I already said that. Also plan on getting some poly riser bushings and wiring extensions, you will need them. Or you can solder in extra wire length to you wiring, staggering it so you don't get a huge clump that will not pull through the bars. If you have questions or need help please ask.

Drew

Old 02-09-2011, 09:21 PM
07ntrain
Tourer

Originally Posted by DR. V-TWIN
If you bike is unstable on the highway you better check it out. My bike with 16" Carlini's is stable to as fast as I have taken it. Instability can be caused by low tire pressure, loose spokes, loose steering head bearing and any other number of issues but I don't see how a set of ape hangers would make it unstable.

Height on apes is really a personal thing. I run Carlini 16"'s (more like regular (18"'s) at 5'9" without issue. People who have not run apes say all kinds of crazy stuff about how you can't ride as fast blah blah blah. Having apes is like having power steering. A very minimal amount of input is needed to turn the bike.

I can get you all the cables you need as well. I can't remember if I already said that. Also plan on getting some poly riser bushings and wiring extensions, you will need them. Or you can solder in extra wire length to you wiring, staggering it so you don't get a huge clump that will not pull through the bars. If you have questions or need help please ask.

Drew
ill be sure to get my cables and bars from you as long as they aren't the carlinis, I just need to decide on what I want, RSD or carlini evil apes, what's the average price for all cables and whatever else needed to get them on? And its not my bike that's unstable I just heard people sAy that at higher speeds there's more drag making the bike wobble, if that makes sense.

Old 02-09-2011, 09:48 PM
Ash16
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know if it is unstable but it is definitely a different ride. I don't think that mine handles as well as it did with drag bars. As far as high speeds go, I agree with Drew that it takes less effort to turn the bike. If I'm travelling at high speed and hit a bump while putting a death grip on, then I affect the way the bike handles. So I don't think that it's as much the bike as it is the rider. It just takes some getting used to.

Quick Reply: which apes on my night train