Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A few questions for you rocker guys?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2011, 09:30 AM
super_fake_17
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A few questions for you rocker guys?

I am a new member to the forums and purchased my 1st hd last year. I wanted to start doing some customizing to my 08 rocker. I was wondering what the best way to go about the relocation of the licence plate? Would it be easier to purchase a new rear fender to get the smooth look or can you use the stock one and just modify it? I've seen several different pics and styles and was just looking for some input. I was also looking for a front fender that wraps around the back of the tire mainly for looks but also to prevent road grime from flinging up on the voltage regulator and oil filter. Any input would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Old 02-09-2011, 10:18 AM
Bodis22
Cruiser

Originally Posted by super_fake_17
I am a new member to the forums and purchased my 1st hd last year. I wanted to start doing some customizing to my 08 rocker. I was wondering what the best way to go about the relocation of the licence plate? Would it be easier to purchase a new rear fender to get the smooth look or can you use the stock one and just modify it? I've seen several different pics and styles and was just looking for some input. I was also looking for a front fender that wraps around the back of the tire mainly for looks but also to prevent road grime from flinging up on the voltage regulator and oil filter. Any input would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
My input = Heartland. Make sure you hit up a vendor on here though and you will get much better pricing. I know Biker's Image out of TX saves a bundle on the kit.

Old 02-09-2011, 12:18 PM
super_fake_17
Stage III

I forgot to mention that the bike already has a danny grey weekday solo seat. I didnt realize the kit came with a seat. Is there just a rear fender out there that will work without buying the whole kit?

Old 02-09-2011, 12:41 PM
RocketRocker
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You can get a rear fender fabricated to your specs way cheaper than the thousands that heartland wants. I say do your own thing get unique and get it made to how YOU want it. Just my opinion...and your $

Old 02-09-2011, 02:02 PM
Irishwoodchuck
Advanced

RocketRocker has a good point about making it your own. I have not copped mine yet for that reason. Going to someday but when I do it will be a one off. At least that's the plan...I have lots O' plans for the rocker just not enough $'s.

Old 02-09-2011, 03:18 PM
phantom rider
Tourer

As far as the front fender... I made my own and had it painted at the same time as the heartland rear fender. Here is the pic...

Old 02-10-2011, 12:22 AM
Hawaii-Five-Jo
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Super Fake, I made my own plate bracket out of a piece of scrap iron and the stock plate mount, then mounted it where the left passenger peg goes.

Originally Posted by Irishwoodchuck
I have lots O' plans for the rocker just not enough $'s.
I hear you bro...all the ideas and no MOO-LAH!

Old 02-10-2011, 12:57 PM
lazyboy09
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's definitely going to stand out if you modify the stock one. I bought a take-off on ebay for $150 and modified it myself. I realize not everyone can do that but it saves a ton of money and the look is all yours. The front Heartland is a great piece. Russ Wernimont also makes one and I've read he makes Heartland's stuff but I'm not certain on that. A fairly easy way to go with the rear would be to get a side mount license bracket and weld up the holes on the fender. Blending the paint in shouldn't cost an arm and a leg either as the factory color codes are available through ppg.

Old 02-10-2011, 01:12 PM
Bodis22
Cruiser

Doing your own fender would not be too bad, but doing your own struts, rock guard, etc. will be, not to mention if you plan on doing 2-up riding a ridgid mounted fender gives more options. I give props to guys that do their own stuff, hell I did my heartland conversion myself, pulled all the tins and pump from the tank and painted myself. It is all in what you feel is worth the $ and what is not. I could not see paying over a grand for a paint job, yet the heartland cost seemed money well spent for me. I also made money on my stock fender so it came out okay. Good luck.

Old 02-10-2011, 07:17 PM
RocketRocker
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Phantom Rider - That front fender is the sweetest I have seen so far.....now that I have said that...give me details where you bought the blank. Did you make your own mount from the stock fender or fab new ones?

Side license plate holder: Go to "custom chrome" and search for a flat chrome turn signal bracket....order Radiantz license plate holder w/LED....order axle nut kit from Top Down Products.....I think I posted this on the DIY thread or you can spend a few hundo and buy the trendy one...

Bodis22- not bashing heartland and makes sense about the rigid ride / struts ..makes her a sprung ride .....trust me Im just waiting for my girl to go riding off with some other dude, she keeps getting shorter every riding season.

Quick Reply: A few questions for you rocker guys?