Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LED opinions for my scoot??

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 11:49 PM
harleyheaven
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default LED opinions for my scoot??

Since I put the custom led brake light on my bike I lost quite a bit of light on the rear of my bike. It is very bright but small and in the intrest of safety I would like more light on the rear of my bike.
I'm looking at Custom Dynamics LED Turn Signal Kit. It will have amber signals in the front but the rear is where I've got two options. I'm getting the kit that will allow the rear lights to function as running, turn, and brake lights. The two options are 24 red dual density bulbs as running, brake lights and 24 amber outer led's that will function as turn signals. The second option is all 50 led's are red and serve as running, brake, and turn signals. The guy at Custom Dynamics suggested the all red option.

I'm also considering led's for my head lamp and passing lamps. I don't really like the look of the led head lamp. Custom Dynamics suggested going with the HID conversion in the head lamp and led's in the passing lamps. I was concerned about the color difference. They say the colors will match and actually have a picture on their website with this combo.

1st link is the one with the turning signals. The kit and triple play bulb is a little over half way down.
http://www.customdynamics.com/harley...gnal_retro.htm

2nd link is a picture of the HID headlamp and led passing lamps.
http://www.customdynamics.com/led_passing_lamps.htm

What do you guys think??

Ride On!

Old 02-08-2011, 11:57 PM
Kowan
Ultimate HDF Member

I agree with the all red suggestion.
As to the LED Headlight/passing lamps, I'll leave that to those who might be running the same you're looking at going with.

Old 02-09-2011, 12:27 AM
harleyheaven
Road Master

There is one other option as well. Hemrick Performance has an HID kit that includes the headlamp bulb and passing bulbs. Apparently he has them made special to be short enought to work in the passing lamps. I think this is the reason other don't have passing lamps. The bulbs are too long. This retains a "factory look" and it's a little cheaper.

This may be the way to go. I'll call them tomorrow and get the lowdown.

Ride On!

Old 02-09-2011, 08:56 AM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

I like all red for the rear. A buddy of mine had an HID (Bosch) in his headlight and it gave him a lot of trouble. He eventually took it out and went back to a regular bulb. It could have been his install, but just a word of warning. I was going to do HID until I saw all the issues he was having. I put 55W h3's in my passing lamps and wired them up so they stay on with the bright and that is plenty of light for me. You can see me coming from a block or two away now.

Drew

Old 02-09-2011, 09:20 AM
KumaRide
Elite HDF Member
Received 186 Likes on 147 Posts

I have the CDynamics red led clusters in the rear with r/t/b module and smoked lens. They are extremely bright, Im talkin almost blinding. If you got that direction, you will not be disappointed.

Also, consider the Badlander r/t/b module. It has more contrast between run and brake light. I have a standard r/t/b module and with those led's their is plenty of contrast - its obvious when the brake lights go on - but more is always better.