Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heat Wrap! Good idea?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 04:05 PM
DocJ
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I guess the problem is that I don't want to repaint the wraps or anything. If they fade, let them. The only maintenance I would care to do is to re-wrap should it ever need it. From what I've been told, one wrap will last a couple years. Is this true?

I guess since I'm lazy and all (sigh), and not wanting to maintain the crisp black colouration...is black a good option for me?

Klf33, the fading doesn't look bad...but it does seem a bit awkward...character.

Razorback, how long have you had your wrap on?

Also, seems some people call the back and front, front and back on pipes different things. I apologize for my ignorance, but put in simplest terms, the way wrapping has been best described to me is to go from the muffler end of the pipe towards the end that connects to the engine. I know, I know...! Please don't flame me!

Old 02-07-2011, 04:27 PM
razorback84
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've had my wrapped for 5 or 6 months and it really hasn't changed much. When I get home I'll post a picture from when I first did them and I'll take a new one from today so you can see the differance in the color. I've only put about 3000 miles on the bike since I wrapped them. What I did was I soaked the wrap for a 5-10 mins then I wrapped the pipes, let them dry for a couple of hours and then sprayed them with the silicone spray. Pretty simple. Hardest part for me was the letting them dry part.

You are correct from the back (muffler end) to the front (engine end) is the way to wrap so they don't become to frayed from the wind. Also be prepared to be itchy for at least a day afterwards.

Originally Posted by DocJ
I guess the problem is that I don't want to repaint the wraps or anything. If they fade, let them. The only maintenance I would care to do is to re-wrap should it ever need it. From what I've been told, one wrap will last a couple years. Is this true?

I guess since I'm lazy and all (sigh), and not wanting to maintain the crisp black colouration...is black a good option for me?

Klf33, the fading doesn't look bad...but it does seem a bit awkward...character.

Razorback, how long have you had your wrap on?

Also, seems some people call the back and front, front and back on pipes different things. I apologize for my ignorance, but put in simplest terms, the way wrapping has been best described to me is to go from the muffler end of the pipe towards the end that connects to the engine. I know, I know...! Please don't flame me!

Old 02-07-2011, 04:50 PM
wiseguy2day
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought the heat shields red wrap and it faded to pink just from me spraying it to get it wrapped on the exhaust. Then I bought the silver wrap cause it would match my motor. It looked SWEET when it was first on. One ride and it faded to a burnt brownish color. I still have the silver on, not sure what I'm going to do before summer gets here.

Old 02-07-2011, 06:13 PM
Dark Horse
Cruiser

Originally Posted by razorback84
I wrapped mine black a couple of months ago and used the silicone spary as well. They have faded a little bit, but I think it adds character.
+1

I'll 2nd (or 3rd) that.

Old 02-07-2011, 11:28 PM
DocJ
Road Master

Razorback, I look forward to seeing the compare/contrast pics! That would be great!

I maintain a rather large (compared to the average household) collection of tarantulas. I'm no stranger to itchy jobs. Lol. For those who may be unaware, many new world species of tarantula have urticating hairs that they use as a defense mechanism. When these hairs get in your skin, it causes an immune response that causes itchiness. Depending on the species, the reaction to the hair can be mild to severe.

Thanks again for the input thus far! Can anyone recommend a good place for instructions? I do have my manual for the pipes, but I don't think it covers wrapping...

Old 02-08-2011, 12:37 AM
razorback84
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here is the day that I put the wrap on

And from this past weekend

Old 02-08-2011, 07:59 AM
wiseguy2day
Road Master

I was daydreaming about riding last night and thought "I wonder if they sell silver high heat spray?" Sure enough, they do. I'm going to spray my wrap when it gets warmer and see where that gets me.

Old 02-08-2011, 09:14 AM
DocJ
Road Master

Razorback, thanks for sharing the pics! The fading appears to be very minimal.

Wiseguy: lol, that's interesting. You'll have to post pictures after you spray your pipes. Personally, the burnt brown look sounds like it would be pretty cool.

Old 02-08-2011, 09:32 PM
wiseguy2day
Road Master

Here's a couple pictures freshly wrapped. I went out a couple days later and rode about 65 miles round trip. Silver wrap.

Attached Thumbnails Heat Wrap!  Good idea?-p1080928.jpg   Heat Wrap!  Good idea?-p1080927.jpg  
Old 02-08-2011, 10:32 PM
DocJ
Road Master

The wrap looks GOOD! Hmmm...I know my bike is basically blacked out, but I could see going a different route than black wrap on it. Decisions, decisions...

I'm definitely enjoying the wrap pictures! Can't wait to get started on this.

Quick Reply: Heat Wrap! Good idea?