Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is the soft tail dead in the eye of Harleys design crew?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2011, 10:05 PM
Iron lHorse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,692 Likes on 1,271 Posts

[quote=George C;7876864]I think the Bones and the Rocker represent the WORST designs in HD history.
Not that the ideas weren't good, but HD blew the design just to be able to build the bike with current parts and inventory without investing in new parts.
To me, these were designs Harley did on the cheap...

Rocker.
The Deuce tank doesn't flow at all, and really looks like it was plopped on top and left for dead. It seems as if a designer said "Hey, what do we do with this tank now that we've killed the Deuce"? It ruins the bike.
The rear fender/seat design killed the bike. Heartland redesigned it and properly fixed the flow for them.
Good idea, bad choice of parts and rear design. Spend a few bucks MoCo and design "new" parts that flow.

Bones.
Great idea, but again, MoCo cheaped out by just grabbing the same bobbed fender that they have used for years on the FX. The seat, while looks old school, again looks like it was just squeezed out of a plastic machine and dropped on the frame.
17" on the rear and 16" on the front? Nice job robbing current tires and that don't flow.
No wonder these bikes weren't accepted by the buying public.

If Harley wants to truly come up with a winner, they need to dedicate the design and parts to each individual model without worrying as much about available inventory.

JMO. I think that Harley should stick it out with these two bikes. And perfect them. Your right the rocker should come stock with the heartland set up. And the bones I like as is maybe just put the 103cu on it. But even if it took 3 or 5 years to get right and develop it into a keeper like the low rider was eventually the knuckleheads would still discontinue it.

Old 02-05-2011, 10:18 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

Its not the Softail line,,, it just the Chitty looking ones thats not selling...

Like the Rockers and X-bones..

Last edited by oct1949; 02-05-2011 at 10:26 PM.
Old 02-05-2011, 10:35 PM
av8or
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Old 02-06-2011, 12:38 AM
Kowan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dansax
Look at the FatBoy Lo. I bought one a year ago in black denim. I doubt Harley is forsaking the softails after introducing such a popular model. As far as I'm concerned the Rocker was butt ugly and almost looked like the Honda Fury. To each his own. Long live the Softail.
I love people that compare the Rocker to a bike that was released after it and imply the HD model was copying something that wasn't out yet.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I never cared for the Fatboy myself.
I'd say were even on choosing a bike that we liked wouldn't you say?

Old 02-06-2011, 12:46 AM
lazyboy09
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by George C
I think the Bones and the Rocker represent the WORST designs in HD history.
Not that the ideas weren't good, but HD blew the design just to be able to build the bike with current parts and inventory without investing in new parts.
To me, these were designs Harley did on the cheap...

Rocker.
The Deuce tank doesn't flow at all, and really looks like it was plopped on top and left for dead. It seems as if a designer said "Hey, what do we do with this tank now that we've killed the Deuce"? It ruins the bike.
The rear fender/seat design killed the bike. Heartland redesigned it and properly fixed the flow for them.
Good idea, bad choice of parts and rear design. Spend a few bucks MoCo and design "new" parts that flow.

Bones.
Great idea, but again, MoCo cheaped out by just grabbing the same bobbed fender that they have used for years on the FX. The seat, while looks old school, again looks like it was just squeezed out of a plastic machine and dropped on the frame.
17" on the rear and 16" on the front? Nice job robbing current tires and that don't flow.
No wonder these bikes weren't accepted by the buying public

If Harley wants to truly come up with a winner, they need to dedicate the design and parts to each individual model without worrying as much about available inventory.
JMO.
I see posts that the Rocker tank doesn't flow with the bike, but I couldn't disagree more. It creates a flowing line which to me looks perfect, unlike a peanut tank or some bulging fat a$$ tank. The only way it would look better would be with a curve on the bottom.The way it meets the seat really isn't bad, I don't get what others are seeing

Old 02-06-2011, 12:51 AM
Kowan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think its more that most of us grew up seeing either fatbob tanks or the peanut tanks on HDs.

Old 02-06-2011, 12:57 AM
DyNaBoB
Elite HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

opinions are like a-holes everyone has one.....to me the fatboy looks like hd messed up by putting a 200 on the rear BUT THATS JMO

Old 02-06-2011, 04:59 AM
1HOTTrain
Cruiser
Received 124 Likes on 46 Posts

Kowan and LB09, those are both nice lookin Rockers. To me, the tanks on the Rocks flow perfectly. I always liked the bikes myself. Almost went that direction insted of the Train. But thats just another A-Holes opinion.

Old 02-06-2011, 06:04 AM
Blk and Chrome
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I like the Bones, going down the road it looks real Bad ***, as for the Rocker I like the design except for the seat, It just looked out of place. The Blackline is a mass of parts they have and also cheaper to build smaller rear tire and the such. The big push for them is on the big cruisers, they are the ones selling now it's all about trends and the softails are at the bottom, the sportys sell as they cost less as with the dynas. Softails are the middle of the road and they are the ones to take the hit above the rest

Old 02-06-2011, 07:01 AM
spoonie
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default softail dead?

The Bonz is built to customize. The stock seat sucks as does the rear fender. Otherwise, it is a fantastic ride. I bought mine as seen in my sig and am in the process of "fixing" it. Windshield, 1925 original solo seat. Jockey shift/foot clutch ect... Will post new pics when I finish

Quick Reply: Is the soft tail dead in the eye of Harleys design crew?