Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Some Tire Advice

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2011, 08:58 AM
shineybike
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need Some Tire Advice

I need a new rear tire for my '04 heritage. The bike has about 11,000 miles on the original tires. Front has plenty of tread left and no weather cracking that I can see. I've read that some people are keeping the front and just replacing the rear with the same brand/model tire. There's a chance I will be taking a cross-country trip this summer, maybe 8-10,000 miles. Am I asking for problems if I keep that original front tire and just replace the rear before the trip?

Old 01-31-2011, 09:16 AM
JIMSFBL
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by shineybike
I need a new rear tire for my '04 heritage. The bike has about 11,000 miles on the original tires. Front has plenty of tread left and no weather cracking that I can see. I've read that some people are keeping the front and just replacing the rear with the same brand/model tire. There's a chance I will be taking a cross-country trip this summer, maybe 8-10,000 miles. Am I asking for problems if I keep that original front tire and just replace the rear before the trip?
All I can tell you is what I would do. Tire is probably fine and I would ride on it for up to 500 mile trips and under (do it all the time).

BUT, If I had ANY doubt of ANY kind in my tire, I would change it without a doubt. Especially on that long of a road trip.

Also did you put those miles on the tire? If not, again I would change it. Some will disagree and say I'm over cautious and they would be right. The LAST thing I want to have any doubt in is whats between me and the pavement at 70mph. JMO, good luck!

Old 01-31-2011, 09:28 AM
jbg
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If the tires in good shape still, I wouldn't worry about changing the front one. You can always pull into a shop in any city and get a new one put on in an hour if you start to worry about it while on your trip. And I also wouldn't worry about keeping them the same brand. I just put a Metzeler on my Deluxe rear and haven't changed the front yet. And to be honest, I really like it. It grips well and doesn't track on the freeway groves.

Old 01-31-2011, 09:37 AM
tunaman
Road Warrior
Received 309 Likes on 203 Posts

7 year old tire with 11k miles on it, getting ready to do another 8-10k miles during hot summer temps... I think I would err on the side of caution and get it replaced before I left. I certainly wouldn't want to have to count on being close to a dealer or indy when I realized I needed to replace it on the road, as that would likely be as the tire failed and I just don't have that good of luck.

I just replaced my front after 11k miles, and while it certainly looked like it could still rack up some miles I didn't figure the couple of hundred dollars was worth the hassle of not doing it.

Also be sure to have your bearings checked... not too many miles, but better to be safe than sorry and have them fail on the road. My buddy had that happen on a trip to Canada and said it was a very hairy experience and a real PITA to get sorted out on the road.

Your call - feeling lucky?

Roger

Old 01-31-2011, 09:39 AM
RACKnRAIL
Road Master

The front tires are usually good for up to four times the milage the rear tire will get. I'm still on my original front tire on my deluxe with almost 30,000 KM and it's still in amazingly good shape.

Personally, I wouldn't worry about the front tire. Don't waste time replacing your rear tire though.

Old 01-31-2011, 09:57 AM
KumaRide
Elite HDF Member
Received 187 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by shineybike
Front tire last about twice as long as the rears. If you read about tire life - not mileage - they have a shelf/use able life of 5-7 years. The rubber hardens and deteriorates - even if you can not see it. You have an 04, tire was probably made in 03. This can be verified by looking at the numbers after the "DOT" in the oval raised area on the tire. Google motorcycle tires. I am not suggesting to replace the tires, just sharing info

Old 01-31-2011, 11:14 AM
tunaman
Road Warrior
Received 309 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by RACKnRAIL
Personally, I wouldn't worry about the front tire. Don't waste time replacing your rear tire though.
Never had a front tire flat at speed then??? Sorry, but I'll worry about the front long before I do about the rear myself.

Old 01-31-2011, 11:15 AM
shineybike
Road Captain

Thanks for the replies. After I posted the question I felt kind of dumb since it's a judgement call on safety etc. Thanks for not roasting me. I'll probably get both replaced especially if the cross country trip happens. The age of the tire (vs the mileage on it) really factors in, that was a good point. To take this alittle further, I know if I get the Dunlops just about any harley dealer would have them in stock if something happened on the trip. probably not so for the metzlers. Metzler was going to be my choice. I'm sure in a pinch I could mix and match tires.

Old 01-31-2011, 11:27 AM
JakesDad1
Road Captain

I've had two flats at speed. Fortunately they were both rear tires. Now I change tires every couple of years just for the hell of it. My life is more important than saving a few bucks.

Old 01-31-2011, 11:33 AM
Dirty Fxstd
Tourer

There is no way i would take an 8,000 to 10,000 mile trip on an old set of tires...... i would def change em bro. tires are cheap

Quick Reply: Need Some Tire Advice