Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbie Questions About a Few Things on my bike

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2011, 06:27 PM
MilwaukeeMike
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie Questions About a Few Things on my bike

So we had some balmy (32 degree) weather here today, so I started monkeying around with my bike.

1.) The dealer adversited the bike as having a "High Flow Air Cleaner" when I bought it last month. It's the one question (among many of them) that I forgot to ask before taking delivery on my 2004 FLSTCI Heritage Classic.

I removed the air filter cover and confirmed the element is K&N. The filter itself measures in at 2 1/4" inches tall. When I view available parts on the K&N website, it appears I might have 'custom assembly' P/N RK-3910, because that has the element measuring in at 2 1/4". This makes me assume it isn't "just" a drop-in K&N filter available on their site, or the other custom assy measuring the element in at 1 5/8" tall. I didn't see any P/Ns on the assembly.

If my assumption is true at this point, that's awesome!!! (It's listed at $194 and adds 12.05HP at 5000RPM.) Whaddya think?

2.) I removed my bags today (gonna be ordering gotsaggybags kit soon) and noticed a plug of some sort just kind of hanging near the rear of the oil reservoir. It does have a cover on it. What is it? Diagnostics connector?

3.) I attempted to remove the seat(s) today to get access to the battery but couldn't push down the left side passenger seat strap bracket and wasn't about to start pounding it down with a hammer. I don't have any 'star' wrenches either. What gives? Should I buy a set and loosen it up a bit so I can push the strap bracket down to get it off?

4.) Finally, my manual indicates there is a transmission fluid dipstick somewhere, but I couldn't locate it. They made it look similar to the oil dipstick.

Thanks a lot for taking the time to help a noob out!

Old 01-29-2011, 06:33 PM
jlasoftail
Road Warrior
Received 96 Likes on 53 Posts

The "star" (torx) wrench is a must. Go buy a set to fit onto your ratchet wrench, and buy a fold up set to fit in your bags. The bike is full of them (or at least my 09 is) and you can't do much on the bike without them. I can't tell you much about the air filter. There are a million different sizes. And with a different tranny I can't really comment on your dipstick, but I doubt it would be like the one on your oil tank.

Old 01-29-2011, 06:37 PM
Mike T
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That covered connector is for diagnostics.

Old 01-29-2011, 06:44 PM
tunaman
Road Warrior
Received 309 Likes on 203 Posts

First and foremost, get yourself a service manual for your year model bike... they are a must have.

Second:

Third - the transmission dipstick should be attached to the bolt-on cover on the right rear side of the motor, if it is like mine. You have to remove it with an allen wrench if that is the case.

Roger

Old 01-29-2011, 07:03 PM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by tunaman
First and foremost, get yourself a service manual for your year model bike... they are a must have.

Second:

Third - the transmission dipstick should be attached to the bolt-on cover on the right rear side of the motor, if it is like mine. You have to remove it with an allen wrench if that is the case.

Roger
Get the Harley service manual. It will answer all these questions. It will be the best $60 you ever spend on the bike. Is the backplate the filter is attached to round like the filter? If so you have some sort of aftermarket air filter setup. Probably a big sucker or screaming eagle deal. The tranny dipstick is in the top of the tranny with a large allen head that unscrews it.

Drew

Old 01-29-2011, 08:44 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 929 Likes on 571 Posts

The plug could also be a battery tender connector. But with no pic or detailed description who knows.

+ + + on the service manual.

Old 01-29-2011, 09:07 PM
2 Dogs
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Like the other said post some pix...agree with Ih4x4 it could be a battery tender...easy way to tell is follow the wiring and it the wires go directly to the battery terminals its a tender.

Old 01-29-2011, 11:13 PM
BassCatcher
Grand HDF Member
Received 74 Likes on 38 Posts

Yeah, you are going to have to post up some pics on just what you are calling the left side seat strap bracket. There may be a difference between an 04 and 2011 Heritage, but my passenger seat has two "U" brackets that just slide into the two screw on nuts. The passenger strap pulls over the front of the seat and also attaches to those brackets.

Old 01-29-2011, 11:14 PM
JIMSFBL
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Repair manual and pictures!

Old 01-30-2011, 12:05 AM
rjg883c
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 548 Likes on 398 Posts

Originally Posted by jlasoftail
The "star" (torx) wrench is a must. Go buy a set to fit onto your ratchet wrench, and buy a fold up set to fit in your bags. The bike is full of them (or at least my 09 is) and you can't do much on the bike without them.
I have a Sportster so it might be different on your scooter, perhaps someone else knows? But there are several places on mine that need a "star" (torx) size 27. And that is not included in any sets I have seen. So you might need to get a T27 in addition to a set of torx bits.

Ron

Quick Reply: Newbie Questions About a Few Things on my bike