Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I put my Heritage Classic up for sale, BUT...

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2011, 02:54 PM
lencap
Cruiser
Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts
Default I put my Heritage Classic up for sale, BUT...

Greetings to all. I don't ride my Heritage as much as I hoped. As I crossed about the age 60 barrier both my wife and I realized that riding was enjoyable, but took a toll. We had various aches and pains, and after several surgeries over last few years I must admit that my time in the saddle isn't as much fun as it once was.

So after 40 years of riding we decided it's time to sell. I put my ad on the web, posted pictures and so far no response. So I took the bike the local dealer today, had it fully checked out and changed the oil/filter. The bike checked out fine, but after only a short ride I began to question my decision to sell.

Yes, it's a lot of money just "sitting there" in the garage not being used. And the cost of insurance just adds to the monthly depreciation. But, there is still something magical about riding in general, and riding a Harley in particular. I got some "thumbs up" from people on the road (not that any of that matters), but I also just enjoyed the sound and feel of the bike. The temperature is only in the low 50s, but the sun is bright and there isn't a cloud in the sky. "Carolina blue" is how we describe the sky on days like this, and on days like this I remember why I started riding in the first place all those years ago.

So the bike is still for sale, but now I'm wondering what will happen when the weather begins to warm up and someone actually wants to buy the bike. On paper it makes all the sense in the world to sell the bike and put the money in the bank. But I never remember thinking about how much sense it made to buy a motorcycle in the first place.

Yep, I'm older, hurt more than I used to, realize that my biking skills aren't what they once were, but I also appreciate more than ever what a gift riding is and how important those few great rides are as food to the soul.

For those of you who haven't ridden in a while - take out your bike tomorrow - don't worry about the temperature, just realize how lucky we all are to be able to enjoy a ride whenever we want.

Old 01-29-2011, 03:07 PM
mnskip
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It would be hard for anyone to tell you what to do, only you can tell if your body can take it or not. They will have to take my cold dead hands off mine. Having said that, my sister had the same problems as you. They sold there bikes and bought a 5th wheel with the money and having the time of there life. If you quit riding, try something else. Don't just sit, or you will get old in a hurry. Good luck.

Old 01-29-2011, 03:09 PM
Nubs13
Banned

Lencap, you almost made me shed a tear on that one. Whats funny is Im turning 33 in march and cant believe
how fast time flys by. I don't even want to think about when its time its time to stick to 4 wheels instead of 2. At least you and your wife had good times. Ever think about a trike?

Old 01-29-2011, 04:05 PM
ramhunter9
Road Warrior

I thought about going out today as it hit 40 , but melting snow and salt kept me in .

Old 01-29-2011, 04:10 PM
Faast Ed
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Might want to look at ways to make the ride less painful.

Softer seats or some suspension mods.

I know that feeling that you speak of, the one that comes after not being in the saddle for a while, on your first ride out. Kind of magical.

Old 01-29-2011, 04:47 PM
harleydavis
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

I'm 60 as well, but can't imagine not having the "wind in my face." I understand about the aches and pains but hope to ride 15-20 years more! Good luck in whatever you decide!

Old 01-29-2011, 04:56 PM
IAMSWUTIAMS
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I turn 60 in a month, glad I don't feel as bad as you guys.

Old 01-29-2011, 05:24 PM
shineybike
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not knowing how much you have invested in your bike or what it's worth, my take would be to keep it and if you only get out for short rides when the weather is warm, so be it. It's tough to put a price on the enjoyment you obviously feel when riding. If it's a matter of safety, where you don't feel confident or comfortable riding due to ailments, then sell it. Buy a classic car or sports car (maybe a convertible-wind in the face and hair) with the money and continue to cruise the backroads like before. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Old 01-29-2011, 05:25 PM
jamesroadking
Road Warrior
Received 152 Likes on 94 Posts

My hip was bother me this morning, could barely throw my left leg over the seat. So I went for a little 200 miles ride today, beautiful sunny day, now kicking back having having a couple of brews as I write this. Feeling fine, No pain.

Last edited by jamesroadking; 01-29-2011 at 05:38 PM.
Old 01-29-2011, 05:36 PM
keno
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You can " hurt " in your favorite lazy chair, or you can " hurt " while riding and enjoying yourself.
I choose to ride...

Quick Reply: I put my Heritage Classic up for sale, BUT...