Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I put my Heritage Classic up for sale, BUT...

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2011, 09:11 PM
LocoPilot750
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I didn't really feel like I desirved a Heritage until I hit 60 this summer.

Old 01-29-2011, 09:26 PM
FrozenInTime
Tourer
Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

Some days I cann't walk across the yard, so da fatty sits. Other days I can ride around the block, some days I can hit 100 miles. I have severe back pain, but no way will I ever give up my bike. The mustang vintage wide with back rest is what enables me to ride, without it, I cann't get out of the drive. Have you tried a good backrest/seat combo? It makes a world of difference. I make a mistake and sold my bike once a few years back because of my pain and the strong meds I'm on, and regretted it. I think you will regret it like I did. Even if your only able to go into the garage and clean her off once in a while, she will make you happy.

Old 01-29-2011, 10:58 PM
BassCatcher
Grand HDF Member
Received 74 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by lencap
Thanks for all the encouraging comments and thoughts.

I have thought about a convertible car, or maybe a classic, but where to put it is the problem. My two car garage is filled as it is. Adding a third car means one of them will be outside, and that is a pain in the butt. Moving cars around, especially since I'll be working for quite a bit longer, isn't my favorite solution. On the other hand, my wife would be far more comfortable in a car, and as we've both aged, truth be told I may be as well.

With a bike, even if it isn't used as much as I like, it fits in the garage along with both cars. The issue with the bike is that my wife isn't comfortable riding for any length of time. Call it corny or whatever you want, but I enjoy riding with her. If she's not there I still enjoy riding, but it isn't quite the same. Don't get me wrong I ride solo quite a bit, but those 2 hour weekend runs together are/were special.

Our son and his family are 90 miles away - an easy, fun run in the "old days", but not within my wife's comfort range these days. It isn't quite the same if I ride solo roundtrip and my wife is following in the car.

That's really the issue - how to adapt to my current needs and how they will change over the next 5-10 years. I wish I had an answer, but I don't. And that's why I posted -- your comments are helping me to frame both my priorities and my "needs" versus "wants" versus "living in the past" versus "thinking myself older than I am". Lots of things going through my mind, hopefully I'll be able to sort them all out.

Thanks, and keep the ideas/comments coming.
Damn. Stop and take a deep breath. You are really over analyzing this.

You either like to ride or you don't. You mention riding the bike while the wife drives the car. Riding alone is really what it is all about. Your time. Your bike. Getting lost in your thoughts. That is not a bad thing.

I'm 63 and got back into riding about two years ago. Hell, we all have the little aches and pains that we never used to have. Take an aspirin, get a different seat, get loose fitting pants, whatever. If you really want to keep riding you will find a way to make it work.

You know what? The fact that you posted here tells me that deep down inside you really do want to keep riding. Otherwise, you would have just sold the bike and been done with it.

Old 01-29-2011, 10:59 PM
softone
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We sold our beautiful Mustang GT convertible last year even tho we owned HD's.
Everybody asks if I miss the GT.
Answer: Hell no! There a million great cars out there but there is only one special bike that I have made mine, loved and owned. I rather ride, ride, ride....till I can't - and I'm not young either.
Lots of times I go solo on 800 mile trips. Keeps my mind clear, alert and knowing I still have an exceptional skill.
Unless you're strapped for cash, keep it.
It sounds like you are trying to justify giving up something you really like.
You and wife will figure it out - even if you go for a few short Sunday rides.

Old 01-29-2011, 11:22 PM
Rubbit
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lencap
Greetings to all. I don't ride my Heritage as much as I hoped. As I crossed about the age 60 barrier both my wife and I realized that riding was enjoyable, but took a toll. We had various aches and pains, and after several surgeries over last few years I must admit that my time in the saddle isn't as much fun as it once was.

So after 40 years of riding we decided it's time to sell. I put my ad on the web, posted pictures and so far no response. So I took the bike the local dealer today, had it fully checked out and changed the oil/filter. The bike checked out fine, but after only a short ride I began to question my decision to sell.

Yes, it's a lot of money just "sitting there" in the garage not being used. And the cost of insurance just adds to the monthly depreciation. But, there is still something magical about riding in general, and riding a Harley in particular. I got some "thumbs up" from people on the road (not that any of that matters), but I also just enjoyed the sound and feel of the bike. The temperature is only in the low 50s, but the sun is bright and there isn't a cloud in the sky. "Carolina blue" is how we describe the sky on days like this, and on days like this I remember why I started riding in the first place all those years ago.

So the bike is still for sale, but now I'm wondering what will happen when the weather begins to warm up and someone actually wants to buy the bike. On paper it makes all the sense in the world to sell the bike and put the money in the bank. But I never remember thinking about how much sense it made to buy a motorcycle in the first place.

Yep, I'm older, hurt more than I used to, realize that my biking skills aren't what they once were, but I also appreciate more than ever what a gift riding is and how important those few great rides are as food to the soul.

For those of you who haven't ridden in a while - take out your bike tomorrow - don't worry about the temperature, just realize how lucky we all are to be able to enjoy a ride whenever we want.
My fellow riding brother, Im 38 and my dad is 58 and my best friend and riding buddy, and what your talking about is the day i think about and i know my dad does even though he wont talk about. That being said, all i can say is do what you think is right for you, but other than that, ride until you cant ride anymore, especially if its what you love. And when you can't, remember the good times and tell your kids, grandkids and inspire them to ride so they can experience the passion for something that cant be explained until they try it for themselves. Hope that makes senses. Best wishes.

Old 01-29-2011, 11:43 PM
j1mmy
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

i couldn't imagine selling my bike..its like getting your ***** cut off,sure they are useless after you have kids,they get in the way,a pain sometimes..but you would still miss them..sometimes all it takes is a ride around the block to brighten your day..besides sitting in the garage staring at nothing but the wall isnt much fun

Old 01-30-2011, 12:46 AM
OldBoldPilot
Club Member

Received 23,961 Likes on 5,286 Posts

I had a little accident a few days ago on my Heritage, and the local Harley dealer came by yesterday to pick up the bike and take it for repairs.

As I watched it leave in the back of the dealer's truck, I thought to myself: What if I'd just sold the bike and it was leaving for good? What if I looked into the garage and not only saw no bike there, but knew there would never be another bike there?

I found those thoughts almost unbearable. No bike?? If nothing else, not having a bike would be an admission that I was growing old. And I'm NOT old, I'm only 67, dammit!!

That said, I recognize that the decision it isn't only about you. It's about your wife, too, and about sharing together the joys life brings. Tough decision, for sure. I hope I never have to make it, but I know the day will come as it does for every one of us. Just not yet, please.

Old 01-30-2011, 01:03 AM
stratplexi
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,073 Likes on 558 Posts

Don't try to justify the bike with a practical argument. For most of us, bikes are not about being practical-they are about the freedom we feel when we are in the wind.

I understand about riding with the wife. My wife rides with me most of the time. It's something we both enjoy and it's great to experience new towns, new adventures, etc. together. If she couldn't ride with me...it wouldn't be the same. I would probably sell my Ultra and keep my softail and I wouldn't ride as much. But I would still ride.

Old 01-30-2011, 03:41 PM
shineybike
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It sounds like the time spent cruising with your wife is very important. How about selling your bike, get the convertible, and if you get the itch to ride you can rent a harley at the local dealer for a day. That way you don't have to register and insure it either. No garage hassles. And you can run the car during more of the year regardless of weather (to a point). I have my bike and a '68 Pontiac convertible and split my riding time between them. The car is alot of fun and my wife is more comfortable. We can bring the dog, pack chairs to take to the beach etc. I'm 50 and plan to ride for a long time more, but I get the dilemma.

Old 01-30-2011, 04:08 PM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 487 Likes on 355 Posts

Originally Posted by shineybike
and if you get the itch to ride you can rent a harley at the local dealer for a day. That way you don't have to register and insure it either. No garage hassles.
Hell yeah. One of the guys who rides with our group doesn't even OWN a bike. Yet he makes more events than half the guys who own two bikes. He spends maybe a grand a year on bike rentals. But he pays zero insurance, zero maintenance, no storage, no dead batterys...nothing. If he wants to make a ride or charity event, he calls Eagle Rider, rents a bike for the day, leave the car overnight and drops the bike back off the next day. If your not all about riding your bike as a daily rider any more, but only on occasional putts with the Miss's, sell yours and rent one for those half dozen times a year the feeling hits you.

Quick Reply: I put my Heritage Classic up for sale, BUT...