Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

laydown license plate bracket ???

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2006, 03:08 PM
rk
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default laydown license plate bracket ???

My wife bought me a laydown license plate bracket for my birthday last friday. Her favorite color is chrome ! It's the HD version. My question is this....Have any of you folks ever lost your license plate due to the fact that the damn thing uses double sided tape to hold it on ? I was thinking of drilling it. Experiences? Opinions ? Your thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks,

Rick

Old 10-04-2006, 03:55 PM
XARAN
Stellar HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts
Default RE: laydown license plate bracket ???

I've got the HD laydown on my bike. Bought it around August 05 and there is no tape. It bolts through the fender with 3 bolts and the plate and frame are held on with the normal 4 bolts. The only think on mine that I did not like was the license plate bolts are not welded to the back plate they are epoxy glued to the plate, I did have one break loose and had to glue it again.

Old 10-04-2006, 04:47 PM
nikonf8
Supporter
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

I would not trust the double sided tape. most plate holders have a frame that the bolts go thru or at least holes on the backer plate for the bolts to go thru. Are you saying there is no holes in the holder for bolts . I have not seen any like that

Old 10-04-2006, 05:15 PM
Jim Dawson
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I bought one of those for my previous bike and did not use the double sided tape. I drilled the plate and used stainless bolts.

Jim

Old 10-04-2006, 05:21 PM
NoVaThunder
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've never seen that either, but if it's the same kinda tape they used to put those reflectors on the forks it is probably not going anywhere if there's enough of it. Those certainly didn't come off without a little work, can't imagine they would ever fall off.

Old 10-04-2006, 05:55 PM
dugan
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Yeah, what a screwy concept that doubled sided tape was. I tried it for about a week then decided I wasn't satisfied with that so drilled four holes thru the plate bracket and put chrome bolts & acorn nuts on it and put a plate frame around it. Looks pretty good IMO, although I would prefer it laydown even more.

Old 10-04-2006, 06:33 PM
trax123
Novice

I have had mine almost a year now and it has not gone anywhere. I think it is on to stay. Just check it periodically, I couldn't imagine all 4 coming loose at the same time to where you would lose the license

[IMG]local://upfiles/14738/BD99D6B339C54083B9E71C73BCCF70C7.jpg[/IMG]

Old 10-04-2006, 06:45 PM
4merRacer
Road Master

I used the tape and actually had to redo it (don't ask). That double sided tape is plenty strong. It's not like the plate will encounter a lot of wind trying to yank it off.

Old 10-04-2006, 07:50 PM
06Fatty
Tourer

I have one on my 06 Fatty with the tape and have not had any problems. The tape is a 3M VHB (Very High Bond) and is very strong. I used to sell it in a past job and if applied per the instructions it will hold forever.

Old 10-04-2006, 09:12 PM
FBoy06
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have the laydown plate on my 06 Fatty. The double sided tape is not going anywhere. It's not like the plate has any weight to it. Just clean the surface well with alcohol.

Quick Reply: laydown license plate bracket ???