Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is it about V&H fishtails?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 11:17 AM
OldBoldPilot
Club Member

Received 24,034 Likes on 5,304 Posts
Default What is it about V&H fishtails?

Whenever I read about fishtails for softails the predominant opinion seems to be in favor of Samsons. I'm considering fishtails for my bike and would like to know what it is, specifically, about V&H fishtails that people dislike.

One of the things I do like about them is the fact that you can order them with quiet baffles, as opposed to the Samsons, which can only be ordered either unbaffled or with a non-removable baffle, either of which is a lot noisier than I think I want.

Old 01-27-2011, 11:21 AM
dyebartdie
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My friend has VH Fishtails. I dont know if he went baffled or not but they are loud with that VH sound.

Old 01-27-2011, 11:47 AM
07Fatty
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am very happy with my vh Iran them stock at first then added the quiet baffles which made them deeper sounding and gave more back pressure

Old 01-27-2011, 12:03 PM
BLKnCHRME09Deluxe
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

The crazy thing is how when i was deciding on which pipes to get 2 yrs. ago.... the favor was in V&H's favor. Everybody was lip smacken against Samsons fit/finish. Now that Samson changed to fully shielded pipes, oh how the tide has turned.

IMO... the V&H are great true duals w/out the fishtail tips. But with them they look hideous. Samson has them hands down beat on longtail tips styling. Also whats in Samson's favor is the choices of several different lengths. Of which V&H has only one size.... Not to mention the bends of Samson's are great! Nice and rounded around the primary. Unlike V&H are squared....

If V&H don't change their fishtail designing... their pipes are always gonna be second to Samson's in that dept.

Old 01-27-2011, 12:04 PM
#1rocketman
Road Captain

I've got Vance & Hines....love em. Like the fact I can change baffles or run em without. I can also change the tips if i want.

Attached Thumbnails What is it about V&H fishtails?-021.jpg   What is it about V&H fishtails?-016.jpg  
Old 01-27-2011, 12:08 PM
#1rocketman
Road Captain

Originally Posted by BLKnCHRME09Deluxe
The crazy thing is how when i was deciding on which pipes to get 2 yrs. ago.... the favor was in V&H's favor. Everybody was lip smacken against Samsons fit/finish. Now that Samson changed to fully shielded pipes, oh how the tide has turned.

IMO... the V&H are great true duals w/out the fishtail tips. But with them they look hideous. Samson has them hands down beat on longtail tips styling. Also whats in Samson's favor is the choices of several different lengths. Of which V&H has only one size.... Not to mention the bends of Samson's are great! Nice and rounded around the primary. Unlike V&H are squared....

If V&H don't change their fishtail designing... their pipes are always gonna be second to Samson's in that dept.
Design???? I can't see a hellava lot of difference in yours from mine(tips)

Old 01-27-2011, 12:10 PM
luvtoride
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I love my Vance and Hines. The quality is top notch.

That being said, samson offers a lot of options V&H doesn't. Mainly for me the length of the mufflers. With the samsons you can get the fishtails in 33, 36, or 39 inches. I like the design of their Tails a little better also.

V&H in February will be coming out with a longer two walled muffler that will attach to the V&H headpipes. It will be released under the Python line and will extend a few inches past the rear fender. I guess I'll wait and see what it looks like.

Old 01-27-2011, 12:14 PM
WarriorHD
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

For me, it's not V&H that's the problem. It's fishtails in general; I just dont care for them. When I look at Samson vs V&H fishtails, I tend to like the more subtle style of the V&H over the Samsons. V&H is a great company with great products. I've had nothing but good experiences with their products and tech support.

Old 01-27-2011, 12:33 PM
Nickrc3
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've got Vance & Hines....love em. Like the fact I can change baffles or run em without. I can also change the tips if i want.
+1 - Yes, and as mentioned, quality/customer support is outstanding.
Also their Quiet Baffles are great! Respectable sound levels at low acceleration to keep the neighborhood happy, yet loud enough when cracking the throttle.

Old 01-27-2011, 01:15 PM
lionsqrne
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoldPilot
Whenever I read about fishtails for softails the predominant opinion seems to be in favor of Samsons. I'm considering fishtails for my bike and would like to know what it is, specifically, about V&H fishtails that people dislike.

One of the things I do like about them is the fact that you can order them with quiet baffles, as opposed to the Samsons, which can only be ordered either unbaffled or with a non-removable baffle, either of which is a lot noisier than I think I want.
You are going to be disappointed with the performance of those pipes which ever one you pick over your fat cat. I think your bike looks good with your fat cat on there. Not as many Heritages or luxes running a fat cat compared to True Duals.

Quick Reply: What is it about V&H fishtails?