Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FBLo voltage regulator...

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2011 | 02:54 PM
Poochie
|
Cruiser
Default FBLo voltage regulator...

I was detailing my bike this past weekend after riding all day Saturday & Sunday, and while cleaning the around the voltage regulator I found a build-up of a grease / oil mix. It looks like there are 2 leads running to the regulator and each lead has a rubber boot at the end. Also, instead of the normal shrink tubing, each lead is encased inside a fiber / canvas?? sleeve. This sleeve, both the leads, and all inside the VR area is saturated with a oily greasy mix. It doesn't drip, there are no spots on the garage floor, and it didn't fling off while riding. Anyone else seen this on their bike, or know where it could be coming from? It hasn't run down from someplace else, it's only around the VR. I'm thinking the dealer might have spilled some oil when they did the last service on it while changing the oil filter.....any thoughts?

Old 01-24-2011 | 03:08 PM
jbg
Road Warrior

My guess is that it's the neck bearing grease and it's coming from under your triple trees and handlebars. They always put too much grease in there and as you ride it comes out and makes that mess for a week or two. Once it's drained to a normal amount, that will stop.

Old 01-24-2011 | 04:47 PM
Fierofly
Tourer

I put a chin spoiler on my new (170mi) FB Lo last week and had to disconnect the regulator to do so. The connections were full of what I think was a dielectric clear grease. Could that be what your seeing? Maybe thy over did it on yours?

Old 01-24-2011 | 04:51 PM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor

Oil from the filter can run down there when changing the oil.

Drew

Old 01-25-2011 | 10:39 AM
Poochie
|
Cruiser

thanks for the suggestions....I took an oil pad and wiped the whole area clean last night,. Gonna' check it again after commuting all week and see what happens.

Old 01-25-2011 | 01:45 PM
DrawDown
Road Master

Originally Posted by jbg
My guess is that it's the neck bearing grease and it's coming from under your triple trees and handlebars. They always put too much grease in there and as you ride it comes out and makes that mess for a week or two. Once it's drained to a normal amount, that will stop.
I think he pegged it. Id be willing to bet thats what its from. Mine on my 08 Fatboy dripped and threw grease like crazy for like a month. The one on my Luxe hasnt done it as bad.

Old 01-25-2011 | 01:51 PM
2006FLST
Road Master

Mine got that way from oil filter changes. The way our regulators are mounted is a horrible design due to where the oil filter is. I now pull my regulator completely when changing the oil. The EVO's were great being on the frame.

Old 01-25-2011 | 01:55 PM
JIMSFBL
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by jbg
I agree with jbg on this one.