Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help on front caliper removal 04 Fatboy

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2011, 04:39 PM
Mogar
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help on front caliper removal 04 Fatboy

Need help on removing caliper from front fork leg. The bolts are torx bolts that have and aluminum color to them. I have tried an 10 mm 6pt torx sockets but it just spun/slipped on the head of the bolt. Do I need a special size/type socket for this? Any help suggestions would be appreciated.

Last edited by Mogar; 01-22-2011 at 05:17 PM. Reason: Found an answer
Old 01-22-2011, 06:13 PM
WFA
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mogar
need help on removing caliper from front fork leg. The bolts are torx bolts that have and aluminum color to them. I have tried an 10 mm 6pt torx sockets but it just spun/slipped on the head of the bolt. Do i need a special size/type socket for this? Any help suggestions would be appreciated.
use a twelve point 10mm socket. Should fit without problem...unless you rounded it off already.

Old 01-22-2011, 06:31 PM
gforrest2
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yup, they're a real PITA. Takes a 12 pt. socket. Just took mine off a couple weeks ago. And I think the post above is correct, 10 mm, and don't ask me why it's metric on our American built bikes.

Old 01-22-2011, 08:03 PM
tunaman
Road Warrior
Received 309 Likes on 203 Posts

A whole lot of metric fasteners on our late-model American (Harley) bikes - PISSES ME OFF to no end!!! Not only do you have to have every type of fastener removal tool (wrenches, sockets, torx, allens, etc...), you also have to have SAE AND metric!

Sorry for the rant - pet peeve of mine! Regardless, you should also be able to use a 10mm box wrench, as they are also 12 point, if you can get it on the head.

Roger

Old 01-23-2011, 07:35 AM
Mogar
2nd Gear
Default Thanks for the help

Went out and bought the right torx socket for the bolt and a second tool box just for all of the tools I need to work on this bike.

Old 01-23-2011, 07:48 AM
cwsharp
Stellar HDF Member
Received 152 Likes on 112 Posts

In the shop manual it tells you that the front ends are japanese made shocks. That's why everything is metric.

The bigger bolts should be no problem. The pins that hold the pads are a different animal, however, and they are often so tight you can't get them free with a female torx socket.

I had to drive on a slightly smaller 12 pt. wrench and then I got a Gardner Wescott brake caliper bolt kit that gets rid of the stupid torx head bolts and replaces them with allen head bolts. No more problems.

I have replaced most of the bolts (screws, really) on my bike over the years with chrome allen heads. I keep some q-tips and testor's black enamel paint handy and fill in the bolt heads with black paint so that they don't rust.

C#

Old 01-23-2011, 07:52 AM
handyhoward
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

[QUOTE=tunaman;7817594]A whole lot of metric fasteners on our late-model American (Harley) bikes - PISSES ME OFF to no end!!!

SHOWA... a Japanese company has been making the suspensions for almost all motorcycle manufacturers for some years now... including HD.

Old 01-23-2011, 09:14 AM
teflon
Road Captain

Sears makes a mew socket set, they fit like 10 different bolt head styles and yes they will get those damn caliper bolts out both big and small. Great investment IMHO.

Old 01-23-2011, 09:42 AM
tunaman
Road Warrior
Received 309 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by handyhoward
SHOWA... a Japanese company has been making the suspensions for almost all motorcycle manufacturers for some years now... including HD.
That's fine, but it isn't just the suspension parts that are metric.

Roger

Old 01-23-2011, 09:49 AM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,817 Likes on 3,171 Posts

Originally Posted by tunaman
That's fine, but it isn't just the suspension parts that are metric.

Roger

SO TRUE! Many parts of our bikes are foreign made. Pistons from Germany, cast wheels from Australia, front forks from Japan, etc. It's a world economy and there's no going back.

Quick Reply: Need help on front caliper removal 04 Fatboy