Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Blazing Bikes Lowering Kit

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2011, 12:04 PM
TedMan
Road Warrior
Received 244 Likes on 158 Posts

I am more than happy with my Burnout Cycles kit, which is high quality, adjustable. Slammed my XBNZ 2".

TedMan

Old 01-27-2011, 07:25 PM
ksdrknite
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ordered this kit the other day and should be installed by this weekend or first of the week. Ill be sure to post pics and a review. Hopefully its as easy as advertised. Ill post back with results.

Old 01-27-2011, 07:31 PM
TheNameIs"B"
Tourer

Originally Posted by ksdrknite
I ordered this kit the other day and should be installed by this weekend or first of the week. Ill be sure to post pics and a review. Hopefully its as easy as advertised. Ill post back with results.
Look forward to hearing about the install. From what I have read not everyone is all that happy with 400 shocks anyway and want air ride. If this is as advertised I will order too. Curious if it rides like a log wagon after the install though. Bad thing is I have to buy a lift too!

Old 01-31-2011, 05:57 AM
haak30
Tourer
Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Ive been watching this thread since it was written. My interest as spiked and I am REALLY currious to know how does it ride?

Old 01-31-2011, 09:18 AM
phknsic
Advanced

wow, not to dog this company but I wouldn't spend that kind of money when you can get lowering bolts for 20 bucks and they work just fine. There is a thread on here that is super detailed on how to install them, I did it according to those instructions and had no issues, no industrial press, no special tools.

just search and you shall find.

Old 01-31-2011, 12:34 PM
WFA
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by phknsic
wow, not to dog this company but i wouldn't spend that kind of money when you can get lowering bolts for 20 bucks and they work just fine. There is a thread on here that is super detailed on how to install them, i did it according to those instructions and had no issues, no industrial press, no special tools.

Just search and you shall find.

**i believe the primary idea for this "new design" is to lower your bike without having to remove the shocks at all. I looked at their web site and watched the video and that is my conclusion. This is the only kit i've seen that works like this. I would say a very simple install. The basic bolts, as cheap as they are, require shock removal and disassembly utilizing a press...or something similar. There is another kit available through jp cycles costing around a hundred bucks that require the shock to be removed but not disassembled. So...take your pick !! **

Old 01-31-2011, 12:40 PM
DrawDown
Road Master

Originally Posted by WFA
**i believe the primary idea for this "new design" is to lower your bike without having to remove the shocks at all. I looked at their web site and watched the video and that is my conclusion. This is the only kit i've seen that works like this. I would say a very simple install. The basic bolts, as cheap as they are, require shock removal and disassembly utilizing a press...or something similar. There is another kit available through jp cycles costing around a hundred bucks that require the shock to be removed but not disassembled. So...take your pick !! **
Yep the kit sold through JP is from Burnout cycles and is a pretty good kit. I ran it on my Fatty, my dad has it on his Heritage and im running it on my Luxe until I get off my *** pocket and spring for the Shotgun Shock. I run mine on the bumpstop. Nothing wrong with it and like said no disassembly of the shock required.

Old 02-06-2011, 10:57 PM
ksdrknite
Advanced

Got the kit early last week and finished installing it this weekend. I ordered the version of the kit where I you have to drill out the stock retainer cup yourself. They also have a kit where they supply the cups with bigger holes already. I didnt have a bit large enough so I had to get a step bit from work. You do have to raise the rear tire as far as you can to get in there to get the c-shaped spacers in and have room to tighten. That was a little tricky. I was using a motorcycle jack to work under. After they were installed it was all downhill. Very easy from there. We got a ton of snow early last week so it'll be awhile before I can ride it to see how hard the ride is. I will have some pics up later. The garage is getting cramped with the bad weather, so Ill have to take it outside for pics this week.

Old 02-19-2011, 09:28 AM
bensonjv
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

From what I can tell, the best feature of this lowering kit is that you don't have to deal with busting the rear shock bolts off. But you sacrifice adjustability.

I put a burnout kit on one bike and lowering bolts on another. I would do either of them again but if I had to choose, it would be the bolt kit. The Burnout kit was $109. The bolt kit was $20 + $20 for shop to install, shocks off the bike. In both cases I took the shocks off the bike. For one install, I was swapping the swingarm so took shocks and swingarm off as a set and then had direct access to rear shock bolts; a lot easier.

I know others have their own shock press or have rigged something to DIY the bolt installs. But even paying a shop to do it like I did brings the total cost to way under a kit cost.

I'd rather have the ability to adjust the height if I wanted, and enjoy the cost savings too, than to pay the extra coin for convenience on install. I have to get under the bike either way. I don't want to understate what a PITA the rear shock bolts are, but is it really worth $60-80 to you to avoid taking off two bolts?

Besides, you could DIY a kit like this for the cost of a few washers from Lowe's. Slip washers onto the front shock bolts where this collar attaches to achieve the desired ride height. The ratio is 1/4" on the bolt to about 1" in height. Yeah, you have to take the shocks off for this, but it's a lowering "kit" for under $5 and its adjustable.

Bottom line, I would pass on this lowering kit and go with bolts or the stupid-inexpensive washer method. It is a great concept but there are just too many less expensive alternatives out there that also give you adjustability.

Old 02-19-2011, 09:31 AM
bensonjv
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Any of these lowering kits will work on any bike in the Softail family.

Originally Posted by fastcash0523
Will it work on the Rockers?

Quick Reply: Blazing Bikes Lowering Kit