Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

seat for Night Train, Corbin vs. Mustang

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2006 | 06:59 PM
scottmartello
|
Intermediate
Default seat for Night Train, Corbin vs. Mustang

Hi All, just picked up my '07 Night Train on Saturday. I confirmed the broadly accepted opinion that the stock seat is horrible. The Corbin Gunfighter seat looks great. And I see a lot of Mustang seats on the forum. My question is this, why is the Corbin so much more expensive than the Mustang. $500 for the Corbin gunfighter and something like $289 for the Mustang equivalent. Anyone experienced both? Is the Corbin worth the difference?

Old 10-02-2006 | 07:43 PM
monkyman
Outstanding HDF Member
Default RE: seat for Night Train, Corbin vs. Mustang

I've never had a corbin, but i've had a few mustang seats and like the ride, look and fit. I guess that is why I keep getting the mustangs.

Old 10-02-2006 | 08:00 PM
back again
Seasoned HDF Member

I 've used both. I started with a Mustang x-wide Regal Duke. Real comfortable 4 me up to 150 miles or so. Too wide in the front of the seat for me. 6-0 215lb. Got a Corbin Gunfighter& Lady and havn't even thought about putting the Mustang back on. The Corbin just fits me better if you know what I mean. Not that the Mustang was bad or anything, I just prefer the hardness of the Corbin seat. It took 1500 miles or so before it took a set to my fat *** then all was good. Some like thier Mustangs and don't prefer the harder Corbin seats. Also like the removable back rest, actually my wife likes it. I can't stand the look of the side rails and sissy bars on a Nighttrain. I travel light and can put a weekends worth of chit in a sleeping bag size pouch I strap on the handle bars. Best thing to do is get out and try to sit on bikes that have the seats you're interested in. If your going to biketoberfest in daytona this month they'll both have shops there. I've got that Mustang for sale if your interested. Perfect condition.

Old 10-02-2006 | 08:22 PM
TJS48
Tourer

I've never sat on a Mustang seat but i have the Corbin Gunfighter on my bike. The seat is more firm than a lot of seats on my buddies bikes , but it supports you perfectly and i can ride for hours and never feel sore. It was on the bike when i bought it and the original owner gave me the factory seat, which i tried and found it to be way to soft. I use the removeable backrest all the time and it is a backsaver. It also lowers you a good inch. I would have thought the price was too high, but after riding with it for three years i could see paying the price for it.

Old 10-02-2006 | 08:23 PM
blueduece
Road Captain

First of all shop around, check out gopartsdirect.com and then go to Dennis Kirk, they will beat anyones price by a dollar. I have the Corbin Hollwood solo on my deuce, thought i made a mistake at first but now that it is broken in i wouldnt trade it for any other seat. I talked to Corbin directly before i bought it, they said to give it 800-1000 miles before it breaks in.

They were right on the money with the amount of time for break-in.

Old 10-02-2006 | 10:19 PM
NoVaThunder
Tourer

I recently got the Mustang Vintage Sport Solo. I had a Corbin on a previous motorcycle and liked it a lot. If you just want a solo that Corbin Hollywood looks great. I wanted a solo seat with detachable passenger. The only one I could find from Corbin, for my bike, was the Classic Solo and I had seen other posts where people complained about the seam that runs straight through the riders a$$. A buddy of mine had recently gotten a Mustang and was real happy with it so I figured I'd give it a try. They offer you 10 days with the seat and if you don't like it they will take it back. Corbin will not do this. So I figured if I didn't like it I wouild send it back and get a Corbin or something else. It takes a little break-in but I've got 500 miles on it now and love it. I think one of the reasons for the price difference is the Mustang is vinyl and the Corbin is at least partially leather.

Old 10-02-2006 | 11:39 PM
Slash
Stellar HDF Member

I must be the only guy in the world who loves the badlander seat that came with my Nightrain.Looks perfect on a Train and feels fine.My only complaint is that the stock seat is vinyl.I might buy the leather version of the badlander as my main seat and see if I can get a permanent low profile backrest built into the original vinyl seat for 2 up riding.

Those guys in the Tour De France ride 120 mile stages on bicycles with tiny hard as h@ll seats weighing about 150 grams and they have no complaints.One thing to be learned from cyclists is that riding position (where your hands are,where your feet are,how your back is positioned etc is extremely important in making any seat provide optimal comfort..

Old 10-03-2006 | 10:21 AM
yamaman
3rd Gear

Can you post a pic of your bike with that seat on it. I also have a 06 FXSTI and would like to get a new seat for me and my wife. Does your passenger like the Mustang seat better than the stock seat ? Did you also get a fender bib with the seat?

Thanks

ORIGINAL: NoVaThunder

I recently got the Mustang Vintage Sport Solo. I had a Corbin on a previous motorcycle and liked it a lot. If you just want a solo that Corbin Hollywood looks great. I wanted a solo seat with detachable passenger. The only one I could find from Corbin, for my bike, was the Classic Solo and I had seen other posts where people complained about the seam that runs straight through the riders a$$. A buddy of mine had recently gotten a Mustang and was real happy with it so I figured I'd give it a try. They offer you 10 days with the seat and if you don't like it they will take it back. Corbin will not do this. So I figured if I didn't like it I wouild send it back and get a Corbin or something else. It takes a little break-in but I've got 500 miles on it now and love it. I think one of the reasons for the price difference is the Mustang is vinyl and the Corbin is at least partially leather.

Old 10-03-2006 | 10:28 AM
captainhawg
Road Warrior

I bought a Corbin Gunfighter and Lady. I like it. As far as leather seat covering, there are places that can cover the seat in leather. It is an option for those who want to go that route.

Old 10-03-2006 | 10:53 AM
nikonf8
Supporter

A word of caution with corbin seats if you buy one never buy it from corbin direct they have a positively no refund policy they claim they will fix it. I had a brand new corbin for my deluxe it was a seat made just for the deluxe which incorporated the hand rail. it was a mess it never fit right and in the end it went back to the third party dealer I bought it from by way of a credit card dispute. Had I bought direct forget it. I then found a used corbin on e bay a classic studded solo which I picked up at half price $250.00 the way it mounts is much better than the one that was made just for the deluxe it was a new model that was not made right. The used seat had about 300 miles on it so it was just like new. It is firm but i like it. i guess its a matter of preference but i always thought corbin had a good name but like most companies do in due time they go down hill in my opinion they are on the way down

Quick Reply: seat for Night Train, Corbin vs. Mustang