Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam change in Fatboy question?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 12:45 PM
cecil1
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cam change in Fatboy question?

I have an 09 Fatboy that I would like to change the cams in. I am looking for more of the change in sound at idle and so forth, rather than a performance upgrade. I have the Stage One and Vance and Hines pipes with the fuel pak as the only other mods made. Are the Screamin Eagle cams going to give me what I am looking for, or should I go another route. Thanks for any feedback.

Old 01-17-2011, 12:47 PM
fcsallan
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you are looking for that old Harley Lope, than you will never get what you want without destroying the performance of the bike, that is unless you ditch the FI and install a carb.

Old 01-17-2011, 12:55 PM
cecil1
Cruiser

Your saying changing cams is not going to give me what I want?

Old 01-17-2011, 12:56 PM
RHillbilly
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I went with a woods 408-44 in my 09 Fatboy sounds and runs good,later put the S&S 106 kit really runs good now with the woods cam

Old 01-17-2011, 01:22 PM
RocketRocker
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The slower lope at idle can only be provided by a carb...EFI has to maintain a certain idle to ensure oil is pumping to the right parts at idle. I would look into the S&S easy starts which is an outstanding cam. .575 lift will give you what your looking for as far as an audible change but then you will need to think whether you want to stay chain driven or gear. You will also need to change the pushrods to adjustable. Ditch the Fuelpak because it does nothing to the AFR as indicated on a dyno.
So its alot of work which you might want to consider what Rhillbilly did and thats the 106" big bore. Good luck with the project.

Old 01-17-2011, 01:55 PM
djl
HDF Community Team
Veteran: Army
Received 2,223 Likes on 1,608 Posts

Originally Posted by cecil1
I have an 09 Fatboy that I would like to change the cams in. I am looking for more of the change in sound at idle and so forth, rather than a performance upgrade. I have the Stage One and Vance and Hines pipes with the fuel pak as the only other mods made. Are the Screamin Eagle cams going to give me what I am looking for, or should I go another route. Thanks for any feedback.
Since you say you are looking for sound not necessarily performance, I won't bother to go into other performance options.

You can get that lope that you want with the SE204 cams; I have run them in several builds. They like more compression than you will have with a cam only upgrade in a 96" but they will definitely wake the motor up and provide that Duntov cam in a small block Chevy lope. Doesn't matter if the bike is EFI or carb; the lope is there in the profile of the cam.

Getting rid of the Fuel Pak and installling better fuel management system like TMax with auto tune or TTS Mastertune or SERT will cost a bit more but a proper tune will really wake things up with the cam upgrade, cool the engine off a bit and probably increase fuel efficiency; worth the $$.

Old 01-18-2011, 07:30 AM
cecil1
Cruiser

Sounds great. Anyone else run the 204's?

Old 01-18-2011, 09:01 AM
XARAN
Stellar HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

Ive been running SE 204 in my bike for a couple of years now.

Very happy with them, strong power from idle to redline. Good real world power band.

If your going to do them up grade to the SE Hyd Tensioners and Oil Pump while your in there.

Old 01-18-2011, 09:12 AM
MCSarge
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 448 Likes on 309 Posts

Have been reading some pretty good reviews of this cam in the 96 motor. On another forum they have a quite a few dyno sheets that are posted showing HP in the mid 90's and torque up to 105 ft lbs with a 2into1 exhaust, good air cleaner and the right tune. They have posted 6 or 8 dyno runs in different parts of the country on several different bikes so I tend to believe the numbers.

This is the cam I will be going with in my Night Train next month. If I can come close to those numbers I will be pretty satisfied for just a cam change. Good luck on your project and post up the Dyno sheet when you get it done please.

Old 01-18-2011, 09:27 AM
bigdady
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have the SE-211 cams in my bike. they have the same lobes as a 30-30 duntov
dyno numbers are 96HP 106 ft tq and great sound

Quick Reply: Cam change in Fatboy question?