Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stumbling, hesitation, but no DIAG codes?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2011, 03:29 PM
chordstrummer
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Stumbling, hesitation, but no DIAG codes?

Need help, guys.

2009 deluxe, stock except freedom duals, stage 1 a/c, and a PC 5 - all installed at 500 miles or so. 18,600 miles now, and have had no issues until today. All of a sudden started stumbling/hesitating when giving it throttle.

After verifying plug wires and battery connections were OK (roadside), got on and it starts and idles no problem, but stumbles badly when I try to give it gas. Limped my home - luckily I was only a few miles away.

Did not get the check engine light, but checked for DIAG codes. Got U1097, and part # 32919-076. Cleared it, and ran again. Codes did not reappear, so I'm thinking they were historic from when I disconnected stuff in the past.

Watching the games now so I'll look into it more later.

Plugs / wires - why would they go bad all of a sudden? Going to pull them and inspect anyway.

PC 5 issue? Going to take it out of the system and ride.

Bad batch of gasoline? I DID just fill it up right before these symptoms appeared.

MAP or Crank position sensor - do these go bad without throwing the error code?

I'd appreciate any ideas, comments.

Old 01-16-2011, 05:09 PM
JayDee5150
Road Master

My bike had nearly the same issue a couple months ago.

The problem with mine was the plug wires...one had come off of the spark plug and was making intermittent spark. At first feel it didn't seem like there was any issue, put after I started twisting and pushing the plug wire, it snapped onto the plug and the problem was gone.

Don't forget to check your wire connections at the coil as well.

Sounds like you already did this...but I think it's worth another check. Pull the plugs from the jubs too...have a look at them to see if one of them hasn't been sparking or is damaged.

It's gotta be an ignition issue...wires or plugs, I'd be very surprised if it was something more serious.

J

Last edited by JayDee5150; 01-16-2011 at 05:12 PM.
Old 01-16-2011, 07:56 PM
Gman in NC
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've heard of these symptoms when a fuel line inside the tank gets a hole rubbed in it. Not an expensive fix. It could be sucking air.

Old 01-16-2011, 11:00 PM
chordstrummer
Tourer

Thanks for the suggestions so far, guys -- I appreciate it.

Hope it's not too complicated.

Welcome all additional suggestions, comments, etc.

Thanks again JayDee and GMan.

Old 01-17-2011, 08:36 AM
cwsharp
Stellar HDF Member
Received 152 Likes on 112 Posts

At 18k miles nothing should be worn out from wear... e.g. fuel line rubbing inside tank. More like something came loose (plug wires), bad gas, or failed part (sensors, PC5). On a HD no code doesn't mean much in my experience.

Pull a plug and see how it looks. Are your pipes sooty? Remember... SFAKISS... Spark, Fuel, Air, Keep It Simple... er... Silly... Don't chase too many ghosts until you have eliminated the things that have a simple and direct effect on these three.

Usually you will get a code if your wires are causing a misfire but I doubt that yours have that issue because your performance is so poor. In my case when I switched to SE wires, they weren't made properly and the ends did not 'snap' onto the coil terminals properly. The code would show up under rapid acceleration only... and even then the spark was jumping the gap just fine. I got a code because the system was sensitive enough to know that I wasn't getting a complete ground when the coil fired.

You could have a vacuum leak.

I don't know enough about the '09 setup to give you sensor advice. A shop manual would be required to chase this kind of stuff down... if you don't have one, get one... (actually, it's three books probably... parts, electrical, and everything else... you will need the electrical to chase sensor gremlins but I would leave them until you have eliminated more basic ones. They don't have moving parts...

C#

Old 01-17-2011, 09:36 AM
Gman in NC
Road Warrior

The hose on my friend's Heritage rubbed a hole at about 18000 miles. It was an '07' though and I think they had known issues with this. The shop pulled the pump assembly through the top of the tank and fixed it. No pump replacement was necessary. It gave him a problem anytime he twisted the throttle for more fuel, sucking air. Just keep that in mind. Hope you find your problem real soon.

Old 01-17-2011, 11:00 AM
chordstrummer
Tourer

Thanks again for the info, guys. Good advice on the simple stuff first, C#.

Going to look into this today.

Old 01-17-2011, 11:12 PM
chordstrummer
Tourer

Turned out to be the Power Commander V.

After checking plugs, wires, and other really simple stuff, I narrowed it down to something causing weak or no spark on the front cylinder only. Figured it would be easy enough to rule the PCV out before moving on to more complicated stuff, so I removed it and reconnected the O2 sensors. Problem solved -- runs perfectly (except popping on decel, running a little lean and all that).

Talked with the guys at Fuel Moto -- top notch people, as you'd expect. It's on the way to them for an evaluation.

Thanks again for the help, everyone.

Old 01-18-2011, 12:13 AM
JayDee5150
Road Master

Excellent...feels good to get it solved don't it!

Good luck with the fix...I'm sure the fellas at Fuel Moto will square it away.

Old 01-18-2011, 06:02 AM
Gman in NC
Road Warrior

It does seem like you found the problem. Glad for you. I'm sure Fuelmoto will get you fixed up.