Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery tender killed my battery?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2011, 11:42 AM
jazzar35
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Battery tender killed my battery?

My bike has been connected to a battery tender during a lengthy cold spell. This past weekend I tried to start the bike but it was completely dead. Could the tender actually kill the battery? Any ideas?

HD tender connected to a 2 year old factory battery.

The following users liked this post:
Sleeko (05-07-2023)
Old 01-12-2011, 11:48 AM
Mike T
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've never heard of a Tender hurting a battery.Hook a meter to it to see if it's still working.

M Oclaf (05-06-2023)
Old 01-12-2011, 11:50 AM
jimsflh
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jazzar35
My bike has been connected to a battery tender during a lengthy cold spell. This past weekend I tried to start the bike but it was completely dead. Could the tender actually kill the battery? Any ideas?

HD tender connected to a 2 year old factory battery.
Was the light GREEN on the tender, or flashing red, if flashing red, check the fusable link in the pigtail (7.5 amp fuse)

M Oclaf (05-06-2023)
Old 01-12-2011, 11:54 AM
RoadGlideGary
Tourer
Cool Battery Tender

That seems odd. I put one on my bike just a month ago when it would not start - the anti theft electronics drained enough of the power it would not even turn over. Took about 24 hours to charge - no problem since then. If it is a "battery Tender Jr." the adapter should let you know what the problem is. If the light is green it should be fully charged. If it is flashing red for a long period of time then your battery has bad cells and won't take a charge. You may just have to take the battery out and have it tested. My last factory HD battery lasted 5 years. When it went it was dead dead dead with no warning and the battery tender would not charge it. Check the connections too - if either is not on tight you may not be getting a proper charge, if any at all. either way it is a simple fix but could set you back some $ for a new battery if that is the case.

Old 01-12-2011, 12:31 PM
Rocker_UAE
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The title of this thread made me laugh

Old 01-12-2011, 12:38 PM
jimsflh
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by meachamgw
That seems odd. I put one on my bike just a month ago when it would not start - the anti theft electronics drained enough of the power it would not even turn over. Took about 24 hours to charge - no problem since then. If it is a "battery Tender Jr." the adapter should let you know what the problem is. If the light is green it should be fully charged. If it is flashing red for a long period of time then your battery has bad cells and won't take a charge. You may just have to take the battery out and have it tested. My last factory HD battery lasted 5 years. When it went it was dead dead dead with no warning and the battery tender would not charge it. Check the connections too - if either is not on tight you may not be getting a proper charge, if any at all. either way it is a simple fix but could set you back some $ for a new battery if that is the case.
Flashing red means NO CONNECTION, solid red means less than 80% charged, flashing green means 80% or better, solid green means full charge. So if it's flashing red, check the fuse on the positive side of the pigtail, or check continuity on the pitail itself with an ohm meter. I've found even when mine is solid green it's not fully charged though.

Old 01-12-2011, 12:41 PM
glideridemike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 261 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Rocker_UAE
The title of this thread made me laugh
Yeh, it was pretty funny....

Old 01-12-2011, 03:28 PM
08rock
Road Master
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

That is not supposed to happen

Old 01-12-2011, 03:59 PM
DeD Fred
Road Master

Not all tenders are equal. Some you have to fully charge your battery, then it will maintain it.
Mine is like that.

Old 01-12-2011, 04:10 PM
glideridemike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 261 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by DeD Fred
Not all tenders are equal. Some you have to fully charge your battery, then it will maintain it.
Mine is like that.
My Schumachers are like that.

Quick Reply: Battery tender killed my battery?