Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery tender killed my battery?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2011, 06:07 PM
glideridemike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 261 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by FastHoss
I had stupidly left my switch in the acc.position when I parked my springer ,came out later to find tender with red light and warm to the touch.I had to take it off and charge battery for a hour on regular charger,then it went to green and maintained it.
Just be careful to slow charge the battery at about 2A or less. Otherwise you risk screwing the battery up.

Old 01-14-2011, 10:55 AM
jazzar35
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nvsteve
Have you checked the ground cable on both ends for being clean and tight?
Nope, but I will tonight. Thanks!

Old 06-06-2018, 06:06 PM
Dean Sockwell
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tender battery

Same thing happened to me twice. I was charging my interstate marine battery over the winter with a battery tender jr and in the spring it was dead dead dead. Even the auto parts store couldn’t charge it so I just bought another one. I’ve been fishing all spring with the new battery until last night so I put it in the charger overnight. Just got in my boat to go fish and the battery is dead dead dead! That’s why I went searching and found your post. I’m glad I’m not the only one. Next call is to Battery Tender. Thx

Old 05-06-2023, 08:34 AM
Ludwig von Buzzthoven
Road Warrior
Received 658 Likes on 292 Posts

I've had battery issues on all of my Harleys (most of them due to the cables becoming loose at the terminals and melting them). BUT, on my '17 Slim, one of the cells in the battery went bad. It showed on my Battery Tender Junior as solid green and I put a volt meter on it and it also didn't show any problems. When I took in my battery to AutoZone to be tested, the guy could see right away there was a problem with it.

I now use a Noco Genius 5 on both my bikes (a Sportser 48 and a Thruxton RS). Harley sells them with their own badging, but it's cheaper if you just buy the Noco branded one. I think these chargers/tenders A LOT.

Here's the Harley branded one with all the specs and info: https://www.harley-davidson.com/us/e...ger/p/66000309

Old 05-06-2023, 08:42 AM
M Oclaf
Grand HDF Member
Received 5,800 Likes on 2,675 Posts
Default Battery is bad

My tender did the same, would stay in the “charge mode”. Thought for a minute it was the tender…nope. Pulled the battree, dead. Batteries plus or whatever said it was good. FWIW I picked up an equivalent battery at AutoZone and doing fine sans a few hundred on a “Harley” listed battery.

Old 05-06-2023, 09:09 AM
AZhogrider
Advanced
Received 116 Likes on 36 Posts

I found that most battery tenders tend to overdue the charge and don't kick back on s the battery drains. SO I put a timer on the circuit, about 4 hours a day is plenty to keep batteries happy plus this gives the tender a chance to run the initial charge level every day.

Old 05-06-2023, 09:20 AM
TSheff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,394 Likes on 1,576 Posts

FWIW. At work we have a shelves with 20 or more NEW batteries connected to a few multi bank Battery Tenders (tm). We were instructed by the vendor that set it up to not put Dead Batteries on the Tenders, too much draw and it would damage the Tender. He stated they are made to maintain and keep charge up, not completely charge.
When we swap and bring suspected batteries from the field, we test fully charge them, if they will charge, with a charger. After charging ang testing, if good, they go an a shelf marked good with the original date and test date, and are connected to the Tender bank.
Also all tenders are not equal.

The following users liked this post:
Cap77 (05-07-2023)
Old 05-06-2023, 09:25 AM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,535 Likes on 6,274 Posts

I have a Batteryminder that I bought about about ten years ago. It’s pretty reliable. I rotate it amongst my batteries and take it off after it reaches full charge.

Now that I have more batteries I bought some cheaper versions of Batteryminder. They’re much lighter. I recently put it on the battery that I have, that usually takes a day at most to charge, and it was still charging after three days. So I put the old one on and it went immediately into float. I measured the voltage and it was at 13.75 so it was definitely being overcharged.

I probably should toss the cheap ones.

HarleyHappy (05-07-2023)
Old 05-06-2023, 08:15 PM
Road_Clam
Road Captain
Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts

I've been buying batteries for the past 38 years, and some batteries last 5+ years, and i've had a few not even last 2 years (even with pulling the batteries and storing them in my basement over the cold winter) . Been using a Battery Tender for the past 20 years and zero issues.

HarleyHappy (05-07-2023)
Old 05-06-2023, 10:38 PM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,535 Likes on 6,274 Posts

Originally Posted by Road_Clam
I've been buying batteries for the past 38 years, and some batteries last 5+ years, and i've had a few not even last 2 years (even with pulling the batteries and storing them in my basement over the cold winter) . Been using a Battery Tender for the past 20 years and zero issues.
The battery that got over charged is one of my boat batteries. Unbelievably it’s from 2005 and works fine. Of course in Wisconsin it spends a lot of time in storage.

Quick Reply: Battery tender killed my battery?