Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery tender killed my battery?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2011, 04:32 PM
nikonf8
Supporter
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Default battery tender

I doubt the tender had any thing to do with it. I just removed my oem battery from my 05 deluxe it was six years old and still kicking. i had it on a tender every winter. its now in a friends bike and still kicking. I believe the tender will extend a battery's life. when a battery goes dead and is charged it takes away some of the life of the battery. its best to keep it up with the tender and it will last longe

Old 01-12-2011, 06:32 PM
nvsteve
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 74 Likes on 51 Posts

You may have just had a bad battery. Buddy had his oem replacement go bad in 1 year.

Old 01-12-2011, 07:37 PM
1hellbent
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bad battery? Or bad battery tender, which caused battery to go bad?

Could be either. I say that at this point because there is way too much information lacking to make the determination, but both are possible.

What brand and size is the battery tender? Is it an actual 'Battery Tender' brand? How old is it? What’s the state of the indicator light(s), if any? What’s the on state charge voltage? What’s the OCV (open circuit voltage)? It would appear that some here might be under the impression that it could not be the charging device, especially if there is a little green LED that says everything is honky dory. Maintaining an AGM battery on a float charge requires a pretty narrow voltage climate once the battery is fully charged. Many of the float type maintenance chargers have microprocessor-controlled circuitry that manipulates charging algorithms depending on the state of the battery. As with any electronic device, especially one that’s microprocessor controlled, failure is a possibility. A slightly high float charge can be even more detrimental to a battery than a slightly low float charge, either scenario is not good for the battery….. so it is possible. Most of these devices are pretty reliable, but remember, nothing is forever!

As for the battery, is it completely dead? What’s the OCV? How old is it? Have you tried charging it with another charger? If the battery is toast at this point, then you really have to do some testing on the battery tender device to make the determination of what failed.

Old 01-12-2011, 10:43 PM
Bluehighways
Stellar HDF Member
Received 222 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by 1hellbent
Bad battery? Or bad battery tender, which caused battery to go bad?

Could be either. I say that at this point because there is way too much information lacking to make the determination, but both are possible.

What brand and size is the battery tender? Is it an actual 'Battery Tender' brand? How old is it? What’s the state of the indicator light(s), if any? What’s the on state charge voltage? What’s the OCV (open circuit voltage)? It would appear that some here might be under the impression that it could not be the charging device, especially if there is a little green LED that says everything is honky dory. Maintaining an AGM battery on a float charge requires a pretty narrow voltage climate once the battery is fully charged. Many of the float type maintenance chargers have microprocessor-controlled circuitry that manipulates charging algorithms depending on the state of the battery. As with any electronic device, especially one that’s microprocessor controlled, failure is a possibility. A slightly high float charge can be even more detrimental to a battery than a slightly low float charge, either scenario is not good for the battery….. so it is possible. Most of these devices are pretty reliable, but remember, nothing is forever!

As for the battery, is it completely dead? What’s the OCV? How old is it? Have you tried charging it with another charger? If the battery is toast at this point, then you really have to do some testing on the battery tender device to make the determination of what failed.
+1, Good advice here . . .

Old 01-13-2011, 11:27 AM
jazzar35
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks all for your feedback.

To answer a few of the questions regarding specifics: 2 year old OEM battery connected to a HD SuperSmart Battery Tender. The indicator light on the charger has been yellowish orange for days, indicating it's still charging. I have not checked the inline fuse yet. At this point the bike still won't start. It may be time to pull the battery and have it checked.

Old 01-13-2011, 01:18 PM
goatdriver
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For what it's worth, I had a BT Plus on a vintage car. Green light on steady. Unplugged the unit to go start the car, and noticed light stayed green!! Car would not even turn over. After checking with a meter, the BT was putting out 14. Battery inside was fried.

They sent a new BT to me after I explained everything, but that did not cover the cost of a new battery. My point in all of this (yes there is a point) is that the charger can malfunction. They probably rarely do, but it can happen.

Get a meter and find out what is going on with both the charger and the battery. Keep us posted.

Old 01-13-2011, 02:40 PM
SoonerSoftail
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jazzar35
Thanks all for your feedback.

To answer a few of the questions regarding specifics: 2 year old OEM battery connected to a HD SuperSmart Battery Tender. The indicator light on the charger has been yellowish orange for days, indicating it's still charging. I have not checked the inline fuse yet. At this point the bike still won't start. It may be time to pull the battery and have it checked.
If the tender has been showing as constantly charging for days then either the battery is not capable of taking a charge or the tender is defective.

The following users liked this post:
M Oclaf (05-06-2023)
Old 01-13-2011, 03:13 PM
FastHoss
Elite HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

I had stupidly left my switch in the acc.position when I parked my springer ,came out later to find tender with red light and warm to the touch.I had to take it off and charge battery for a hour on regular charger,then it went to green and maintained it.

Old 01-13-2011, 03:37 PM
martinbastin
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Title is funny. Great title for a b-rated movie

Old 01-13-2011, 04:08 PM
nvsteve
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 74 Likes on 51 Posts

Have you checked the ground cable on both ends for being clean and tight?

Quick Reply: Battery tender killed my battery?