Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam sugestions please

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2011, 09:38 AM
coronerrpm
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Cam sugestions please

I am thinking of doing a cam swap since winter is never going to end but not really sure about a few things and I do not know of a local indy so I thought I would throw it out here.
My 2010 96" is stock other that a PC-5, V&H big radius and the SE air kit with K&N filter. I had it dyno'd last year and got 70.83max power and 85.44 torque.
There are so many brands out there (Tman-SE-woods) and lift/duration types that I have no idea what to go with. What type of increase in power and torque can I expect from a swap and is it worth it? I wanted to do a displacement increase also but it is not in the cards due to funds at this time so just a cam swap.
Thanks

Old 01-09-2011, 09:42 AM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,571 Likes on 2,889 Posts

+1 for Woods 555 then the .030 head gasket to better utilize the cam then later do a 107 or 103 then later do some mild porting to the heads. At least thats the route I'm going. Good luck!

Old 01-09-2011, 09:50 AM
RHillbilly
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I put the woods 408-44 adv 5deg in mine then later added S&S106 kit I am very satisfied,also like the #s on the 555 you cant go wrong with a woods

Old 01-09-2011, 11:49 AM
TX Lo Life
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can't go wrong with Woods. When I did the big bore and cams I did all the valve-train parts from them as well.. rocker-arm support, valve springs, directional lifters. Couldn't be happier.

Old 01-09-2011, 12:16 PM
KumaRide
Elite HDF Member
Received 187 Likes on 148 Posts

Andrews 48. Will get you ~100+ tq, no headwork or pulling the heads for a .03 gasket. A 2n1 would add more, and you would feel it compared to your 2n2. Search the engine forum. Surprised this thread has not been moved yet.

Old 01-09-2011, 12:44 PM
roadkingharry
Road Captain
Received 50 Likes on 22 Posts

+1 on what KumaRide said. Here's a link to a discussion on that cam, in a cam only upgrade: https://www.hdforums.com/forum/engin...cams-only.html

Old 01-09-2011, 02:09 PM
MCSarge
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 447 Likes on 309 Posts

SE 204, heard good things about them in a 96. HarleyTech forum has a lot of dyno runs with that cam and are getting low 90's in HP and 100 to 105 ftlbs of torque. Not bad for just a cam swap. I may be going that route in my Night Train before spring just to see what I can get.

Old 01-09-2011, 02:35 PM
tunaman
Road Warrior
Received 309 Likes on 203 Posts

Just did the cam swap a few weeks ago... tough decision as there are many choices out there, and several deciding factors to consider before making the choice.

For me, I was deciding between the SE204, SE211, 31h, 37h, and TW6 as my short list. IMO, here are the major deciding factors:

- Cam only, or displacement upgrade?
- Future engine mod plans?
- Performance objective - what do you expect to achieve (hp vs torque)?
- Reliability a major consideration?

If you're only looking to do the cams and lifters at this time, they can be done without removing the tank and rocker boxes. You need to figure whether you plan to do any further work, such as big bore upgrade, head gasket change for compression, or head work (porting/polishing/etc.), as the selection should take that into account. Some cams work great with the stock compression and head configuration, while others really need additional modifications to realize the gains expected.

Also, cams are an exercise in trade-offs... no one cam will give you increases in horsepower and torque across the entire RPM range. You need to decide whether you want to increase the low to mid, or mid to upper RPM ranges, and whether you are really looking for horsepower or torque increases... torque is probably what most are expecting, as that is the readily-perceptible increase felt from the twist of the throttle.

The milder cams should give a notable increase, while still maintaining reliability. More radical configurations will likely tend to decrease reliability proportionately, IMHO.

Do your homework, including a lot of Google searching, read up on some of the beginner technical primers to understand the basics, and compare the specs closely to decide what will best fit your needs and expectations... I found many threads where guys made cam decisions that they regretted as they just didn't fit their conditions.

I certainly don't profess to be knowledgable on this subject, but I was where you are just a few short weeks ago and have been through that exercise myself, so wanted to share.

I myself ended up going with the Andrews 31h, and after getting through the break-in period I'm just getting a chance to get more aggressive with it, but it certainly seems to have accomplished what I was looking to do.

Good luck with your decision!
Roger

Old 01-09-2011, 04:54 PM
coronerrpm
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Thank you for all the responses. At this time is is going to be a cam only swap. If I do the motor down the road it will be a big bore and head work but I will do a cam swap then again to take advantage of the big bore and head work.
I have looked at the many cam company's web sites and still can't figure this one out.
I will do the swap myself and would like to stay away from going with a .030 head gasket with some of the cams out there.
I have built many small block chevy drag motors years ago and picking a cam for those was a lot easier. I just never did a harley motor before.

Old 01-09-2011, 07:44 PM
tunaman
Road Warrior
Received 309 Likes on 203 Posts

Take a look at this site - that was a really good table to compare many of the cams and specs: http://www.nightrider.com/biketech/camdb.htm

Roger

Quick Reply: Cam sugestions please