Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A Few Ape Questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 05:51 PM
jd8181
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default A Few Ape Questions

i'm looking to put apes on my 03 night train but have a few questions first. i'm looking at probably getting a set of 16", i'm 6' and wonderig if that sounds about right. i switched my seat to a corbin solo so it sits kind of low. also i was wondering what size of risers most people are running and what length cables i would need to get? i've read about people talking about norrow and wide. what is the difference?

Old 01-06-2011, 05:59 PM
TW
Road Master
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Personally, if I was using 16's on a Softail with that low seat, I'd be reaching- especially while turning. I also prefer the look of the short (2") risers with apes, but that's just personal preference. Now, I'm a little shorter (5'10") than you, but I have a Softail with a Badlander seat and the 14's are just right. They work good for me on my Road King, too.
Most handlebar manufacturer's can advise you on cable length, etc. That's why I use Wild 1 brand- very knowledgeable folks.
You basically have a Wide Glide front end on that Night Train, so my advice is to go with the wider apes, but again, personal preference.
Good luck.

Attached Thumbnails A Few Ape Questions-2005-5.jpg  

Last edited by TW; 01-06-2011 at 06:05 PM.
Old 01-06-2011, 06:04 PM
Ash16
Outstanding HDF Member

Wide and narrow are references to the width at the base of the bars.

Old 01-06-2011, 06:08 PM
txfiremedic
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Going by what has been mentioned on here before....sit on your bike with both arms out (as though grabbing your apes) about where you feel is most comfortable and have some one measure from your hands down to the top of your trees.....subtract the riser height from your measurement and and that's the length of apes you want to order.

Example: my measurement was 14-15 inches ( I didn't want my hands above my shoulders), I wanted short risers...1 1/2 inches, wound up with 12 1/2inch apes.

Most common length cables are posted here, just have to search after you decide which size apes you want. HCC has done all the calculations for you if you order from them.

Narrow or Wide? Depends on what looks good to you. Just make sure the Apes you order fit your trees (width)

Old 01-06-2011, 06:13 PM
Steelhammer
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm just in the process of putting Wild 1 16" chubbys on, I have all the part numbers for most everything. Let me know if you want them.

Old 01-06-2011, 07:43 PM
RocketRocker
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You can go to the magnum shielding homepage at: http://magnumshielding.com/ which are identical to the HD cables. Magnum shielding have all the stock lengths and the plus up length sizes...great reference. As to play it on the safe size I would measure the distance with a piece of twine and route it exactly as you would the cables...then mark the twine and measure (thats the most effective and safest way). As for risers on 16" apes, I would go with a 1" or 2" for maximum stability, if you start going with tall risers you will lose more stability with speeds in excess of 70mph. Good luck on the bar swap.

Old 01-06-2011, 08:36 PM
jd8181
Road Captain

thanks guys. it looks like i need to go out and measure to see what it says. why is it that some peoples apes lean forwards (like ash16's) some straitup (like TW's) and some lean back towards the seat (i don't really care for that look) how can i make sure mine are strait up if not alittle forwards?

Old 01-06-2011, 08:43 PM
jd8181
Road Captain

i also have a tach mounted on my risers. what am i going to have to do with that? any one with apes have a tach? (you can probably see that tach in this pic)

Attached Thumbnails A Few Ape Questions-003.jpg  
Old 01-06-2011, 09:01 PM
Ballsout
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Im 6'0" and I installed 18s on my Fat Boy last winter. I was kicking around whether to go 16s or 18s. Im 100% happy that I went 18. VERY comfortable pushed a little bit forward. I did an HCC kit. Do a search for "THE ape install" if you want to read my write-up on it.

Good Luck

Old 01-06-2011, 09:41 PM
Kowan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jd8181
i also have a tach mounted on my risers. what am i going to have to do with that? any one with apes have a tach? (you can probably see that tach in this pic)
With short risers, that tach might be too close to the tank dash.
If the tach itself can rotate, you could mount it on the upper bolts of the riser top clamp, but that might require a new mounting plate since the holes are further apart.

Quick Reply: A Few Ape Questions