Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jiffy stand makes my heart skip a beat

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 10:05 AM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 12,240 Likes on 4,779 Posts

Get down there and take a look at how it works. It's a very simple but effective design. Once you know how it works you will never have a problem again. As others have said, you just need to have it all the way deployed (that sounds smart huh) so the tab goes in the slot and as long as the bolt is tight and the tab is not worn round it won't go anyplace.

Old 01-05-2011, 10:41 AM
Ockam
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The softail jiffy stand has been solid for me. I think some guys already gave you some good suggestions. I saw them manufactured in York and they are the real deal.

Dyna jiffy stands though seem to be a different beast. When I had my Street Bob it always seemed dodgy and had too much play when taking the weight of the bike.

Old 01-05-2011, 09:09 PM
Matt990724
Road Master
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

yeah.. I just swapped my floorboards for forward controls... have a new respect for that jiffy stand mechanism..

btw, why the F is it called a "jiffy stand"? I swore they were called "kick stands"... then I bought a Harley....

Old 01-05-2011, 10:03 PM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 12,240 Likes on 4,779 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt990724
yeah.. I just swapped my floorboards for forward controls... have a new respect for that jiffy stand mechanism..

btw, why the F is it called a "jiffy stand"? I swore they were called "kick stands"... then I bought a Harley....
Don't know this to be a fact but I think the term comes from back before they had side stands they used a stand that swung down from behind the rear fender kinda like a center stand.

The side stand went up and down in a "jiffy" so I'm thinkin that's how it got it's name. Makes sense to me anyway.

Old 01-05-2011, 10:10 PM
toastman
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

never had a problem on my bike

what i do is kick the stand down, then before i lean the bike over i kinda keep my foot chocked against the stand to make sure it doesn't move.

my dad's 07 street glide used to roll (lurch? rock?) about an inch forward after the bike was leaned over on the kickstand. i must have rode that bike 100 times and still every time i parked it my ******* puckered up. what a nightmare.

Old 01-05-2011, 10:17 PM
Chinnk
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dumped mine in the garage the first day I brought it home. I parked it outside and then walked it into the garage later. When I took the weight off the stand it folded slightly. When I let the bike down, it just kept going. Once you have weight on it, it won't give. But mine folds back really easy once the weight is gone. Which is cool, because I have forgotten to put it up a couple of times...............KC

Old 01-05-2011, 11:03 PM
j1mmy
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

have seen several stands flip all the way forward,the lock tab on top needs replaced every once and a while..it is cheap enough

Old 01-06-2011, 05:50 AM
brenn
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by LocoPilot750
Ditto on all the above. I really get nervous when I have the front end cranked all the way to the right, and just as I turn and walk away I hear it it flop over to the left. Just this morning I ordered the HD center stand. I always used one on my other bikes and this Heritage needs one too.
Huh? When I park I put the kickstand down, pull back a little and park in gear with the front end turned all the way left. I've never understood the people I've seen straighten the front when parked (it's not power steering), but I've never even seen one turn it to the right - isn't that as unstable as you can make it?

Old 01-06-2011, 10:57 AM
Matt990724
Road Master
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by brenn
Huh? When I park I put the kickstand down, pull back a little and park in gear with the front end turned all the way left. I've never understood the people I've seen straighten the front when parked (it's not power steering), but I've never even seen one turn it to the right - isn't that as unstable as you can make it?
I suppose it all has to do with incline?

Old 01-06-2011, 01:43 PM
razorback84
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm about to be in the same boat with the jiffy stand. Shotgun shocks are going on soon. I think I'm going to end up getting the Arlen Ness one.

Quick Reply: Jiffy stand makes my heart skip a beat