Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Black Chrome Exhaust - anybody done this?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2011, 09:37 AM
BayBones
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Black Chrome Exhaust - anybody done this?

Just came across this cool Black Chrome paint kit from Duplicolor, and I was wondering if anyone ever used this stuff on their exhaust pipes or heat shields.

Here is the link http://www.duplicolor.com/projects/project/shadow/

They show a car exhaust tip painted in their advertising but they don't say if the product is high temp resistant. It looks like it does a good job on chrome but I am real curious to see if anyone has tried it on bike parts especially the ones that get hot! - post pics if you got em:-)
I think this might look cool on my XBones exhaust heat sheilds but don't want the stuff peeling off after the first ride. All thoughts welcome.

Old 01-03-2011, 10:06 AM
HoggyMtnBreakdown
Elite HDF Member
Received 121 Likes on 87 Posts

I wouldn't count on it being a good product for coating pipes. It doesn't say that it's high-temp resistant. The stuff that is, says it. Their enamel used for coating engines specifies that it's good to 500˚F, for instance. I don't see anything there that resists anything hotter than that. Also, the Shadow line of products is a system that's supposed to imitate the look of chrome, but is not a true chrome coating. But hey, what do I know? That's just what I got from skimming thru their products on the website. It would probably be best to use the "contact us" link and shoot them an email for confirmation. Best of luck.

Old 01-03-2011, 10:46 AM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

several other threads in the yrs past have talked about using high heat paint and only have had so so luck....do a search.

Old 01-05-2011, 03:20 PM
BayBones
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I contacted the manufacturer - Duplicolor - and I posted their reply below. This new product may provide some of us with another option when it comes to painting our exhaust/shield black. This stuff stays shiny and still looks like a deep black!! I guess no one on HD Forums has tried this yet - maybe I will be the first

Here is their reply...

Hello Pat,

Thank you for visiting the Dupli-Color website. We appreciate your taking the time to contact us.

Our Shadow Paint will hold up to 550 degrees F, so it will hold up.

Thank you again for your inquiry. Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Sincerely,
Daniel
Dupli-Color Product Support

Old 01-05-2011, 07:55 PM
Bluemidnight
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BayBones
I contacted the manufacturer - Duplicolor - and I posted their reply below. This new product may provide some of us with another option when it comes to painting our exhaust/shield black. This stuff stays shiny and still looks like a deep black!! I guess no one on HD Forums has tried this yet - maybe I will be the first

Here is their reply...

Hello Pat,

Thank you for visiting the Dupli-Color website. We appreciate your taking the time to contact us.

Our Shadow Paint will hold up to 550 degrees F, so it will hold up.

Thank you again for your inquiry. Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Sincerely,
Daniel
Dupli-Color Product Support
the effect does look really cool. i would say try on a spare chrome piece at first. translucent type paints can take some practice to get even coats.Please however post up pics once you do paint

Old 01-05-2011, 08:44 PM
Caseyx
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got to find this paint ASAP...thanks for the post, I have a few chrome pieces that I was going to pc, so if it doesn't work out, no real loss!

Old 01-05-2011, 09:01 PM
badknees
Road Master

Looks like a good idea but would have to see it in person first.

Old 01-05-2011, 10:59 PM
bluedemon06
Tourer

My dealer built a rocker in all black chrome plating. The exhaust was plated to and the black chrome turned all sorts of colors

Old 01-07-2011, 01:33 AM
tslonige
Road Captain

Maybe the chrome spoke wheels?