Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with a windshield

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2010 | 11:23 AM
opencaliber
Cruiser

Check out clearview windshields. They are sponsors here.
http://www.clearviewshields.com/shop...turer.php?id=9

I ordered one and should have it Monday.

Old 12-31-2010 | 11:28 AM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member

Lookin' thru a windshield has never been an option that I would consider.
I look to look over it, but duck in behind if necessary. JMO.....
BTW Memphis Shades kick a$$ for shields.
I had their Rio Grande on my softail, and it was perfect.

Old 12-31-2010 | 11:30 AM
WAhog
Cruiser

How about this, painted up to match the bike it's great but its a sport look rather than touring. Memphis shades bullet fairing.

Old 12-31-2010 | 11:42 AM
Kowan
Ultimate HDF Member

That looks great painted to match, WAhog.
Here's Memphis Shades recommended choosing the shield's height.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNazL...eature=related

Old 12-31-2010 | 12:17 PM
Rocker_UAE
Cruiser

Originally Posted by opencaliber
Check out clearview windshields. They are sponsors here.
http://www.clearviewshields.com/shop...turer.php?id=9

I ordered one and should have it Monday.

I also went ahead and ordered a clearview shield yesterday.. should be here in a few weeks and ill give u guys some feedback once its on, went with the 25"

Old 12-31-2010 | 12:37 PM
Rocker_UAE
Cruiser

OK, after watching that video im a bit worried my windshield will be too high!

Old 12-31-2010 | 01:16 PM
opencaliber
Cruiser

I cut my HD shield down as shown in the video because I was looking through it, plus I was getting a lot of buffering. Even after cutting it down I still got the feeling that my head was in a paint shaker at highway speeds. I'm hoping after talking to Mark at Clearview and listening to his suggestions my new wind shield will cure the problems I'm having.

Old 01-03-2011 | 11:31 AM
Clearview Shields
Former Sponsor
Default Windshield help and advice

Hi Deadman...wanted to invite you to call or email me. We've been making custom motorcycle windshields since 1986 and have had great reviews of our shields for the Fat Boy. Our shields come ready to mount to the stock OEM brackets.

For the height, we recommend being able to look over the shield by 1-2" while looking at a reference point about 50' in front of you on the ground. With our "recurve" design, you would then get the protection you desire while still having a clear view (pun intended) over the shield.

Look forward to hearing from you...

Thanks,

Old 01-03-2011 | 12:04 PM
chiefe
Tourer

Deadman 77

I cut down my shield this year after watching the above video. I should have done it years ago. Now my riding season is longer (cold Canada) and no more having the wind kick the s**t out of me on long rides. Just a quick note make sure you tape the shield really good on both sides, mine moved slightly when cutting with the jig saw and made a slight mark on the shield. I also cut my shield off the bike. I used a black and decker workmate with a 2x4 on edge fasened to the vice part. I used a second 2x4 on the other side. I screwed the mounting brackets of the shield to the 2x4's and extended the 2x4 towards the section to be cut to support the shield. It worked great. My dealer also mentioned they have templets and would cut it but they are 3 hours away so I cut it myself. As mentioned before I should have cut it long ago. I now feel much better looking over the shield not through it. I guess I never really got use to looking through a shield. As far as wind buffeting, I'm sure the higher the better the protection but I have no problems.
Cheers!

Old 01-03-2011 | 06:34 PM
ejohnson1
Cruiser

Not trying to hijack thread but I have question for Cleaview Shields that may also benefit others.

Looking at HAR-STQ017G GT17 (or 19) for 2010 Softail Custom. I see that the windshield is listed as (3" wider than stock). What is the overall width of this shield? I don't know what your stock width is.

I know to plan on getting a height that is just under line of sight, but there will obviously be times that you are looking through the shield. I wonder if the Recurve feature at the top edge distorts the view at all. Does anybody that uses these shields find the recurve to be annoying to look through?

Does anybody have pros/cons to clear vs. light smoke?

Thanks!

Quick Reply: Help with a windshield