Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Keep stock cables but want different bars?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2010, 10:41 AM
brettnbama
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I will say this, if money is the biggest reason you don't want new cables, then hold out and start putting money together for the bars you really want. If you can find a set you really like that will allow stock cables, then so be it, but don't settle. If you do, you will be doing it all over again down the road.....

Old 12-30-2010, 12:02 PM
TCannon22
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by brettnbama
I will say this, if money is the biggest reason you don't want new cables, then hold out and start putting money together for the bars you really want. If you can find a set you really like that will allow stock cables, then so be it, but don't settle. If you do, you will be doing it all over again down the road.....

This is a very true statement, but I'm probably an exception.
I had no money for bars and cables at all, BUT my brother in law was putting some taller bars on his wide glide, gave me his stockers.
I ran all my wires externally like stock, took me about 15 minutes total to make the switch and now I've got some baby apes.
I will eventually go taller, prob around 14", and knowing that I would have to eventually do it over again, I still invested the little bit of time and no money it took to get rid of the stock Fatboy bars that I hated.

Old 12-30-2010, 12:17 PM
tlb
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I put mini-beach bars on my fatty, kept the stock cables. Then I got a complete set of diamondback cables off ebay for 60 bucks. I would not normally buy used cables, but the guy had the receipts for them. They were less than 6 months old. The guy changes to mini apes and needed extended cables.

Old 12-30-2010, 02:32 PM
Brad2064
Advanced

I hear what y'all are saying and i agree, but i really like those bag drag bars so if I can fit them without new cables that would be icing on the cake. Soooo, will they fit?

Old 12-30-2010, 06:19 PM
chiefe
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Brad

If those ar the bars you really want buy them up. There is only one way to find out if they will fit with stock cables, mount them or at least place them close to your existing bars and do some eyeballing you may get lucky. When I first made changes I put on a set of 4" pull back risers. The brake line needed to be changed the throttle/idle cable was a little tight but worked and clutch was fine. I soon bought new diamond back +6 and changed the throtle/idle. The clutch cable was changed later when I put on the new bars(removing the pull back risers). Also I replaced the brake line with a two piece so if other bars are to go on I only have to buy the top half. Go for it!

Old 01-11-2011, 09:35 AM
Brad2064
Advanced

ok i think i am gonna go with some black mini apes from wild ones inc. Im debating between the 8.5" WO513B, or the 10" WO515B. Which will work with the stock cables? Thanks

Old 01-11-2011, 11:17 AM
babalu
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

i'm kind of in the same predicament, difference is i really want 14 inch carlini gangster apes but i don't want the hassle of installing them because it's a PITA. i looked at beach bars, wide glide bars and others than will probably work with stock cables but at the end of the day i know myself and those carlini apes are going on the bike one way or another. so i'll just save the cash until i can get the bars i want.

as for what will definitely fit the stock cables? not really sure wild ones have a return policy just buy the mini-apes and put them on should take 20 minutes, if they don't fit return them for drag bars or something.