Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Neutral gear help

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2010, 11:30 PM
KUJOE
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Neutral gear help

I am having hard time to finding the neutral gear engine running, I have no problem finding it engine off.
Do I need a clutch cable adjustment???
Thank you guys in advance.

Old 12-26-2010, 11:32 PM
Dake
Club Member
Received 1,038 Likes on 1,030 Posts

What oil you run in the trany? I find it harder to get the light with the synthtic HD oil .

Old 12-26-2010, 11:42 PM
Adammit
Tourer

I actually like the syn3 hd fluid for my tranny. Is this your first bike? Maybe you just need practice?

Old 12-26-2010, 11:46 PM
KUJOE
Cruiser

Nope it's my second bike.....I never had a problem like this before

Old 12-26-2010, 11:52 PM
Dake
Club Member
Received 1,038 Likes on 1,030 Posts

With the syn3 my light would flicker in neutral.

Old 12-27-2010, 12:08 AM
KUJOE
Cruiser

My bike has only two thousend miles on it...It has the factory oil in the trany.

Old 12-27-2010, 07:03 AM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 487 Likes on 355 Posts

First, how much slack is in the clutch cable? Might have to adjust the cable to get full clutch pull. Second, a common fix is to put AFT in the primary. Its usually not the tranny thats having issues with neutral, its the clutch dragging as shown by your ability to easily find neutral when its NOT ruining. I guarantee I will get attacked relentlessly at first over saying this, but search this forum, running Ford ATF in the primary is an extremely common practice. I had never heard of it till it was repeatedly brought up here, on HD FORUMS. I switched simply to give it a try. The clutch works better than ever and of course as a result, finding neutral is so much easier and simpler that I cannot emphasize enough the DRASTIC improvement.

After doing some research I found that most every aftermarket clutch manufacture recommends ATF for their clutches. Harley adds the thick oil because it makes for very forgiving, squishy clutches that anyone can ride without issue. Purists say use what Harley says, I gave ATF a try and I was pretty impressed how well finding neutral became and how much better it shifted, especially when cold. And it GREATLY reduced that first time in gear, morning clunk

Last edited by bikerlaw; 12-27-2010 at 07:18 AM.
Old 12-27-2010, 07:13 AM
deadeye
Road Warrior
Received 92 Likes on 57 Posts

If there is nothing wrong with the clutch, look at replacing the shift linkage with something like this.
http://www.houseofharleyonline.com/p...-33915-09.aspx

I changed mine for looks and because the rubber spacers on the stocker were falling apart. I was surprised how it tightened up the shifting. The thing shifts like a Japanese bike now. No slack or play in the shifting. Its the hiem joints that make the difference, the stockers don't have them.

Old 12-27-2010, 07:34 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,955 Likes on 4,150 Posts
Default learning process

It's a learning process. Until you do, all ways look from low up, never second down. May need to position your shift lever. It's adjustable slightly by the rod adjustment or more by indexing the serration. Be sure to tighten it properly and once your are happy with it remove the nut on the serration and redo with locktite. I found I like mine slightly down in front. That way once I'm in low when I put my toe under it I sort of lefer it up rather then pull it up. May be a bit hard to understand what I am saying but for me if I lift it it wants to jump by neutral. I have more control when I lever. It is a learning process. All Harley clutches drag a little when in. That's the nature of the beast. Its called windage only the wind is the oil between the clutch plates. That's a nice looking bike.

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 12-27-2010 at 07:51 AM.
Old 12-27-2010, 07:39 AM
nikonf8
Supporter
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Default problem

this can also happen if you overfill the tranny. i use red line in my tranny

Quick Reply: Neutral gear help