Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leather Dash Panel Extensions

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2010, 11:36 AM
cwsharp
Stellar HDF Member
Received 152 Likes on 112 Posts
Default Leather Dash Panel Extensions

I know that some forum members had difficulty with a guy that was doing custom leather from Jacksonville, FL. I also got a leather dash panel extension for my bike from Boss Bags when I got my bags. The leather piece from Boss Bags was a total failure, and I believe that they have stopped selling them. They never responded to emails that I sent regarding the poor design and quality of the one that they sold me for $98!

I don't like the ones from Harley because they either have a design on them that I don't like or a cell phone pocket which I thought would detract from the clean lines of my Nightrain. So I went searching and found a guy from the town that I live in who did a great job for me. He made the panel as a sandwich of leather, aluminum sheet, and felt. This protects the tank paint while forcing the leather to hold its form after exposure to the weather, washing, etc.

Here are some pics of what I had done.

Leather Dash Panel Extensions-2010-12-22-15.04.23.jpg

Leather Dash Panel Extensions-2010-12-26-12.03.33.jpg

In case anyone is interested, the guy's name is Mario Rabaglia and his email is mariorabaglia@gmail.com. I think his starting price is $100 and it goes up for any customization. He can do any die color, stiching, lacing, and with a variety of hand made or stamped patterns, logos, etc. I kept mine pretty simple.

C#

Last edited by cwsharp; 12-26-2010 at 11:52 AM.
Old 12-26-2010, 11:39 AM
JIMSFBL
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I lke what you did and I agree with keep your lines with the train. I have a different theme for my bike and here is mine I just had made.

Old 12-26-2010, 11:50 AM
cwsharp
Stellar HDF Member

Very nice . That must have cost a few bucks! Not many people make these because it seems that every model and every year are different. I had to make up a template so that he could make mine.

C#

Old 12-26-2010, 01:02 PM
CountryD
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Dude, that looks bad ***, very nice

Old 12-26-2010, 01:28 PM
ejvette
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 23 Posts

Hog Deluxe makes them specifically for the deluxe and they are of nice quality.

Old 12-26-2010, 03:47 PM
MCSarge
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 448 Likes on 309 Posts

Here's the one I had made for my Night Train

Attached Thumbnails Leather Dash Panel Extensions-img00050-20091121-1336.jpg  
Old 12-26-2010, 06:29 PM
Qdraw
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cwsharp
I know that some forum members had difficulty with a guy that was doing custom leather from Jacksonville, FL. I also got a leather dash panel extension for my bike from Boss Bags when I got my bags. The leather piece from Boss Bags was a total failure, and I believe that they have stopped selling them. They never responded to emails that I sent regarding the poor design and quality of the one that they sold me for $98!

I don't like the ones from Harley because they either have a design on them that I don't like or a cell phone pocket which I thought would detract from the clean lines of my Nightrain. So I went searching and found a guy from the town that I live in who did a great job for me. He made the panel as a sandwich of leather, aluminum sheet, and felt. This protects the tank paint while forcing the leather to hold its form after exposure to the weather, washing, etc.

Here are some pics of what I had done.

Attachment 156817

Attachment 156818

In case anyone is interested, the guy's name is Mario Rabaglia and his email is mariorabaglia@gmail.com. I think his starting price is $100 and it goes up for any customization. He can do any die color, stiching, lacing, and with a variety of hand made or stamped patterns, logos, etc. I kept mine pretty simple.

C#
That is pretty cool, and looks great on your Bike.

Old 12-27-2010, 08:48 AM
cwsharp
Stellar HDF Member

Thanks. I like the sandwich with thin sheet aluminum. It keeps the leather flat and looking new. The lace on the edges is important, too. It helps hold the line of the edge of the leather. I didn't realize how many different patterns there are for lacing... sigh.

I was surprised at how complicated something that looks so simple can be. It gives me new respect for people that provide after market stuff for Harleys. Keeping track of the variations that are required must be a complete and total clusterfrag.

C#