Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbie - suggested initial upgrades?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2010, 06:45 PM
IrishEagle85
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie - suggested initial upgrades?

Hey folks,

I'm looking to get a 2011 Softail Deluxe next year (my first). I have no experience with upgrades/accessories, as my first bike was a '84 Honda VF700C, so I'm looking for suggestions/advice one what to get initially with the bike. I figure I'll start out with a passenger backrest an a basic stage one kit w/ a SE air cleaner, pipes, and EFI remapping. Money may be a bit tight initially, so I was wondering if anyone has recommendations for the best sounding slip ons for around $300 or so.

Thanks for the help,
Dave

Old 12-23-2010, 06:52 PM
JIMSFBL
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by IrishEagle85
Hey folks,

I'm looking to get a 2011 Softail Deluxe next year (my first). I have no experience with upgrades/accessories, as my first bike was a '84 Honda VF700C, so I'm looking for suggestions/advice one what to get initially with the bike. I figure I'll start out with a passenger backrest an a basic stage one kit w/ a SE air cleaner, pipes, and EFI remapping. Money may be a bit tight initially, so I was wondering if anyone has recommendations for the best sounding slip ons for around $300 or so.

Thanks for the help,
Dave
Run while you still can! These guys on here are some of the best modders in the country and once you get under their spell there is no turning back. $$$$$$$$$ RUN!!!! lol

Old 12-23-2010, 06:59 PM
BLKnCHRME09Deluxe
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

LoL!!! He said it well above .... RUN FOREST RUN... $$$$....

Instead of buying $300.00 slip-ons save another $300.00 and grab yourself a complete pipe set-up... Save yourself money and do it right the first time around... Good Luck at getting your bike. The Deluxe is a great platform.

Old 12-23-2010, 07:03 PM
UltraDuke
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yep, save your money. do your research and get what you want. dont settle for second best or some cheap add on mod that you will replace later.

Old 12-23-2010, 07:14 PM
ejvette
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 23 Posts

How ever much you plan on spending multiply that by 5 to get a more realistic $$$ amount

Old 12-23-2010, 08:00 PM
ed parolini
Tourer

Get it/Ride it/Research and buy/Dont hurry

Old 12-23-2010, 08:02 PM
2 Dogs
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Agreed! Save your $$$ and get a complete exhaust system.

Your plan is good...performance pipes, a good breather, and a map will make your ride come to life. I did the same on my 09 FatBoy. If you ask what pipes and breathers are best you'll get 100 differnet responses. As long as you use a good K&N filter type breather you'll be fine. I suggest you listen to other bikes with performace pipes and see how they sound as that will be a personal preference. Do some research and see how they perform. Talk to the guys who do the tuning and who own the bikes.

Me I like the deep throaty sound that Rinehart has. I just installed an RDS breather and a set of Rinehart Crossbacks. Love 'em!

Old 12-23-2010, 08:03 PM
bbeavers76
Road Captain

Haha...I have to agree with everyone above. Save the money on the slip ons. Shop ur stuff around and not everything has to be new. There us always someone out there that is wanting to sell what u need. Good luck homie!

Old 12-23-2010, 08:25 PM
Santo
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

+1 on saving your dough for a real exhaust system, dont spend it on slip ons. You can also start by removing the refectors thats a zero cost mod that will make a big impact on your Luxe. When I first got mine I told myself that I was only gonna change out the tank emblems LOL. Good luck and I hope you have a fat wallet.

Old 12-23-2010, 08:29 PM
Ockam
Tourer

Being relativly new myself, I would have to agree with the veteran bikers about the pipes. Do it right and get a full exhaust. I thought about the V&H slip ons, but think about it, if you decide to upgrade to a full system you are out that initial investment and will have to sell them at a serious mark down to get some of that money back.

Take the following with a bit of a grain of salt, as I am not as experienced as these other guys by far:

2 into 1 systems give you the most performance, but many lack the sound you may be looking for. They tend to look like a elongated single exhaust or a "shlong of chrome."

2 into 2 systems, with a cross over or "bridge" are as expensive or more so than 2 into 1, but tend to have a richer tone and nearly as much performance (depending on the choice) as most 2 into 1. The bridge is often hidden and obscured by the heat shields but looks like "H" on it's side.

Duals are expensive, but like the 2 into 2's most good systems also have a crossover and they have the same rich tones and performance, but you get a pipe on each side of the bike.

2 into 2 without the bridge don't have the performance, but have good sound. they tend to offer more than stock pipes but without a bridge the way the exhaust collects and provides "back pressure" is not the same.

Everybody has an opinion on which pipes look the best for the performance they provide. The one piece of advice, other than skip the slip ons, I will provide is that the 2 into 1 systems are a unique look that is more often seen on performance or racing machines. The Softail Deluxe is the sort of bike you may want to look at True Duals . Its all about the look.

Quick Reply: Newbie - suggested initial upgrades?