Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbie - suggested initial upgrades?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2010, 09:19 PM
kozy22
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Save your money and get pipes. Maybe even before you buy the bike and work in a stage 1 with the purchase.

Best thing I did (so far) is put chrome front lowers on

Old 12-24-2010, 01:51 AM
SMF
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just get a full pipe system bro, btw fishtails look sick on the lux too bad the deluxe is a money pit hahaha

Old 12-24-2010, 07:25 AM
IrishEagle85
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A lot of good advice, thanks. A bit impressive every single one of you said to stay away from the slip ons, so I think I'll follow that bit of advice ;-) As for the actual pipes, I'm looking to keep the two-two straight look on the right side of the bike. Ultimately it'll come down to how much money I walk away with after deployment.

Again, if yall have suggestions on specific brands, at least that'll give me a starting point for research. Looking for something with a nice deep sound, but not quite so loud that it'll wake the neighbors up.

Thanks again,
Dave

Old 12-24-2010, 07:34 AM
harlanrider
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Put the V&H true duels on my Deluxe. Love the sound. Am going to put the fishtails on this winter.

Attached Thumbnails Newbie - suggested initial upgrades?-new-air-cleaner-cover.jpg  
Old 12-24-2010, 07:42 AM
djaudette
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JIMSFBL
Run while you still can! These guys on here are some of the best modders in the country and once you get under their spell there is no turning back. $$$$$$$$$ RUN!!!! lol
Talk about hitting the nail on the head!!!

Old 12-24-2010, 07:46 AM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

Just keep reading in here. by next yr U'll know a looooot more than U do now..

Theirs no BEST of anything, only what we like the best and we all have our own ideas of what that is.

Old 12-24-2010, 08:10 AM
DRL1950
Cruiser

Originally Posted by bbeavers76
Haha...I have to agree with everyone above. Save the money on the slip ons. Shop ur stuff around and not everything has to be new. There us always someone out there that is wanting to sell what u need. Good luck homie!
Same here, forget the slip-ons you will likely end up with new pipes eventually. Just surrender to the dark side now and start spending!!!

Old 12-24-2010, 09:56 AM
Ash16
Outstanding HDF Member

If you can't buy exhaust right away you might try a set of used Rush slip ons. They sound good and there are plenty of guys on here who have an extra set from when they upgraded to full exhaust. Also, I see a set of apes in your future.

Old 12-24-2010, 02:08 PM
Lucky22
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Guys let's get himmmmmmm. No slip-ons otherwise that will be your first not wel spend money. Look for some some pipes like.

Old 12-24-2010, 02:58 PM
brenn
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by IrishEagle85
Hey folks,

I'm looking to get a 2011 Softail Deluxe next year (my first). I have no experience with upgrades/accessories, as my first bike was a '84 Honda VF700C, so I'm looking for suggestions/advice one what to get initially with the bike. I figure I'll start out with a passenger backrest an a basic stage one kit w/ a SE air cleaner, pipes, and EFI remapping. Money may be a bit tight initially, so I was wondering if anyone has recommendations for the best sounding slip ons for around $300 or so.
Don't do anything to it. You don't even have it yet, so you don't know if it needs anything to be what you want. If you have to money for that stuff - Especially for the new pipes, which hurt performance more often than help, use it to put on some detachable saddlebags. Those will actually be useful.

Then ride it for a couple of years and put on what you find out it needs, if anything.

Quick Reply: Newbie - suggested initial upgrades?