Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2007 tank onto 2009

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2010 | 12:40 PM
cammy
|
6th Gear
Unhappy 2007 tank onto 2009

hi guys
i have a question for you.I have just bought a tank/rear fender for my softail custom,it was meant to be off a 2008 nightrain but it seems its off a 2007 bike.Can i make it fit eg fuel pump.Hope someone can help because i don't really want to send it back.
cheers Alistair

Old 12-22-2010 | 01:10 PM
SpicOfTheDevil
Road Captain

i'll try to help...have you got the service manual for your bike? or taken the guts out of the tank?...question is cause i would expect that in your bike the fuel pump is held to a bracket in the top plate and so does the fuel regulator....
i could be mistaken but i think the only diff between 07 and 08 is the bracket that holds the fuel gauge float that sits on the center channel of tank...and this should be easy to modify to fit yours

Old 12-22-2010 | 01:50 PM
seaslugg
Novice

Hi
I have a 07 FXSTC and put a 09 tank on it. I used my top plate and fuel pump from the 07. Only thing I changed was the float assembly. The 09 mounts a little different. At first I did not have a float in the tank then decided to buy the 09 float. To me, the 07 tank on the 09 should not be a problem. JMHO

Good luck.

Old 12-22-2010 | 02:08 PM
cammy
|
6th Gear

i've got a haynes manual and i've taken the top cover off to check the difference and it seems to be the bracket in the centre thats missing

Old 12-23-2010 | 04:44 PM
cammy
|
6th Gear

Originally Posted by seaslugg
Hi
I have a 07 FXSTC and put a 09 tank on it. I used my top plate and fuel pump from the 07. Only thing I changed was the float assembly. The 09 mounts a little different. At first I did not have a float in the tank then decided to buy the 09 float. To me, the 07 tank on the 09 should not be a problem. JMHO

Good luck.
hi mate so if i got hold of a 07 float assembly it should all work out nicely and if i didn't i could still use the tank but with no gauge?

Old 12-23-2010 | 04:58 PM
seaslugg
Novice

I really only trust miles driven as an indicator to when to fill up. I probably put a few thousand miles on it w/o the float. My friends 09 Rocker has a miles to empty function and i would guess yours does also. So i do not know if running w/o the float would effect that. Also i do not know if the ohm reading is the same between a 07 float and a 09 float. I bent my float rod to make the gauge as accurate as possible.
But the answer was you definitly do not need the float. Soory for going a little long winded...

Old 12-23-2010 | 05:13 PM
cammy
|
6th Gear

At least that means i can still use it not yet though its bloody freezing here!

Old 12-30-2010 | 05:09 PM
cammy
|
6th Gear

Not sure if this is going to work just been looking into my tank and by the look of it the bracket in the centre which is missing on the 07 tank holds the fuel pump (a big white thing?)

Old 12-30-2010 | 06:23 PM
SpicOfTheDevil
Road Captain

there's no bracket in the center channel?

the 07 does have a bracket in the center channel, yet it was changed for 08s...i've worked on my 07 train tank, the fuel pump is the biggest thing you'll find inside, it's easy to recognize, it's got a mesh filter on the down side, it's held to a plastic bracket that it's held itself to a metal "arm" of the top plate, it rests in the left side of the tank...the fuel regulator is held directly to the top plate...the fuel gauge float is held to the side of the center channel bracket, it's got a white sqare plastic and the float, it rests to the right side of the tank...

if the tank you've got does not have a bracket in the center channel, then it's pre 07...in that case buy a piece of sheet metal, not heavy gauge to it's easy to work with, make a bracket and weld to tank...that's what i did with the 05 deuce tank i've got on my train....and my fuel gauge is working better than ever...

check this post, there seems to be a bracket to fit the 09 float on a 07 tank...
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/7706322-post9584.html

Old 12-30-2010 | 06:51 PM
Rakthi
Road Warrior

Here is a link to an interesting thread about welding a new bracket into the fuel tank - with pictures. He cut the bracket out of a damaged 2009 tank and welded it in a 2007 one.

It's a couple of posts down

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softa...-models-2.html

Quick Reply: 2007 tank onto 2009