Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

39" cholos

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2010, 11:11 AM
MADDOG808
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry 39" cholos

Aloha All,

Recently I purchased a set of Cholos 39" Longtails through Dr. V Twin. I Requested a set with baffles. Well to make this story short. I got a set without baffles. I did not know this cause:

1. The label on the box did show anything about non bafflfed pipes. Nor did it come with any paperwork within the box.

2. Did the install. I did not noticed the pipes were non baffled till I started them up. My bad for not checking. Pipes sounded nice and loud like others posted. But the bikes idle fluctuates, high to low, high to low. Bikes performance is not good.

3. Took my bike down to my local HD dealer had biked tuned, retuned, mapped, dynoed, you name it they tried it with my SERT. They got the bike tuned a little better. But idle problem still the same. Tech spent 2 hours trying to get it right. But with the set of cams I'm running and non baffle pipes. It's not working out. I previously had the 28" longtails with baffles and bike ran awsome. Overall Tech recommands I run baffled pipes. Thats $210.00 dollars out of pocket.

4. Shawn at Dr. V Twin been trying to help me out. But Samson is giving them hard time. Samson is stating because the pipes were installed. They are not taking them back. I really don't know how I ended up with NON BAFFLED pipes. Somewhere the ordered was mis communitcated.

5. It was suggest by Shawn that I buy another set with BAFFLES. And try and sell the ones I got now here or on Ebay. (Pipes been on the bike for a week/rode twice, once to the dealer. Bike sitting in garage now. Anybody interested PM me please. These pipes are still brand new. These pipes were a Christmas gift from the better half.

6. Shawn recently email me. I guess Samson is suggesting I run their Torque Cones. What will these do for my bike. Seems like more money for a parts thats not going fix the problem I have now! Just send me the correct pipes!!!!

$434.00 for my NON BAFFLED 39" LONGTAILS
$210.00 for TUNING.
$644.00 and still adding up....F!@k!!!!

Sorry to vent, But Im just beyond **** off. I really taught putting on these pipes was going be a good improvement for my bike. But it's just the opposite.. I may just end up putting back my 28's and puting the Cholos back int the box to sit. ANY SUGGESTIONS???

2008 Softail Deluxe
SE STAGE 1
SERT
SE 205 CAMS

Last edited by MADDOG808; 12-21-2010 at 11:15 AM.
Old 12-21-2010, 11:29 AM
BLKnCHRME09Deluxe
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

That blows bro!!! So was that $434.00 for the whole cholo set-up? Or just the slipons?

Unfortunatley.... The error is in both of your hands... Them for sending the incorrect parts... shame on them! And you for the install... shame on you!

If i were in your shoes i would sell them on the internet then buy the correct setup. Maybe Dr.Twin will give you dealer pricing the next time around for the mess up on thier side...

Yep i wanted baffles also... You need back pressure for torque and power.

Old 12-21-2010, 11:34 AM
MADDOG808
Advanced

Just the slip ons.

I would like to get rid of these pipes and buy the correct ones. But can't till someone buys these. Or I get the right pipes sent. Which seems like not gonna happen.

Last edited by MADDOG808; 12-21-2010 at 11:38 AM.
Old 12-21-2010, 11:59 AM
SMF
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That blows bro, try craigslist also

Old 12-21-2010, 12:18 PM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

How about putting a set of baffles in the pipes you have? Torques cones will help, but will not do too much. I apologize for the problem and wish I had taken your call, but unfortunately there has been an issue. You can get a set of baffles that will fit the 2.25" pipes and I would imagine that will fix all your problems.

Yes, there was a miscommuncation somewhere. I don't know who said what to who about what, so i do not know where to point my finger, but I want to resolve this issue for you. When I ran fishtails I ran torque cones and I also put baffles in for a little bit. the bike ran completely different. I have a set of torque cones I will send you for FREE. PM me your address and i will find them and get them out to you. I still think you are going to need baffles as well. I don't have any on hand that will fit those pipes, but you can find some really inexpensively on ebay. I am surprised that your tuner or shop has not suggested this. Let me see what i can find for you.

Drew

Old 12-21-2010, 12:23 PM
beaureed445
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have no skin in the game, but I'd suggest adding baffles as a 1st option, tq cones as a 2nd option. I ran Sampson pipes on my Sporty a few years back, because they came with no baffles.

Old 12-21-2010, 12:24 PM
MADDOG808
Advanced

Drew,

Dose Samson have a set of baffles that will fit into these pipes. If they do then that should solve my problem. Im just curious how do you get the baffles in the pipe and what keeps them in place. I willing to go this route. Let me know A.S.A.P.

I asked them about putting baffles in the pipes. The service guy told me you cant with the pipes I have.???

Old 12-21-2010, 12:26 PM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

You drill a hole in the bottom of the pipe to hold the baffle in place. I will run much better guaranteed. If you are going to do that you might as well add the torque cones too. Send me your address and I will get them out today or tomorrow.

Drew

Drew

Old 12-21-2010, 12:53 PM
Fireman1501
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Big City Mufflers is a way to go in my eyes. I would give them a call and get a part number you may need.

Old 12-21-2010, 12:56 PM
DarkTrak
Road Master

....I was looking for non baffled pipes.....

Quick Reply: 39" cholos