Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

39" cholos

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2010, 02:29 PM
nikonf8
Supporter
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Default pipes

From my experience it seems fuel injected bikes run better with back pressure which baffles will give you in fact Samson recommends you run baffles at least that's what they told me. when i had the Vance and Hines on my bike i had removed the baffles and it ran like crap.Had a lot of hesitation at low rpm. Maybe you would be better off selling them and getting the correct ones if you by baffles they will probably be about fifty dollars then you have to drill a hole as you said in your post. at this point with a hole drilled now it will be much harder to sell the pipes if you have to. I say put them up for sale loose a bit lick your wounds but in the end you will be better off.

Old 12-21-2010, 04:28 PM
beaureed445
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Old 12-21-2010, 04:50 PM
MADDOG808
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DR. V-TWIN
These are the baffles I recommend for you. I am still waiting to find out the inner diaeter of your pipes so I can advise on which you need. We do not sell tehse baffles unfortunately.
http://www.bigcitythunder.com/pages/...rmonsters.html
Drew
Now im wondering if this will work. I just got off the phone with Samson. The service person I talked to stated that you cannot put baffles into the non baffled cholos 39". Because the inlet pipe is smaller diameter, then it gose into a bigger diameter. Whats your take on this Drew. I feel like I'm back to square one again

Old 12-21-2010, 06:25 PM
CountryD
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Dude, that sucks. I had some problems with bubbling on my heat shields. Samson told me, it was because I didnt have my bike remapped. BUT, Ive talked to several people on here, that have run the same setup as I have for years and no problems. So, I contacted shawn and big AL at Dr. and they got the situation resolved. So Maddog the guys at Dr. are there to help bro, mistakes will be made from time to time. Just hope you get it worked out, because it drove me NUTS, until the replacements came. Hope you get things worked out bro, best wishes..

Old 12-21-2010, 06:29 PM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

Well, I still think it could work, but the baffles would have to be smaller than the inner diameter of the pipes. Put the screw for the baffle through, put on a nut or two to center the baffle, and bolt the baffle on. that is what I would do, but Samson tole me the same thing. When I had their fishtails I had the 1 3/4" pipes which are a bit different.

Drew

Old 12-21-2010, 06:47 PM
Malingerer
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The only thing I could suggest is that Big City Thunder makes baffles that go into the head pipes rather than the mufflers.It gives you the same back pressure and anti reversion properties.The only problem I see with this is that those baffles are made for the larger dia. mufflers.which slide over the head pipe,Where as the Samson Mufflers slide into the head pipes.Still think you could make it work.The only problem I for see is the cross over pipe side.Which there doesnt seem to be enough of a straight run to fit the baffle.I would call them and tell them your dilema they may be able to work out a solution for you.

Old 12-21-2010, 06:56 PM
BLKnCHRME09Deluxe
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Man ...straight from the mouths of Samson explaining why you can't run baffles in the newer versions of longtail cholos.... You even called them.

Remember if you if you buy baffles then drill the pipes and they DO NOT work out... then your really stuck with em' ... as they sit now im sure you will be able to get some $$$ back. But with holes drilled in them? You better like a $434.00 + $80.00 baffle pricing... window stick...lol.

Old 12-21-2010, 08:11 PM
Fireman1501
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Put the baffles in head pipe right in front of where the tai pipes connect. That will work just need the inside diameter of the head pipe and do not measure the expanded part. Wish I would have measured mine last week when I put mine on.

Old 12-21-2010, 08:24 PM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

So there is a solution. It may not be what I was thinking, but this should work for you.

Drew

Old 12-21-2010, 08:34 PM
brettnbama
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Man, I hope you get it worked out. For your sake and Drew's....from what I have seen of Drew, he isn't going to sleep until you this gets fixed....

Quick Reply: 39" cholos