Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Swapping out Rocker Front fork oil

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2010, 07:23 PM
shortdustoff
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Swapping out Rocker Front fork oil

Anybody have any tips? I have the service manual, which for someone like me is almost useless without pics. (must be able to see what they are talking about.) Seems straight forward. Biggest difference I see for the rocker is you have to take the wheel and caliper off to drain, and it looks like it takes twice as much fluid as compared to other softails. Any experiences welcome, thanks in advance.

Old 12-22-2010, 07:19 PM
lims
6th Gear
Default I did mine recently

I changed mine recently, and yes it is twice as much fluid as other models take. Biggest pain is that you have basically disassemble the entire thing to drain and then fill it. I took the time to clean the gunk of the springs and fully clean out the old oil from the lower tube.

Getting the top nut back on was a bit of a challenge, I eventually clamped the fork a little further down in the tree, grabbed a two foot two by four to pull the nut down while I had the wife screw the nut in. Pretty simple if you have an extra set of hands.

I had only 5k miles on my rocker and the fluid in the forks was as black as the ace of spades.

Good luck...

Old 12-23-2010, 12:10 AM
m i k e
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

will be tackling this same project soon, im tearing front end off for powdercoat
was also wonderin if its time to drop a lowerin kit too?

Old 12-23-2010, 07:30 AM
duluth
Road Captain
Received 66 Likes on 45 Posts

i changed my oil and lower fork covers to chrome exactly what lims post said pretty easy to do
Mark

Old 12-23-2010, 02:30 PM
brenn
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by shortdustoff
Anybody have any tips? I have the service manual, which for someone like me is almost useless without pics. (must be able to see what they are talking about.)
Whether you figure this one out or not, get one of those Fix My Hog DVD's - if you're not good with manuals, how about a guy on video doing this stuff in real time, explaining it, giving you tools and torque values, etc., the whole way? They go through all of the front-end service stuff, step by step, including changing the oil, best way to get the nut back on, etc.

I have the Sportster and Softail editions and those things are great. (And no, I don't work for them or know them)

If you use a link off this site, I think they discount it $5 or something (I didn't find out until I had bought mine).

Last edited by brenn; 12-23-2010 at 02:35 PM.
Old 12-23-2010, 02:47 PM
phatty2002
6th Gear

Originally Posted by brenn
Whether you figure this one out or not, get one of those Fix My Hog DVD's - if you're not good with manuals, how about a guy on video doing this stuff in real time, explaining it, giving you tools and torque values, etc., the whole way? They go through all of the front-end service stuff, step by step, including changing the oil, best way to get the nut back on, etc.

I have the Sportster and Softail editions and those things are great. (And no, I don't work for them or know them)

If you use a link off this site, I think they discount it $5 or something (I didn't find out until I had bought mine).

Can you point me in the direction of that post/link. looking to buy the service manual and something on dvd.

Old 12-23-2010, 04:41 PM
tracey87
Tourer
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Old 01-01-2011, 03:24 PM
Hotwire
Tourer

I suggest that if you put in the drop-ins... you use the Screaming eagle fork oil it will do wonders for the dive.