Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ALMOST TIME TO PUT HER TO BED.

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2006 | 10:41 AM
nutsy
|
Tourer
Default ALMOST TIME TO PUT HER TO BED.

hate this time of year. soon will be parking bike for winter. doesnt it suck paying insurance bike payment and all other stuff with bike sittin 6 months. sometimes i think friend has right idea. he rents a bike about 15 times a summer for 70 bucs a day hands it back and walks away,no hassles. love havin own bike but sucks when just sittin there. how do u guys feel?

Old 09-27-2006 | 11:06 AM
Denbo
Tourer
Default RE: ALMOST TIME TO PUT HER TO BED.

Yes it does suck and part of my descision to move from NYC to Houston,Tx.

Old 09-27-2006 | 11:41 AM
800XC SP
Tourer

I hear ya, I figure I have about 4-5 rides left here in wisconsin based on my work/travel schedule for October. Usually by November riding is done for the year, at least in my book. Then it's the long wait until spring. But once the snow hits it's onto my 2nd most favorite past time, snowmobiling but with the way the snow has been the last few years that's hit & miss too, last year I only put 800 miles on my sled. If I was going to rent anything I would sell the sleds & rent those when I want to go, that would be cheaper but with both bikes & sleds there is nothing like having your own so I don't think I'll do either. I'm fortunate enough not to have payments on either one of my bikes or any of my sleds so that helps and insurance takes into account that you don't ride for about 4 months a year so they compensate for that, I think I pay about $400 or so for both bikes and $375 per year for the 3 sleds and $60 for the trailer, all have a $500 deductable and full coverage.
I don't know about you but that first ride in the spring every year you feel like it's the first time on a bike, but after a half hour or so it's like you never quit riding.

Old 09-27-2006 | 11:56 AM
badmo
Road Master

Brother in-law has a jet boat with a 454 in it. Thing is cool as hell, but I just talked to him couple nights ago and he had already put it away for the winter.

I think the boating season is much shorter and at least we don't need to pull our bikes on a trailer to a lake some hour or so away if we get the bug on a dry day in November. I know for him at least it will be late spring before he uncovers his toy. For me I will ride any day year round that it does not threaten to pour rain on me.

Old 09-27-2006 | 12:19 PM
smittyp83
Road Warrior

Yep, I hear ya. I'll ride through November as we usually have nice weather up through Thanksgiving here in Chicago. Come December, she'll go to winter storage. Then I'll be hoping for super cold weather so I can pull out the ice fishing gear!

Old 09-27-2006 | 12:34 PM
dert
Road Master

In Texas,we can ride year round.

Old 09-27-2006 | 12:35 PM
800XC SP
Tourer

ORIGINAL: badmo

Brother in-law has a jet boat with a 454 in it. Thing is cool as hell, but I just talked to him couple nights ago and he had already put it away for the winter.

I think the boating season is much shorter and at least we don't need to pull our bikes on a trailer to a lake some hour or so away if we get the bug on a dry day in November. I know for him at least it will be late spring before he uncovers his toy. For me I will ride any day year round that it does not threaten to pour rain on me.
Not to get to far off topic but you are right, boats are a huge waste especially living here in Wisconsin. You get about 4 months use out of them and the weather plays a huge role in how much you can use them. I had boats for about 10 years, my last one was a 30' Regal cabin cruiser, finally about 6 years ago I woke up and did the math, it went like this as far as cost for the 4 months of the year I could use it;
Dock Fees at the Marina for the summer = $1600
Winter Storage and winterizing the engines and water system = $1550
Insurance = $550 per year
I think my payment was about $450 per month
It was powered by (2) 5 liter mercs with 4 barrel carbs and I carried 150 gallons of gas.
Nice days someone allways showed up at the Marina wanting to go for a ride, of course, no beer in hand and never offered to help pay for gas.
I sold it 6 years ago and got back into bikes, best decision I ever made. People allways ask if I miss having boats and without hestitation my reply is "NO"
Here's a pic of my last boat, it was nice but I'll take my bikes any day,

[IMG]local://upfiles/15103/974E4A0412D04EE092159CEEA552101F.jpg[/IMG]

Old 09-27-2006 | 02:58 PM
rk
Advanced

I hear ya 800, we live in central WI. Gotta head north to the cabin to pull everything this weekend. 2 docks, 2 sea-doos, Stingray cruiser and fishing boat. What a pain. Since the kids are gone the stuff hardly gets used anymore. The stuff is not really worth much for re-sale so I just keep it. Grandkids are growing fast so maybe they'll eventually get used.

I'll pull out the sleds and put in the sea-doos. 600xcsp(mine) and mxz600(hers). I don't even bring the sleds down to central WI anymore cuz it hardly ever snows. I missed all of last winter season due to neck surgery so I'm pretty amped to ride this winter. From first ice on the lake (at least 3 inches for me) till good snow I'll catch walleyes in my front yard.

I'd trade it all if I could ride the Scoot year round.

Rick

Old 09-27-2006 | 04:08 PM
otterbob
Tourer

I ride till the salt flies.

Old 09-27-2006 | 04:15 PM
Babs
Outstanding HDF Member

Some of the best riding fun here is in Late November, early December.. The local Toyruns are a blast... Just load up the layers under the leather, put the hoodie and windshield on and brave the cold.. I remember a couple years ago we took the scenic route to a toyrun start.. Still had snow on the ground, down in the low 30's. Pretty much froze our butts off, but what a blast.

Quick Reply: ALMOST TIME TO PUT HER TO BED.