Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ALMOST TIME TO PUT HER TO BED.

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2006 | 10:21 PM
wingnutt
Road Master
Default RE: ALMOST TIME TO PUT HER TO BED.

Been a long time since Ive had to deal with snow and cold temps. But I do remember how it was to only be able to ride a few short months out of the year.
Been in Florida for 18 years and I guess I kind of take it for granted. My suggestion to all who have to deal with all that snow and cold. Load up the bikes on the trailer and head on down to Daytona for Bike Week. Hopefully that will hold off the riding fever til spring.

Old 09-27-2006 | 10:21 PM
RandyM1911
Tourer

Amazing how no matter where you live it seems there's a "season" for riding. I'm with most here, never really put her up for the winter season here in the People's Republic of New Jersey. I'll ride on any nice day that's not too cold (say below 50F) and no ice, sand or salt on the roads. But it sure is nice in the spring and fall when it's around 70-75F and low humidity. I'd be jealous of the guys living and riding in southern California but they have to put up with the traffic and the nuts!

Old 09-28-2006 | 01:13 AM
THEBIGPUNN
Cruiser

i live in MI and sometimes it seem as all seasons are the same. i plan on not putting her in "full" storage. im riding as long as there is no salt on the roads and dry out. i just broke out my full face for some cleaning.

Old 09-28-2006 | 01:17 AM
bikerbehaviorist
Road Master

California rider here. Right now is my favorite time of the year - getting a little nip in the air, will be that way through Oct. Then is starts getting wet. But those days between the rain in the green hills
Never really put the bike away - probably the most was a week or so of rain

Old 09-28-2006 | 01:37 AM
oldfartjc
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: bikerbehaviorist

California rider here. Right now is my favorite time of the year - getting a little nip in the air, will be that way through Oct. Then is starts getting wet. But those days between the rain in the green hills
Never really put the bike away - probably the most was a week or so of rain
No nip in the air yet in the Phoenix area, it was 101° today, in fact there is rarely a nip in the air but I do feel for those who have to put their buike away for winter. I know what it's like as I moved here to Phoenix from Butte, Montana over 21 years ago.

Old 09-28-2006 | 02:01 AM
Rambler
Tourer

Livng is S. CA, these stories are hard to relate to. Moved here from PA 15 years ago. You can ride year round with limited rain during the winter

Old 09-28-2006 | 10:38 AM
denm316
Intermediate

This will be my first winter of riding. I originally thought it would be no big deal and would be able to ride as long as there was no snow here(right outside of philadelphia). The the other day I was riding home after getting the bike inspected and I couldnt believe how cold it seemed. I dont think I will be riding all year...maybe on some nice days...but overall I really dont need the hypothermia.

Old 09-28-2006 | 11:37 AM
Broken Leg Rider
Road Master

In the New Orleans area, hard core riders are there year round (unless they are evacuated to somewhere else!). The yuppie set bails for winter and the summer raining season too.

For me winter is hunting season so the weekends are spent in a tree Still the bike goes to work except on the really cold and rainy days.

Old 09-28-2006 | 11:48 AM
Dr. Fatboy
Advanced

I hear you loud and clear from Minnesota. The detachable windshield is pretty much on all the time this time of year. Still some great riding yet though enjoying the fall colors. Then...it's up on the lift with the battery tender on for that long cold haul (Brrrr.....)

Old 09-28-2006 | 12:24 PM
RandyM1911
Tourer

I hear you up there in MN. Even though I'm in NJ I work for a WI based company and travel there often. I don't envy you the long, cold winters. Here in coastal NJ we can get surprised by warm weather fairly often over the winter so there's never a time that the ride is really in storage.

Quick Reply: ALMOST TIME TO PUT HER TO BED.