Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help Coil Relocation Ideas for Softails???

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2010, 08:22 AM
handyhoward
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

These kind of mods are always easier with the tank off... I am almost ready to put the tank back on. Made the bracket out of an old piece of galvanized sheet metal that was laying around... not hard at all. Couldn't use the horn bracket... I wanted to keep the air horns mounted where they were and the compressor is behind the horn bracket.

Attached Thumbnails Help Coil Relocation Ideas for Softails???-hpim0669.jpg   Help Coil Relocation Ideas for Softails???-hpim0674.jpg   Help Coil Relocation Ideas for Softails???-hpim0673.jpg  

Last edited by handyhoward; 12-18-2010 at 08:25 AM.
Old 12-18-2010, 11:18 AM
PowerSmoke
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

take a look at the pics in my profile.
I used a roland sands upper motor mount assembly, that has bolt holes for the ignition. There are two styles available, one is made for coil relo.
You have to remove the stock horn assembly. I took the horn out of the bell, and mounted it under the tank, right above the carb.
The ignition wires are plenty long enought to reach, if you fish them out from under the tank.

Also--look at Todds Cycle, or Alloy Art, for a choke relocation. (Todd designed it, alloy makes it)
I just put the polished version on my Mikuni last week, and it looks like amazing. Should come like this from mikuni.
Todds makes awesome quality parts. Cheap.

Old 12-18-2010, 01:40 PM
story808
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks guys... So I think maybe a kit isn't needed because we all have different spots we would like them to mount... Thx for all the ideas I really appreciate all the input! I'm gonna have to take mine apart and check it out... My horn is already mounted under the splash guard above the shocks... so I will have to make a mount for the coil and see if it gets in the way of my choke cable, which I may have to relocate? I'll be sure to let you guys know what happens.

Aloha, Mark

Old 12-18-2010, 01:47 PM
SpicOfTheDevil
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Ash16
I like the way that looks. What length are your spark plug wires?
they are 8.5" from magnum shielding...here's the specs...

Attached Thumbnails Help Coil Relocation Ideas for Softails???-sparkplugwiresspecs.jpg  
Old 12-18-2010, 02:17 PM
chrome-dome-dave
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I made a bracket to mount at the lower inside of the rear splash guard. The kit would be equally long plug wires, wire seperators, new spark plugs and all stainless steel hardware. My bike is carb so I didnt have to extend any wires, just had to re-route them. Now on my roomates bike, which is F.I. and I only had to extend 1 wire which was really easy, just alittle soldering.

Old 12-18-2010, 02:54 PM
JakesDad1
Road Captain

Originally Posted by story808
Yeah thats the kinda stuff we need... Now how does the coil cover mount to the bracket?
The cover has one hole, I'll probably drill one more.

Old 12-18-2010, 03:37 PM
Blk and Chrome
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I installed mine behind the horn cover like most have done, here are a few pics. I just made a bracket to hold the coil and extended the wires.

Attached Thumbnails Help Coil Relocation Ideas for Softails???-imgp2350.jpg   Help Coil Relocation Ideas for Softails???-imgp2351.jpg   Help Coil Relocation Ideas for Softails???-imgp2359.jpg  
Old 12-18-2010, 03:48 PM
10_Crossbones
Cruiser
Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

Cool ideas

Old 12-18-2010, 04:10 PM
Harvey96
Advanced

Originally Posted by handyhoward
These kind of mods are always easier with the tank off... I am almost ready to put the tank back on. Made the bracket out of an old piece of galvanized sheet metal that was laying around... not hard at all. Couldn't use the horn bracket... I wanted to keep the air horns mounted where they were and the compressor is behind the horn bracket.
This would be perfect but would it work on an 08 N/T.
Would like to keep the horn in it's spot.

Old 12-18-2010, 10:05 PM
Dustmaker
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by story808
Hey Dust... How you doing brah??? You all healed up? Thats whats happens when you have a bike that drags on the ground... lol
Yep...that last super glue they used seemed to do the thing....leg dont fall off any more

Quick Reply: Help Coil Relocation Ideas for Softails???